Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am going to look at goldendoodle puppies in 2 weeks.
I am wondering about a playmate for Max (labroadoodle)he's 5mos now and will be 7mos old when we would get the puppy.

I once raised 2 small papillons together but as I said they were small and a complete different breed.

Any suggestions?? I worry Max would be rough with a 12wk old puppy, also how is it crating 2 doodles.

I figure it will be crazy for the 1st 10mos but wondering as they mature it will possibly calm down????? We would love a playmate for max.

I know some of you have 2 or more doodles...So any advice, insight, etc would be greatly appreciated

thank you so much

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
MaxandMe said:
OK, I am going to look at goldendoodle puppies in 2 weeks. I am wondering about a playmate for Max (labroadoodle)he's 5mos now and will be 7mos old when we would get the puppy.

I know some of you have 2 or more doodles...So any advice, insight, etc would be greatly appreciated

thank you so much
We got Toby when Lani was 6 months old, it was kind of a spur of the moment decision. It has been a challenge at times but I don't regret getting a 2nd doodle. They are best of friends and partners in crime. Toby is very sweet but is naughty, digs, counter surfs, steals shoes etc. We have said that if he came first there might not be another. Potty training ws easier with him since she was pretty well trained. They are a handfull but I love the!!!! They are crate trained. We have a neighbor that comes over 2x a day to let them out (since Lanmi was 8 weeks old).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Here is another link from a while back

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... 2nd+doodle

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You will be fine just watch Max closely if he is rough don't let him alone with the puppy. I brought Tejas home with 2 older dogs in the house and they all did fine you just have to watch them and see how they act together. :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
AHHHH, the doodle bug has bitten yet again :D This is a decision only you can make but it is inevitable (sp?) that you will end up with two Doodles, the only question is will it be now or in the near future :)

There are so many things to consider, just remember that each one will need individual attention while learning. I wouldn't worry about Max being too rough. It's amazing to see how gentle and careful they are with smaller, younger pups, most of the time anyway :D

Good luck in your decision :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohhh thanks so much..and yes doodle bug has bitten big time hahhahaa
I am debating to let Max mature 1st vs a puppy and him could grow up together maybe even bond quicker?

See next year only 1 teenager is left in this house with myself, my fiance and our baby, Max. so I don't mean to sound wishy-washy about another doodle...just the ole NOW or LATER decision and which is best for Max since he's still a puppy.

I have ALWAYS had male dogs and was thinking we should get a FEMALE?
of course max is a submissive male.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When we adopted Lizzie and Louie at 2 years old--we were not thinking about any doodles--much less two. Then...fate stepped in and we were blessed with these two wonderful dogs. There were times we wondered what we were thinking adding two more dogs to the family--but it has turned out to be great !! They have totally different personalities--but they compliment each other and are great companions. They are very respectful of our 14 year old terrier--know he is top dog. And get along well with grandog Shelby when she is visiting-which is almost every day. From our experience Doodles seem to do really well with other dogs--and really seem to enjoy being part of a group. I would say---go for it!! It will be a good thing. Kathy

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you so much everyone for the encouragement.!!!

The pups are really young still 4-5 weeks old..

And believe it or not I also check for older doodles and/or poodlemix in my area (just in case one is out there needing a 2nd chance).

I started a new job last week and waiting to see if i get transferred to the store 8min from my house that way I could run home at times. MY boss has 2 goldenretrivers that he goes home to walk and see during the day. So he understands and it trying like hell to have my permanent position closer to home. can you believe that??? i'll know in a week.
Between myself, my fiance and my teenagers there's only a few hours no one is home.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sounds like you have a wonderful boss :) Things have a way of working out :wink:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fred's "sister" dog is only 20 pounds--compared to his 73 pounds, but he is amazingly gentle with her when they play. He is a year older, and we were careful to not leave them alone together at first, but he has been great with her since she joined the family. He is amazingly gentle with her, even though it can look like they are playing rough. Two dogs are definitley more fun than one--they keep each other amused and entertained, which can be entertaining for us humans. Beofre we had Betty, Fred would get bored and he seemed to be very much in need of another dog companion. I still think he would have preferred another doodle though, and I just keep on having these urges to get another one--which then makes me think if I get another big dog, I might need to get another small dog for Betty--and that might be excessive.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
comeon Ronnie say it" I ronnie am another doodleaholic and hereby promise to get another one" :wink:

MY teenagers went to the breeder's tonight to see Max's father and also the goldendoodle puppies. I have a funny feeling we'll have a labradoodle and goldendoodle household in another 7weeks. Puppies are only 3wks old right now.

here I was debating if I should....and well lets say I can go visit them weekly. My breeder lives 4mi away and we've become friends. hahhahaa and I've also sold 2 pups in the same litter for her so far

My floors will never be shiny and clean again...but my heart will always be warm and happy. I'll take the wartmth !!!

I Annmarie hereby admit 100% addiction and promise to STOP at 2 doodles!!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yeah, right :D I hear ya AnnMarie, you did say 2 Doodles, right?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gene said:
maybe a "start" with 2 more, we've seen the size of your yard....you could fit a corral full of doodles there.... :wink:
Gene...if I won the LOTTO tomorrow hell i'd either have a dozen of them or more hahhahaa

hmm 6 acres let's see about 4.5 full open acres....20ft deep 60ft wide creek...a walkout basement not really being used...

oh wait gene...1 doodle /1 acre...means 6 doodles/6 acres. Sorry I can't have a cdozen :wink:

OK DREAM TIME IS NOW OVER hahhahaaa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts