Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was sent to me by a friend whose husband is a veterinarian and who raises Rhodesian Ridgebacks - for fun and not much profit! I was surprised because we sometimes give our dogs grapes from our vines as a special treat when we're munching them ourselves.

Leslie

***************

If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen
at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix
that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM
on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal
failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her
bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service
at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about
it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison
Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 1/2 times
maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both
are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV
catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and
the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after
a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal
failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor
urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again,
his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150,
skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea
raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog
of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or
grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or
raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give
rise to immediate concern.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is
worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above...

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,203 Posts
Thank you for sharing that letter ...I too am aware of raisens and grapes amongst some other foods.

HOWEVER it is always good to have a reminder and to share with friends and family how some foods can be fatal to dogs.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top