Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We had a friend lose a dog this morning to GDV (Gastric Dilatation/Volvulus). He was told by his vet that feeding out of raised food dishes can contribute to this. After a few brief searches on the web it seems that this theory does have quite a bit of support.

We have been feeding Dante out of raised dishes (the breeder recommended it) Now I am questioning if this is the right thing to do.

Anybody else have an opinion?

Heather

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i don't know if my thought is an opinion but here goes. Dogs always ate on the ground since day 1.
NOW i always wondered who came up with the idea a dog needs a raised dish like humans. BUT then again i also think with older dogs with arthritis and other painful ailments raised dishes could be a blessing.

For me i am one who says if GOD intended dogs to have furniture and rasied dishes he'd have put them in the forest years ago hahhaha
i also let Max sleep with us :roll:

as far as GVD...i have heard of this but haven't known of anyone with this problem yet.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
it was a big deal for awhile to have our dane eat out of a raised dish for bloat, but then it was told to us not to. not sure the right answer, but ann marie makes sense, dogs have always eaten from the ground. I did have a mini poodle that had neck problems and I would elevate his food, but the pain relief would outweigh my other concerns there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We've always fed from a raised dish because our first dog is a Dane (bloat). We've not had any problems. Regarding nature, my Dane just naturally eats rocks and socks, but I don't think they're good for him :wink: . Just kidding. Sometime I wonder how dogs have evolved because they seem kind of self destructive sometimes with what they most want to consume.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
sessa35 said:
p.s. i think the key to understanding canine "evolution" involves the heavy and pervasive influence of human intervention...,,but, its only my 2c :)
Someone was sleeping with the dictionary last night! :wink: Thise words are worth at least a dollar!! :lol:

I started Jonah with the raised dishes, Miko is still eating in her crate due to Jonah's food aggression towards her. She has a raised set also...just doesn't get to use them. :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
All depends...are you a "use the dictionary with your turn?" or "check to see if it's a real word afterwards?" I only use it to check the validity of a word....my family on the other hand.... :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts