Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted on the intro area ... basically, I've had Noodle for approx 3 months. She's an amazing dog ... so so so smart and so so so cute!

But she still has two issues I can't seem to halt.

1) She has an issue with strangers. She barks and shrinks away when someone approaches her. For instance, the other day we were down at the barn and she was running around off-lead. Someone came around the corner (a new visitor) and she freaked out. Barking and going crazy. She didn't lunge at him, but she did cause a huge ruckus. She wouldn't listen to me whatsoever. How do I handle that sort of thing?

2) She's great with dogs she knows ... but when we go for walks she gets super excited (lunging forward, barking) when she sees another dog. Of course then the other dog gets all hyper and things can go downhill. She's in a gentle leader which has helped a lot, but she still will go crazy if there's another dog in her line of sight.

I don't think she's being aggressive in either case however the other dogs/people don't know that!

So ... anyway, thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
How often does Noodle have contact with new people or dogs? If its infrequent then maybe she needs more opportunities to practice her social skills. I think this is a pretty common thing with dogs. Some outgrow it early and some may take longer. I've seen some that never seem to get past this but most dogs that meet people daily, develop some restraint.

Deb

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bodzin does the same thing. He is 6 months old and his prior owners gave him away because he was shy...
We have been taking him by the collar and leading him up to strangers. If we have a treat, we give it to the other person, if they are willing and most are, and let them feed him. Then we ask them to pet him under the chin. He has already shown a lot of progress in the month that we have had him.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I saw a number of episodes from Dog Whisperer where Cesar Milan deals specifically with these two issues. There was one just two nights ago very very similar with what you described. I believe it is season 2. Worthwhile watching.

I do not have experience with this myself. Emily absolutely loves everybody -- I have th opposite problem she wants to approach and play with everybody

Maria and Emily

G

·
Hi and welcome. I read your post in introductions to see how old Noodle was. My best friend went through the same thing. She got her golden as a rescue at about 1.5 years old. The first few times I met Tori she had to be crated because she would growl bark and bite. Tori kept being socialized and crated when she would bite bark or bite. It took time and patience but now she is a very socialable dog. For the most part this behavior is gone and if she does bark or growl she is told to knock it off and she is fine.

By crated I mean put in a room by herself. An actual crate was not used.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Socialize socialize socialize and then do it some more
Do you have any doggie daycares near you or puppy classes????????

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sofie is the same. She goes to daycare once a week and she goes to the dog park and plays with dogs every day. People is another story.... im trying! :?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the feedback and the warm welcome! All of your doodles are so adorable! I love seeing them all. Makes me feel at home.
:D

I haven't tried the treats but that might be a good idea. She is VERY food driven. I just don't want her to think that she gets a treat when she misbehaves so I guess I would need to find a way to calm her down first.

As for socializing at the dog park ... um.... I don't take her out as often as I should mainly because of this issue. I do know that the more I've exposed her to other things, the better she's done so perhaps I need to find a spot to take her that won't be overwhelming but will allow her to at least experience a few more people and other dogs.

And Ceaser ... he's a genius! I'll have to see if I can dig up that episode. I generally Tivo it so it might be in my list (cross your fingers).

As for doggy daycare .... I did think about that but heard somewhere from someone (see how trustworthy that might be since I can't remember who or when!) that taking them to daycare with unstructured play actually encourages them to be more hyper and listen less. Personally, I've not had any experience ... so am open to your feedback on that topic.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max used to be like that bark and bark at my son's friends and anyone he didnt' know. he also would get an instant turbocharge when he saw other dogs

once he was 9mos old i enrolled him in obedience class and the training along with socialization made this behavior cease.

I also made more playdates for him with other doodles in our area, fostered kirby and and now with Beau he is calm as can be.

I also bring him to Country Max when getting his food ....for socialization

I also wonder too if for some dogs its both socialization and age

G

·
About daycare....I can't say enough about daycare. Maya has been going since she was 4mos old (that is the age when most daycares allow them to start). I have no problems with her not listening and as far as being hyper....welll there my be some truth to that but they have a lot of other dogs there to play with and burn the "hyerness" off. When Maya gets home from daycare she has dinner and then passes out on the couch. I literally have to push her off to get her to go potty for the night.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We have some similar problems with Kirby...not that he's afraid of people/dogs, but the opposite that he cannot stand if he can't meet them. It's tough because some people just don't want their dogs near other dogs. If we let him meet/sniff the other dog he calms right down (but again this isn't always possible).

It's tough...we do socialize him, but he's totally fine off leash w/other dogs. It's just when he's on the leash. I know he started flipping out this morning when my husband walked him. The prob is that when he starts flipping out, the other dog owner gets concerned and then really doesn't want him to meet his/her dog :shock:

I think we need to go to a park and do serious leash training...doesn't help that it's winter.

Sorry for digressing...I too see these things on Caesar Millan all the time...I wish we could get him to come visit :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts