Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found I am allergic to my current dog. I refuse to give him away. But as he is getting older i would like to get a dog I might be less allergic to. I heard poodles have hair and not fur. Which helps with the allergy issue. I live an active outdoors lifestyle and want a dog that can keep up. I love labs because the have a love for water like i do, but the allergy prob. Poodles are ok, but.. not my thing. So here is the question. Labradoodles do they come in different styles. example.. some look more poodle-ish or do some have the less curly hair more like a Lab?

How do I find such dog/pup if this is true?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks sue

But would you mind elaborating a bit more?

Whats the stuff about F1 etc. I am feel really confused.

BTW your Denver is a very handsome dog.
Is he considered a more Lab look alike?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Bahahahhhahaaaa!!!
Sorry could not resist.
Welcome to Doodleland
In this forum you will be able to see
pictures of just about any "Generation " of Labradoodle
you want.
There are many breeders here who can tell you when they will have pups due and help you with probably exactly what you are looking for.
I have an F1 Chocolate Labradoodle who loves the water and outdoor
activities. All Labradoodles are different as any other dog, but you
have come to the right place for whatever help you will need.
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greattttttttttttt I always find the wise guys. LOL

I also noticed the goldendoodle, i love goldens along with Labs. Some very interesting combo's

I kind a feel like a kid in a candy shop!!! I am excited
I really need a dog that loves water and rides in my jeep.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Dogonit
Denver is considered to be more of a lab look than poodle.
To me he just looks like Shaggy Denver(Hahahahahahaa)

These dogs have the most wonderful temperments and are fantastic
companions as long as you choose your breeder correctly.
Do not hesitate to keep on asking questions, I did and ended
up with the most loving dog I have ever known.
Can you tell I love this breed???

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Dogonit :) You have wondered upon a very informative Doodle forum and I hope we can answer all your questions and help you with your decision.

The F1 does shed but not like a Lab, usually, therefore the F1 is not recommended if you have allergies. But, that's not to say you would have a problem with the F1. I have sold F1's to people with allergies and they have gotten along wonderfully with no problems whatsoever (of course, they were willing to live on allergy medicine if need be but that was not necessary as it turned out). The F1's have more of the wispy, wavy look as in Denver, some are a little less, some a little more. Part of the fun of the F1 is you really never know for sure what look you will end up with. The F1's on the most part are very easy maintenance.

The F1b's have more poodle in them, therefore more curl and less shedding if any. This generation is most recommended for people suffering with allergies. They can be high maintenance, depending on the coat (wooly or fleece).

And the generations go on and on and the more generations, the higher the price.

If you go to the photo gallery of this website, you can see the many different looks of the Labradoodle. They are divided up into generations which makes it easy for you to look thru the pictures and know what generation you are looking at.

Happy Doodling :D :D

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota is also an F1. He looks a lot like a cream colored Denver. Dakota has what is considered "wire hair" and he does shed, but as Diane said, he does not shed like a lab. Doodles are wonderful dogs and you will be delighted with whatever generation you wind up with/whatever generation meets your allergic needs. Good luck and have fun looking for your doodle! :D
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Tossing in my 2 cents...my kids and husband have allergies to some dogs but are not allergic to our doodles who are F1s. They have issues with shorter hair dogs---beagles, boxers etc.

Just wanted to see if I could add any confusion.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We have an F1 LD. She sheds a little, maybe 10% of what a lab would. But she doesnt provoke allergic reactions in a couple of family friends that have problems with other dogs. Its kinda hit and miss on the allergy thing.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Chesterpal wrote
Just wanted to see if I could add any confusion.
More confusion as not all F1's shed. Denver has not shed
and he is 1 year old. Will he shed in the future I do not know.
Would he cause allergies? not to anyone that he has been around so
far(meaning he has been around friends who are so allergic to dogs) and we do not have allergies so we really do not know.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hi, DogGonit, and WELCOME!

There are LOTS of great people on this forum! And some breeders I'm proud to call friends, too!

The reality of genetics in living creatures is a big factor and so breeders have a lot to learn as they go. I would suggest you consider finding a breeder first, and interview SEVERAL. The beauty of that is that you also will learn a lot from them! With your being new to Labradoodles I would recommend settling with one who is glad to teach you a bit, ya know? :D

There will usually be SOME non-allergenic Doodles in an F1 litter, but typically the majority will shed, and therefore present a risk to your allergies. Likewise, there are usually SOME that are more 'labby' in an F1b litter, altho I was very surprised when ALL 12 of our puppies from Sheba were fleece or wool-coated! Ahh, the mystery of the gene pool!

You are exactly correct about the 'hair vs. fur' issue. And with the fur comes the shedding hormone typically, yet even in our f1b puppies we see that loving devotion of a Lab come through, loud and clear!

In my f1b puppies I do see that some love the water and some are more indifferent. My Poodle-mom, Sheba LOVES the water! She plays 'fetch' with the stream coming out of the hose, and feels she MUST bite it! It's hilarious to watch.

So you should be able to find a nice, allergy-friendly, water-loving Doodle!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome DogGoneit Great name by the way I have 3 doodles 2 multie generational and a F1B Lil is my F1b and she does shed some but does not seem to affect my allergies to much Walt is a multi and he does not shed at all and Roy is only 4 weeks too soon to tell but with a house full of puppies and holding them all the time my allergies are doing awesome I am very allergic to regular dogs When I visit friends I need to take medication and even the I come home and shower and I still get stuffy and if the dog licks me I get hives but it is so hard cause I love all dogs. Good luck with your search

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi DogGoneit,

Our Dexter is a F1B. My husband has allergies (only proven with cats and huskeys) and we were concerned to get a F1 since they could be more lab-like (and we didn't want to get to where we are in love w/our dog but have to give him/her away due to allergies). If your allergies are bad I would suggest looking at a F1B (however they aren't even guaranteed) or choose a F1 who looks less like a lab. I'm sure the breeders here can give you better advice (like what type of hair to look for) and if you work with a good breeder to get your puppy from I'm sure they can point you towards a dog who is less likely to bother your allergies. My husband has no problems at all with Dexter. Oh yeah and he does not shed either.

:)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
WELL SAID, Leslie (M)!!
No reputable breeder will 'guarantee' any predictions about shedding, however if we have done this for a while, and if we have GREAT clients who keep in touch we do learn a bit along the way. There's a world of difference in the feel of the fur that may shed and the fleece or wool coats that are likely to be non-shedding. Our litter (TRUFFLE's LITTER) is the first one we've ever had that had NO puppies in it that are on the labby side of the spectrum. But who can even predict that?! lol.

You are exactly right that a good breeder should be able to help you if you identify the issue of allergies, and the fleece or wool coats. I have never heard of an F1b with the fleece or wool, like Dexter's having the allergic effect on anyone. That might be just my lack of exposure, but it seems like a pretty good predictor with all the people we've had take home our pups.*

*I have known people with allergies to the enzymes in saliva have reactions when licked

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI dogonit!!! nice to meet you

NOW i have a labradoodle and goldendoodle. both are f1's
we have severe allergies and asthma in our house. Since last Oct 2006 we are doing fine. I must say goldendoodles shed less than a f1 labradoodle. Either way though i sweep for a few minutes daily.

good luck!!!

oh both my doodles love to swim in a 16ft deep creek,,,we finally got them in the paddebaot and pool this past weekend. and in a few weeks hope to take them on our boat. Doodles ususally LOVE water

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
depending on the extent of your allergies you could conceivably be succesful with an F1 shaggy lab like puppy. It seems to be a dander issue more than a shed issue for SOME people. I have placed shaggy F1B's in homes with allergies and every time we have been successful. Just be open with your breeder and perhaps talk to the references that they offer of people that have their dogs and have allergies. Make sure you find a reputable breeder with a lifetime rehoming guarantee just in case ya know :)

good luck!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi Dogonit,

I thought I would mention that you might also want to consider an Australian Labradoodle in addition to the F1 and F1B's that people have been talking about. I know many people have strong opinions on this forum both pro and con but it is an option you might want to look at.

I too wanted a non shedding hypoallergenic dog but I was worried an F1B might have too much poodle in it for my liking. I ended up finding a second generation Australian puppy that does not shed one bit. I did my research, found a breeder I liked, and managed to not pay an arm and a leg! As with any litter, even in the Australian, I think you will still see a variety of coat types, degrees of shed/non shed, and different looks.

I think most of the breeders on this forum would probably agree that it is easy to pick out the puppies that will love water as they have a tendancy to want to try and get in the water dish very early on!
:p

Heather

1 - 20 of 38 Posts