Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching dogs for almost a year now. Almost immediately I discovered labradoodles and fell in love with them. They are absolutely perfect for my daughter and I. I've gone and observed 10 hours of dog training class, spoken to vets, and read everything I can get my hands on regarding dog care. My daughter needs a dog - I never thought I'd say that but I believe it will be essential in her becoming more self confident and self relient.

So I'd like to get a doodle for her 7th birthday on August 7th, but like others I'm concerned about the price - can anyone explain to me why there is such a high cost for labradoodles? And why are goldendoodles $1000 less then the labradoodles? I have a friend in Illinois and she is upset with me for considering the $2500 price tag when I could buy one of the doodles she sees in the paper for $300-$900. I'm a single parent and I have to admit that spending only $1000 is enticing - it would mean instead of having to spend 3500 on the dog, the first vet visits, supplies, training...etc... I'd be spending under $2000. I have the money for this, but to be able to save that extra $1000 for future vet visits, food, toys etc. In general it would make life a little less stressful to not have to spend that extra.

I'll spend the extra if you all say so, and especially if you can help me find a breeder somewhere close by? I'd like a smaller doodle - I've seen a few breeders that advertise "medium" doodles - 35-50lbs? But others say just miniature or standard?

I'm sure I'm going to have dozens more questions but I'll come back for those :)

Thank you!

Kristin & Annie

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey there. Deciding on a labradoodle is very exciting. We are just two weeks into puppy ownership, after researching for a long time, like you. We actually ended up adopting our new friend from a rescue. We had to pay an adoption fee of $500. She is 5 months old and is a dream.

To be very frank, I think paying $2500 for a puppy is outrageous. Here in the Ohio area, I could pick up an F1 doodle for anywhere from $700 to $1000, and an F1b or multigen for around $1500.

I did a very quick search for breeders in the northeast and saw one right off the bat that seems reasonable in NH. www.eoh-books.com. At any rate - keep looking. I'll let the more experienced doodle owners and breeders on this forum answer this question with much more authority than I have, but I think $2500 is insane for a pet quality doodle.

Good luck. If my experience is typical, you will not regret it. Buffy as only been here for just over a week, but she is totally a part of the family already. You should see her when the kids get home from school. It is absolutely precious.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick reply! I do agree about the $2500 price tag on these pups - so I'm continuing my search!

Sadly I had such a bad experience with rescue groups I'm not likely to ever go that direction again. The first time I adopted a dog as a gift to my brother. The dog was ill for almost 6 months starting 2 days after we brought him home and I couldn't get a hold of the rescue group to even let them know. Then he ran off (followed his nose - he's a beagle) and the only reason he was found was because of his rabies tag - I was promised that he'd be microchipped and of course he wasn't.

The second I fell in love with this adorable black and tan coonhound on petfinder - so I adopted her and brought her home after signing all kinds of contracts, and getting assurances that she had just been vetted and all I needed to do was take her to get spayed. I immediately noticed something wrong but she had a vet visit the next day at tufts in Worcester MA. I took her in, and got the call within an hour of dropping her off (I wasn't even home yet) that she was so severely ill with heartworm that she likely wouldn't last more than a few days... and on top of that she was about to drop a litter of what turned out to be 7 unhealthy puppies.

Thousands of dollars later I was without a dog. I paid for Lucy's care, plus the care of the new puppies, and allowed the vet to adopt out the puppies once they were well enough to leave the clinic. It was a nightmare. Then when trying to inform the rescue (before I knew just how bad it was) they had the nerve to tell me I signed a contract that I would keep the dog no matter what health problems arose, and that I was lucky if they didn't sue me for breach of contract. They didn't seem to care that they gave me a dog on her deathbed :(

So this time I'm definitely going the breeder route - I'm just concerned about the price, and keeping some $$ in the bank for emergencies!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi there and welcome. What an exciting time for you and your little girl!!!
Betty is right in that these questions will be better answered by the breeders in this forum. With that said I am very glad to see you do the research first. Very important and I too did this for close to one year
as well. I certainly understand your frustration with the rescues and do not see why you will not be able to get the puppy that you want within your price range give or take a little. Choosing the right breeder is key!!!. Making sure that their dogs are very well tested for a number of things,(the breeders here will give you a list to ask about) Are alergies or shedding issues to you? If not then it opens up your search a little more and you can certainly look at the F1's I am Canadian, Our prices range from $600.00 to $1200.00 for F1's Colour choice makes the difference
in this price range. The F1b's come in around $1250-$1850 The Multigens go for $2500-3500. These are just the general averages here. It really depends what generation you want.
Please remember that what ever breeder you decide on make sure that the Temperment of the puppy is a very important consideration on your part. Good luck and keep your questions coming as that is how most of us learn all about Doodles :wink: :wink: :wink:
l

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on looking first for temperment and second for looks - sex doesn't matter to me at all. Though color doesnt matter much either - my carpets are white and my SUV interior is dark grey - so I expect to see fur everywhere anyway! Allergies aren't a huge problem - my father is allergic but its become much more mild as he has gotten older.

Any tips for picking out a pup with a good temperment - I've read a few suggestions online, but would like to hear directly from doodle families.

Thanks for the replies so far!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just got through doing exactly what you are going through. Trying to pick the right breeder and then the right pup from the litter is no easy process. My kids are 3 and 6 so I was very concerned with getting the right puppy.

I read a lot of books - The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete had some of the best information I found on how to pick a puppy from a litter based on personality.

From my perspective paying higher $$ from a good breeder versus buying out of the classifieds was worth it from the effort the breeder put into the pup. The parents were extensively tested and both on site and in the house so we could meet them. Usually when you pay more you get a better health guarantee. We were able to observe the litter for several weeks before having to pick our pup. We then got to visit weekly until he could come home. He had his toenails clipped weekly, was handled and socialized and had even slept in his own crate for a week before he came home making the transition that much easier. He also came home microchipped, with his first set of shots, and had been wormed regularly. All of these things cost the breeder which result in higher prices but are things you would have to pay for if they don't!

A lot of the dogs in the classifieds are puppy mills or someone who just decide to breed a dog to make some extra $$ without thinking about the genetics that go into and long term health problems like hip dysplasia that can cost you much more in vet bills in the long run.

Good luck - Picking a puppy is no easy tasks

Heather

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hello and welcome to the world of doodles :) I definitely feel your pain. My husband and I could not spend $2000+ for a dog. However we wanted a healthy dog with a good temperment. We got a F1B and paid $1000. I still consider this to be high, but we did get 1) a young puppy 2) we got to choose the gender/color and 3) we have a health guarantee and testing results from the parents...if we went to a rescue site it would have been at least $400. We got Dex from Delaware Doodles (I'll send you the website if you'd like it) and are very happy with him...in fact, they have a new litter right now :wink:

·
Registered
273 Posts
As far as how to pick a puppy from a litter - my grandfather and father-in-law who were farmers both gave the same advice....

Pick the puppy with the most black on the roof of it's mouth. This is an old wives tale and has no scientific merit that I know of but it is suposedly an indication of intelligence and trainability and is how farmers have picked working dogs for years.

As it turns out, the puppy we ended up with did have more black on the roof of his mouth than his littermates.

(I suspect that Doodles all across the country are now having their mouths pried open by curious owners! :lol: )

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oops -
I hope no one got the idea that I think you shouldn't buy a puppy from a breeder. I'm very fortunate that we found Buffy and that she found us. I had two breeders lined up at the time that we got the call from the rescue. Both breeders health tested the parents, provided two year guarantees, were apparently very responsible breeders who really cared about the puppies. The puppies were microchipped, wormed, given first shots, raised in the house, etc. etc. etc. One breeder asked $700 and the other $800. I understand that once you get into the multigen it gets more expensive, but I still think that $2500 for a pet quality animal is, at least for me, bordering on the ridiculous. Of course, that's just my personal opinion. We have kids too, and you have to weigh where you spend your money carefully. I think you can find a responsible breeder who really does care and takes the time and effort to breed great puppies and you don't have to spend an obscene amount of money for it.
Keep looking. That perfect puppy is out there and you will find it! Doodles are wonderful, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello Kristin and Annie, welcome.
I understand your shock at the prices of these puppies and you should know, as mentioned above, that the $2500 dogs are the Australian Labradoodles. You can find less expensive dogs from breeders. You can get rehome dogs, F1, F2, F1B, multigen, etc. You need to do your homework and find out what the differences are and what best fits into your family.
Most importantly, you should find a good breeder. There are many, many posts on this forum regarding this issue. Please take some time to find them and select a breeder you can trust.
Also, a while back I was concerned about all of the people buying from puppy mills and back yard breeders, thinking that they were saving money and buying the same product. I responded with this thread, I hope you will find it helpful: http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1973

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jacque, I've read that thread - thank you. I know that my questions have probably been answered elsewhere on this site but I've attempted to digest so much information over the past few days now that I'm at the point of selecting a breeder that I was just trying to simplify it by asking the questions in one spot. Hope you don't mind that I wasted a thread... I was actually just curious about the price difference. I am specifically trying to avoid the backyard breeders and puppy mills, but I'd still like to not spend a fortune - surely you can understand? As for rehomed dogs, please read my nightmare I posted above. I have a hard time trusting any rescue agency these days!

Anyway, as stated above I've done a bunch of research and I'm fairly sure as to what I want - I asked about small, medium and larger dogs - I'm looking for one 35-50lbs f1 or f2. I don't want it to look too much like a standard poodle as my brother's dog Tucker has an unnatural fear of poodles (we've had him since he was 10 weeks and he has no other fears)

Thanks to everyone who has posted! I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thank you for clarifying my statements...I know that the written word can't reflect the same thing that a spoken word can and I hope I did not offend...I seriously do understand, and respect, your decisions and your opinions.
I am afraid that I am guilty of not reading as completely as I should before I respond, I apologize.
Once you find the breeder that suits your wishes, I suggest that you discuss possible discounting the price and/or the possibility of a guardianship program.
There are many times when I discount puppies when I believe it is in the best interest of all concerned...so it never hurts to ask if there are alternatives.
I think that my knee-jerk reaction comes from reading some of the stories on the forums where people innocently select a pet (their family members and beloved companions) only to find out that these creatures have to deal with horrible pain and illnesses...so I try my best to inform...in so doing, I suppose that I tend to get a bit preachy...and when I do, I regret the fact that my intentions led me so off the mark. I admit to that regret here, in your post. You do not, will not ever waste a thread! Please continue to share your thoughts and your search with us and that you will let us celebrate with you when you find your new puppy.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Jacque - would a breeder actually discount a dog? I didn't think anyone would, and I'd kind of feel silly asking. I'm a photographer and would look at someone like they had two heads if they asked me to discount my hard work...

Anyway, I'm thrilled to be finally doing this for my little family. There are days when Annie & I get VERY bored with each other! We're finally settled into our first house and we have a great big backyard that is begging for something to dig it all up...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi debbildog...nice to meet you !!
and yes picking a puppy based on temperament is most important.
When you find a great temperament you end up with a great new family member!!! that not only fits in well but is well loved by all.

here labradoodles go for $550-$1200 and goldendoodles $750 -$1500
minidoodles go for $850 to $1800.

and yes when a puppy is older a breeder has been known to discount them at times. in my opionion $1800 to $2500 is out of my price range and too high for a family pet.

I think you'lll find a responsible breeder in your price range. There's nothing wrong with taking your time as thisis a 15yr committment for you and your family.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Debbildog, welcome to the forum :) As you can see, you will get lots of help and good advise here. You should have no problem finding an F1 or F1b with health tested parents (a must) for anywhere from 750.00 to 1500. depending on the generation. Please let us know when you decide on a breeder and a pup and please don't limit your possibilities with a puppy close to you. A lot of good breeders ship their puppies and it is not that much more expensive to ship and is worth it if you find the right breeder. Good luck :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey , I am in Princeton/Holden near Wachusett Mountian, your not far from me. :D
I got my pup a few weeks ago "Pongo". We had been searching for months I found a wonderful breeder in Cranston ,RI and they did all the right things they were charging $900 for an F1B and let me tell you they have beautiful puppies :)

My story goes like this:
My Mom is a dog groomer and although I found out this story recently, it is still kinda cool.

My mom knew we were waiting for a puppy from this breeder; it would not be until March. Earlier, my mom and I went on the hunt and we found an amazing breeder that had all the blood tests, OFA hip Certified Mom and Dad , Microchipped, Warrentys and all in CT. (my mom lives in CT.)

I to visit the puppies, they 8 weeks old, and were $1500. I told her we really did not want to spend that much. I told her, if she ends up with a few left over and drops the price to let me know. I dropped my moms businness card off (because she was closer)and left.

2 weeks later my mom said to me, "this woman came into my shop and told me, she had a few puppies left over, what luck, so I bought 1 for you and presented him (Pongo) to my daughter ". We were all thirilled.

I had the uncomfortable job of sending an e-mail to the breeders that I really wanted a dog from, to let them know. I know they expected me to get a puppy from them. It's just the way things turned out.

Come to find out yes, the woman did go to my moms shop BUT, it was the breeder I has talked to weeks earlier with the $1500 puppies, she was in the area; she had 3 puppies left; she had another litter coming; she wanted to find homes for thses puppies before the "new" litter came.
She asked if my mom if I would be still interested, and told her she would give him to me for $400 he was 10 weeks old.
My mom went to Lebennon, CT ,got all the pappers, and they scanned him right there to show the microchip and viola we got Pongo, my 8 year old daughter is thrilled!

From the time we started looking it took several months, moviestar (a breeder on this forum) was an intergral part of helping me ask all the right questions (Thanks again moviestar!!) and told me not to jump into anything, make sure it's a healthy puppy. Moviestar, helped me look at warrentys very differently and we now have a healthy boy , he is much more then I imagined.

He is somewhat "calm" friends and the vet have said. His mom is a silver Standard Poodle and the breeder said her Silver standerd was the calmest and had the most wonderful temperment of all her dogs. (she had 4 standard Poodles and 3 Retrivers with 30 years of breeding under her belt,) he must have his moms temperment because he is gentle and playful and I just can't help gushing about him!!! We start puppy kindergarden Monday, and we will be trying to go all the way, to get him certified as a therapy dog, God willing!

**** luck; the breeders on this forum are wonderful and informative , ask all the questions you can think of you won't be able to stump them ...lol :wink:

~Jenny

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dixiedi said:
A lot of good breeders ship their puppies and it is not that much more expensive to ship and is worth it if you find the right breeder. Good luck :)
My concern with this would be not being able to meet the family, the puppy's home for its first weeks of life, and choosing the puppy itself. The only thing I'm concerned about is the dogs temperment - not color or sex - So I'd really like to make the descision with the breeder. I will not hesitate to do it if I have no other option though. I'd fly out and pick up the pup myself if I need to, as long as I can be there and back in a day - I have nobody to leave my daughter with overnight.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Any tips on finding someone that might have a 'medium' size dog? I really don't want to go over 60lbs, 40-50lbs would be my preference.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jenny, thanks for your story :) My Aunt lives in Holden and I'm in the Worcester area fairly frequently!

Any pictures of Pongo? I'd love to see him!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
debbildog ...i sent you 2 pms let me know if you got them ok?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, I replied!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts