Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!
Gunner is 5 months old. He has been acting very strange since yesterday morning. He is eating his food very slowly. Infact, he left some kibble in the bowl this morning. When I feed him, he doesn't run to his bowl and sit either. He would rather I pet him. He seems to play for a while with his stuffed toys and than lay down and chew on something. He is drinking water and going potty normally. He just seems a little sad. I just increased his food to 4 cups and he is teething still. (Stepped on a tooth the other day). Maybe he doesn't want an extra cup of food a day, or his teeth hurt, or it is rainy and he is depressed? Should I just take him to the vet or what? It is stressing me out! He just doesn't seem his happy go lucky/obnoxious self, LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bandit was the same way for a while... I think he became not interested in the food. Although with a lil flavoing to it, he will eat, but he still wants us nearby when he does. Very odd. Used to just gobble it all down, and now he takes his time and wants to have us in there while he eats... almost like a separation anxiety.

I would think that they will grow out of it. he is much better today than he was a month ago when he was 5 mos.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sadie is also 5 months and I can't imagine her ever being finicky about food! She always seems to be on the prowl for some grub, passing by her bowl and giving it a rattle many times a day. When it is feeding time, she vacuums it down so fast I worry she'll make herself sick. She gets 1 cup, 3x per day. The vet suggested I don't increase. She is getting enough, just displaying the lab side of the family in terms of appetite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nigel did this at 5-6 months.
Maybe its the brand of food? He seemed to stop liking his food.
We were feeding him Iams and once I learned what a
bad food it was for him: by-products, corn which can cause upsets
with digestion, we switched to Nutro Ultra Large Breed Puppy. He can not get enough of this food. Just LOVES it. 3 kinds of meat are the first three ingredients. High quality stuff.
It's also the only thing that stopped him from not eating unless we
were watching him or with him. Interesting to know that other doodles were doing this, too! A funny doodle trait, perhaps?
Well, after the food switch, he looks forward to every meal and doesn't get anxious if we aren't there to watch his every bite anymore.
Thank goodness!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Thanks for your responses. Gunner is teething. There are teeth and blood all over my carpet, his toys, and his bedding. He is still eating slow. I spoke with the vet and this seems to be normal when considering his other symptoms. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good thing. I was going to mention that Chester was an attention deficit eater. He'd nibble then walk away from his bowl, do something else, go back to his bowl etc. He's our only dog so we can leave his food down for him. Sometimes he just takes a mouthful of kibble, makes a trail and then follows it and eats it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts