Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, this is completely off topic, but I don't really know where else to ask...

The BF and I are attempting to locate furniture for our apartment next semester. After getting into a fight with my mother this morning- no matter how far away you move from your mother, you can still end up in fights- about how expensive our tastes are, I'm trying to find places out here that would fit into our budget. As I'm from Rhode Island, I've got all these places in my head that I could go and look at, but obviously NONE of them are out here. So I was wondering if any of you knew of discount furniture places that we could try to look at? Or even of any big stores that are having good furniture deals?

Again, I'm sorry for this being so far off topic, but as many of you are from California, I'd figured I would at least try!

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kristen, sorry about the spat with your Mom.
What part of California? I'm sure that you mentioned it, but I have forgotten.
There are fairly large cities with competing stores so you can usually get some bargains, especially during sale times...but in smaller areas, your selections are limited so it tends to be more expensive.
I didn't find prices in CA that much higher, except for things like gasoline and such...my utilities were cheaper than in Utah and the deposits were less too. Also, the food was about the same, and the great thing about CA is that you get really wonderful produce year round!
But, back to furniture...find out what city you will be in, then check either on line or go to a local library and find a phone book for that area and see what stores are listed....that might help.
When I moved out here, I was so amazed...I met the neighbor when I went to look at my condo and when I moved in, I had very little furniture. He kept giving me things...chest of drawers, pots/pans/chairs, etc...very nice.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi, Kristen,

As Jac said, we don't know in what part of California you will be living. To put things in perspective, the drive from our southern border town of San Ysidro to Yreka, one of our northernmost cities, is, according to mapquest.com, over 774 miles! It's a big state, with a Wide variety of lifestyles and living expenses. (I'm in agreement with Jac on our fuel costs being an eye opener.)

Can you tell us where you'll be? Maybe someone with local knowledge can share some ideas. We're happy to help.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I'm going to school at SSU. I'm 10-20 mins outside of Santa Rosa. But my boyfriend's dad lives in East Bay, past Concord.

HAHA I forget how big this state really is.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You've picked a lovely part of the state to call home!

In terms of ideas, I'm all the way nearly to the south end of the state, with Jac being nearly as far the other direction.

Why don't you hit the garage sales if you have time, or browse the classified ads? You'd be surprised what you might find. Might furnish the kitchen while you're at it, too, right down to the coffee maker. You may have to kiss a few toads, but there's a princely piece of furniture out there somewhere with your name on it. If looking for something a bit more upscale, try looking for an estate sale.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Another idea is to search on Craigs List - Google Craigslist California and you might come up with some great items!

Heather

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Okay, you are in my area! Well...not my area NOW, but a year ago.
Are you picky about brands and stuff? Do you want brand new or used? Any particular style or just anything good that is clean and serves the purpose?
When you get in the area, look at some of the places in Santa Rosa...there is an area, the north part of Santa Rosa, that has a lot of furniture stores and they all compete for business. I found a really nice love seat for $150.
Anyway, in that store, alone, they had good prices and just about every type of furniture you could imagine...can't recall the store name, but if you go north on 101, take the Bicentennial exit, go west to the light. (You can not go straight.) Turn right and go to the next light (less than a block) and turn left. Go down the road a few blocks to, I believe, Piner and turn right (there is a pub on the right side by the light and it is called the Nutty Irishman)...stay on that road and you will see all kinds of furniture stores and bedding stores, and you will have to make some turns up and down the roads, but you will see that there are a bunch of stores.
If you want used, there are Salvation Army stores and such...and then there is always K-Mart, Wal-Mart and stores like that ...and Pennys and Mervyns, Sears, etc.
I am sure that you can find lots of stores in Petaluma and Rhonert Park too, but I don't know my way around there much.
You will love living in this area!
When will you be moving?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm here now. This is my second year at SSU, but I must admit I haven't done much exploring. I did find a strip yesterday that had a ton of stores and found some bedroom furniture in our price range, and style. But I'm a "I want it now" kind of person, or well, get things done now type of person, but I've been overruled by my mom and bf that we need to wait until next semester starts to get more furniture for the apartment.

So, I will keep my eyes on the ads, and on craigslist!!!

And yes, its an absolutely beautiful area!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, well, then you probably know the area better than I do! I stayed in Santa Rosa for most of the time. (Got lost a lot.) I moved here in September, 2000.
I love the Wednesday Night Markets in the summer...we lived in the JC area and walked downtown in the evenings, we'd have dinner and stroll back home...it was safe, warm, beautiful...loved it!
Now, we live up north...where everyone grows marijuana or cooks meth! I don't dare leave my home...at least not walking! LOL It is beautiful up here, and our home is lovely...we are in the redwoods, have a wonderful surrounding deck...but we pretty much stay at home. It isn't as "safe" as it was in Santa Rosa. Lots of transients too...hope we can find somewhere else.
We've been looking along the coast...that would be nice. But most of CA is pretty...I think so anyway!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*cringe* See, I love CA, but I miss Rhode Island. I need to do some more searching, to see if there's anywhere I'd actually see myself living. Otherwise, its back to the East Coast for me. ^.^

·
Registered
483 Posts
I stayed in Santa Rosa for most of the time. (Got lost a lot.)
I'm glad even the locals can get lost in Santa Rosa! I visited an old roommate and her husband a couple of years ago, and recall taking a wrong turn or two looking for their house. Lovely city!

I'm with you on the Coastal property, too. I wanted to be on the central coast, but my fellow boomers beat me to it and ran the prices up a bit. Maybe from Santa Ynez to San Luis Obispo... it's all gorgeous!

And yes, Kristen, New England has something really special about it, too. I used to say that I'd live in New Hampshire if it didn't snow there. I wish you all the best in finding that really special place.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, me too. But I haven't been more south than Santa Cruz. That's about to change On Sunday, when we're driving down to San Diego. I'm so excited!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I love the East too...haven't been to New England yet, but want to some day...did get to the Finger Lakes of New York and fell madly in love with the place...like Deb, however, snow is a downer for me!
I lived in Utah all of my life...I have had enough snow!
I just love the diversity and cultural celebrations here...
Deb, my story is one of being lost forever here! LOL I know my way around better than Dave does now, because I was always lost!
I started out getting lost in San Francisco when I was supposed to be going north! (Bottom line is that I was told by a person in Nevada City to follow the signs to SF until I saw 101 north...well, there was no sign for 101 north! Then when I got into SF...the road leading out, 101 north, was the one that was collapsed in the earthquake and not rebuilt! I kept going in circles!!!)
So, I am not crazy about San Francisco, but I love the places I feel comfortable in! The small places...love them!

·
Registered
483 Posts
... lost in San Francisco when I was supposed to be going north! (Bottom line is that I was told by a person in Nevada City to follow the signs to SF until I saw 101 north...well, there was no sign for 101 north! Then when I got into SF...the road leading out, 101 north, was the one that was collapsed in the earthquake and not rebuilt!
Haven't they rebuilt that thing Yet??? I remember that section. I'd better do some figuring. I'm delivering a puppy to the city on Saturday!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You can get around okay, just don't count on 101 north! LOL
(Nope, not rebuilt! You have to go through the city to get to 101 north.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts