Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're considering getting a labradoodle to add to our family and my husband (and now I) have been researching like crazy. I've read a lot of posts on here and found them helpful.

My question: is it common (or even possible) for a chocolate poodle and a yellow lab to produce black pups?

We have found some cute pups; they have been reduced in price and are not yet 8 weeks old. We asked why and were told because the breeder does this after 4 weeks of age if the pups are not adopted. It seemed early to do such a mark down so early based on other things we've read.

We are not adverse to a black doodle, but I keep thinking that maybe there's something I'm not seeing in order to ask the right question. Maybe it's just the old addage "if it looks too good to be true, it is" running through my head.

TIA!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

I am not a breeder or expert on genetics. Have either of the parents had any testing? Not only hips, eyes, elbows, etc. but also DNA testing to see what color genes they carry? Have you asked to see the actual test results?

We bought a shiny jet black Labradoodle with not a single white hair on him anywhere and he started turning silver at around 12 weeks. We knew this was a possibility. The breeder thought he was going to stay black. One of his littermates had a few white hairs between the pads of her feet and the breeder was pretty sure that dog was going to silver. At least two of his other siblings look like they are going to stay black.

Good luck!

Heather & Dante

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Heather - I would LOVE a silver doodle! I might look for a black pup next year. I know that there is no way to tell, but I'd be just as happy with a lovable black pup as I would with a loveable silver!

I dont understand why black doodles aren't as favored as the lighter ones. I think they're all stunning pups!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hi, and welcome to all of you...... I have LOVED looking at and learning about genetics ever since I used to be a "backyard" breeder of our family pet-Lab.

First of all, YES, a brown dog and yellow dog WILL have black puppies, if the yellow dog doesn't carry the brown gene, recessively. Black is sort of a "default" color, if both dogs don't match up, with their color genes. There's lots of ways to explain it, but that's a starting point. Brown is always recessive to black, and yellow has to match up to itself in both parents, in order to "trump" black.

have I lost you yet? :wink:

SILVER - the "dilute" gene - is a separate thing, genetically. The gene that turns blacks to "blue" (think charcoal, or gunmetal blue) or all the way to silver, is the same gene that turns brown to cafe, or dilutes reds and caramels to creams and lighter versions of the original color. It's just most noticable and common on the darker colors like black and brown. And the more I learn and follow our puppies, the more I think I am able to predict how far into silver our pups will go...but I wouldn't promise anything at this point -- yet.

I have placed puppies from our breeding mom-dogs that went from black to blue, and black to platinum-silver and BOTH are beautiful!! I think it's really fun to watch the process, when a puppy-family will keep in touch. And there are many pictures on my website, by the way, if you want to see some examples. I also have a couple of black doodles out there that have stayed black...and that's a really dramatic beauty to see as well. Shoot, not too long ago I posted a pic of one of our black doodles and it was an encouragement to another breeder to KEEP their black male puppy! :wink:

Oh, and while I'm typing how about if I mention that our Fancy ONLY has blacks, blues and silvers....and she's hopefully gonna have puppies in mid-April..... :D :D :D

(In addition we're hoping she has parti's and phantoms...but that's a whole other conversation about genetics)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Maureen,

How old is Binion in the photo on your website? Dante at 15 weeks could pass for Binion's twin. Dante, like Binion has silvering on his back hocks , face, and belly. When I had him out in the direct sunlight yesterday I could start to see it on his back. Do you have any photo examples of what you think Binion's color will be when he fully matures? Dante is an F2 as well and his mom was black and his dad was parchement.. I can't wait to see what he is going to end up looking like!

Heather

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses!

We are opting not to go w/ that pup, but only because of timing. I'm very open to just about any color (I do have reservations about white/cream due to dirt lol).

So our search continues for a pup that will fit a little better into our lives time-wise (we have a VERY BUSY April ahead of us, but things calm down after that). We have a few leads to follow-up on for litters available to go home in early to mid May.

Thanks again for the genetics lesson (wasn't confusing at all to me)!

I'm sure I'll be back w/ more questions/concerns as we continue to search for the right labradoodle for us.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
me too

I have chocolate, Reds or Carmels available ready june/july
due to large litter and those on my list waiting until later in the year i have a couple :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts