Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My doodle is leashed but doesn't need to be

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know....that subject sounded strange.......but here's what I want to ask.
My little Springer was such a great boy, but we could never let him off a leash!
I use to train Bouviers so I was pretty good about training him...my Springer........but he always had to be leashed!

Do labradoodles generally NOT RUN and although can be leashed..............don't have to be?

I'm polling this because I want to know what you do and am open to any advice I can get for new little boy to be well trained and only leashed when necessary. In the city I live in, dogs MUST be leashed at all times.....but will I be able to take him to a dog park and let him run?? Hmmmm....

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My doodle, 13 months, has selective hearing and doesn't always come when called. :? I'm afraid she would take off and get hurt. She's only unleashed when outside in our fenced back yard.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
We have a fenced back yard so Annabelle has free roam via doggie door from kitchen to screen porch another doggie door to deck to backyard

If I walk out to put something in the trash, she can come with me unleased and will listen but I'd never walk her without one

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I know my two would come back, but I wouldn't want to risk it. People speed down my street, and the parks we go to have a problem with strays and/or people that don't control their dogs. I would be worried about the risk factors myself...they mean too much to me! :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is off leash at the beach and at the school/park, and the trail
where i take him daily.
These are enclosed areas for the most part and he listens to
me, but he is on leash when we walk to these places because
I am worried about the idiots who drive to fast on my street
and do not want to take the chance that he might stray.
I am a firm believer in never saying that my dog would not
do that as he very well might and i do not want to chance his life
on it. Off leash took a lot of traiing for him to come when I called
If he falters in returning when i call him promptly then he gets leashed real quick.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max and Peanut are off leash in my backyard and they don't go down to the creek unless we take them

Beau is almost 5mos old and on leash at all times

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota is generally off leash except when going to and from specific areas around traffic. At our lake house--very rural--he is never on a leash. He usually listens to me when I call him to come. :? He always listens to me when I tell him to stay. Guess it's the tone of voice.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Chouette is off-leash most of the time at home. We have a large place and because the house is down a very long driveway, the only traffic is on the river :wink: She comes much better when called now that I picked up the trick - I think it was Annmarie's - of giving her a treat when she bounces through the door if she responds immediately. But when we're out in town, or picking up my granddaughter at school (which involves getting out of the car and waiting in the schoolyard) or anywhere else where there are cars or a lot of people, I put her on the leash. If I think she's going to be really distracted, as at the schoolyard where the kids love her and come over to pet her, I also use a prong collar. Of course, she's only 7 months, too.

Sounds like there's a wide variety of situations and puppy personalities on the forum! One thing I am grateful for is that so far Chou shows no tendency to wander. Our neighbors have a beautiful, sweet chocolate lab who's over here all the time, and she told me that labs wander; their last one was the same and died after being hit by a car on the highway, which is half a mile from their house down the rural lane we both live on. So I worried that Chou might wander too, but she stays close to us. Of course, we used a leash for her walks to get the paper, and in fact whenever she was outside, for the first few months, and I think that went a long way toward getting her in the habit of staying near.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
At almost 5 months, Tyke is still way too wired to go without a leash. We have a huge fenced in yard for her to explore off-leash, but that's it. Anywhere else, and she has her leash on. In fact, when she knows we're going somewhere, she runs to get her leash!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
He is off leash when we are at the park playing chuckit. He was off leash at our dog park last Summer. I will try to let him off leash when we go snowshoeing this winter. But in the city, no way. I don't think Tanner would run off but you never know when the doodle 500 attack may happen and I would be afraid he would dash off into traffic.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I doubt Marley would go too far without us, and we probably could get away without a leash, but I see no reason to risk anything. Spotting an animal far away, risk running into traffic, etc,etc. I am too old to be chasing a 7 month old puppy. We do unleash him when we play fetch in the field near our house, and he has never strayed too far. Better45 safe than sorry are true words in this case.

Last week curiousity got the best of him, and he dashed off the porch in search of the woman who was reading the gas meters. As I came around the corner he was in the back yard of the house next door. Not ever really having to chase him before from that distance, I just shouted "Marley, Come". Much to my surprise he instantly ran right to me. I was shocked, as the woman commended myself and Marley, for being so well behaved. I bet if I did that 50 times, 48 of them he would not pay too close attention, but "under the lights", he performed admirably.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We only let them off leash 1) in our fenced back yard 2) in the fenced dog park. My friend who has watched Dex doesn't have a fence and he was fine running around there (although I was worried)...he was also fine at Annmarie's. The only other time he was offleash in a non fenced area was at the beach in NC...we were so far from a street that I wasn't so concerned. I don't think we would have a problem with either off leash, but I worry if they see a squirrel/rabbit that their instincts would kick in and go to chase it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
We go off leash all the time :) Conservation areas, the beach, etc... Its fabulous exercise and I *love* to have tired doodles :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon is off leash when we are out on a walk on our property, at our kids' homes or occasionally, in a park. It consideration of the leash laws, she is on leash in public - stores, on the street, etc.

She will stay in the yard at our kids' even though there are other dogs around and our kids have no fences. See? there is hope for all of you!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky is off-leash in my fenced backyard, in the fenced dog park, and in my daughter's fenced yard. My city has a leash law, so I can't allow him to run loose in public even if I'd like him to.

In reality, I'm chicken to let him off the leash in public! I live in a quiet neighborhood, but some people drive much faster than the posted speed limit (Where do they think they're going so fast? Our streets are dead ends!). We also have a number of feral cats (fed by neighbors) Nicky'd love to chase!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bubba runs both on and off leash when on patrol at the golf course. He runs next to the cart while on leash. Off leash he will go a little farther but follows. Lately he has been getting in trouble for stealing my golf ball and wanting to play keep away so he is on the leash more. Off the golf course....he is onleash unless we are hiking in the woods where there is no traffic danger. At home...Bubba roams our fenced property at will. He is a little over 1 year old.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Like many others, Charlie is leashed while walking the public streets where there is traffic nearby and many distractions for his own safety. We usually end our walks at a public park and he is allowed to play there off-leash. He plays with other dogs that show up and chases sticks, etc.

From the day he came home with us, I walked him around the yard off-leash. He always was happy to walk right by my side. Even with his leash, he isn't a puller.

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Lately he has been getting in trouble for stealing my golf ball and wanting to play keep away so he is on the leash more.
hehe...these types of doodle stories crack me up! Dexter got another sock this morning...we try so hard to keep them out of his reach. Yesterday he started his rock stealing game at potty time...he'll grab a rock and refuse to come back in (wanting me to chase him to get it back)...so he's back on the leash when I want him to just go and not play.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tegan is off leash most of the time. We live on a green area with walking paths and she comes really well when called. We did take her to beginner, intermediate and advanced training where it was all treat based and they worked on the "Come" a lot. It took me longer to learn to relax and let her off leash with trust than it did my husband, but we are very proud of her. She comes now whenever we call "Come", "By Me", "Stay Close" "See Me" or "Leash On" with a big smile on her face and sits at our feet waiting for her treat.

I don't trust her off leash where there is traffic as we also have lots of bunnies to chase and even though she has come back during mid chase in the safe areas, I wouldn't risk her life near a road. My husband trusts a little too much, however, but I wish he wouldn't.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Any time my dogs are not confined by a fence (my yard or of-leash dog park) they are on leash.
This is for their protection more than anything else. Doodles are so friendly that they may approach people or dogs that are not so friendly and the consequences could be very bad.
I like having the control, just in case it is needed.
I also think that it is important to do because many people and often children are very much afraid of dogs, especially big dogs and a doodle off leash might be very frightening to them.
I think we need to be considerate of people who might have a fear of dogs...as well as to protect them from confrontations with dogs looking to fight.
Add to that, crazy, careless drivers and it just makes good sense to protect your pet by walking on leash in public.
Besides, in most states, it is the law. :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts