Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got an 8 week old puppy. Last night was his first night and he slept in his puppy carrier just fine. During the day, if he's getting too under foot, what are the thoughts on putting him in his carrier? I don't want it to be seen as a punishment. I also have a full size carrier I could put him in off and on during the day. Or would an x-pen be better? Thoughts? Advise?
Diane

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do you have a section of your home your could confine him to? We used to use baby gates with Chester to keep him in the family room and kitched area. Then he could sort of roam but not have free run of the place. We used his crate just for him to sleep in or when we left the house without him. After awhile we'd put our coats on and he'd go to his crate, we'd say goodnight and he'd go to his crate. Now he just runs the place.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi. Congratulations on your new puppy!
It all depends on the type of carrier you are talking about. If it is the plastic type, I would change to a wire crate.
My dogs had the plastic crate inside the huge wire crate while they were small. They slept in the plastic one and played/ate/pottied in different areas of the large wire crate. The wire crate give them more air and lets them see out, making it less confining to them. They love to be engaged, so being able to look around is a good thing...and if you can put it by a glass door so that they can watch the outside, that is good too. They love to see what the family is up to, and they watch tv!
Most trainers will teach the puppy to "kennel up" when they are crated...and if you train them correctly, they will love the safety of thier crate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts