Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, is it just ME or can any of you believe that there will be a time that your puppy will not chew or just nip WHATEVER is in sight? I mean can you fathom being able to leave your shoes out? I can't imagine a time where I am not watching out for my couch, curtains, bamboo blinds, comforter, my robe, all my kid's belongings that they decide they are going to leave around, my wooden table and chairs, etc etc etc. I know I don't have to go on with the list. I know that they eventually grow out of this (hopefully!) but today it feels like that day will NEVER come!

Oh yeah, yesterday I gathered up all of Coal's bedding and washable toys, washed them all and put his doggie bed back in his exercise pen. Well, within I would say 5 minutes, he had peed on the bed! I couldn't believe it as he has been doing so great lately with the training. I KNOW they don't do these things for spite but man it felt like it! He's lucky he is so cute :wink: . We all love him to pieces despite the tough stuff but sometimes you just have to vent a little!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Stacy, I feel your pain. There are days I feel like I can't get anything done. If he is not chewing up something or biting my 2 yr. old than he is ringing the bell. Aren't they cute when they are aslleep?

Amanda

PS. I don't know where the spell check is on this computer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I really can't believe how rowdy these little guys can be, but in the end we will have the perfect family dog. It has been so much fun to watch the bonding process between Gunner and my boys. My oldest son loves Gunner, and every morning when Tate leaves for school Gunner sits at the door and cries. He doesn't do that for anyone else. Tate asked me the other day if he could take Gunner to college...I thought to myself can you enroll now. Ha! Ha! It had just been one of those days with Gunner.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amanda,
My kids are crazy about the dog too which is good because Coal has nipped both of them so that they have cried (though Taylor my 11 year old daughter will cry long before Aidan my 2 year old son!!). They BOTH want to feed Coal and give him treats and play with him. It's going very well all in all. I don't want to sound like I am not enjoying having Coal around. I know that he's gonna grow up someday and I love the fact that the kids have him. I really think that Aidan and Coal are going to turn out to be the best of friends.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I do know what you mean. It is so nice to have other people who can relate. It is funny the younger children tolerate more from the pups. When Tullis finally does cry...his feelings are really hurt.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, I still don't believe he will ever just lay in the living room while we watch t.v.
I don't think I've gotten through a single movie, or hour long show since we've had him.
Thank-god for tivo! I can watch while he's in bed and fast forward commercials.
I'm kidding, I remember with my last pup it felt the same way..and now she's a lazy lump of dog!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota

Dakota is 9 weeks old and he's either an angel or a terror--not much in between! He seems calmer with my husband. He seems to associate me with play and I think he saves up his energy for my arrival from work! He has become impossible in the back yard--his game is keep away and he won't let us grab him to bring him in so we've started leash training which is going pretty good. We also got an x-pen which works out really well for those times when he needs a "time out." Jac directed us to a really good Website for training information: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/
We're working on "Close your mouth, Dakota!" Good luck to us all!
Diane

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that Tina! I know that since I have never had a dog of my own, hearing that Coal will turn into a lazy guy someday makes me smile! Puppies are very much like human babies, they are so much work that sometimes you want them to grow up but they are only small once and so you don't want to wish the time they are babies away! It IS very nice to have this forum and to talk to people who are going through the same things or have gone through them already! Tina, how old is Boone??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Boone is now 14 weeksish.
His b-day is Sept 29, 2005....just 3 days after my birthday!
He's 30 lbs already.
Yeah they really do get lazy, and are usually only awake for walk time, food time, and an hour or two of playtime.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, you have 3 - 4 weeks on us. Coal was 11 weeks on Sunday. His birthday is 10/23 (one day before my hubby's :) ) Wow, Boone is big! Coal was at the vet on Monday and he weighed 13.2 lbs. He has gained 2 lbs a week since I got him so I suppose he will be 20ish lbs at Boone's age.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahaha you guys are so funny! (Glad you like the site, Diane!)
Hmmmm, just imagine what we have going at our house...no kennel, mind you, we have 2 Labradoodles (18 months old each) one standard Poodle (one year old), one Goldendoodle (3 months old) and 7 (seven!) 6-week old puppies!
Nope...it is HEAVEN!!! I LOVE it!
Oh, yes, there is a LOT of cleaning up (and honestly, I would not want surprise visits, not even from the UPS delivery person!) but there isn't a minute in the day that I can't get puppy hugs and dog kisses! Life is gooood!!
We have nipping, whining, pooping, peeing, constant feeding and watering, (of course encouraging even more peeing and pooping) and 7 babies trying to see which one can bite my ankle first when I enter the x-pen zone. Then they have a contest to see which one can take the potty pad out of the frame fastest and which one can make the biggest, raggiest ball out of it! (I set up a litter box and they all slept in it and ate the litter...gave a whole different meaning to the term "litter" box! :lol: )
But I am TRYING to teach them! (Mostly I just give in and cuddle them each...one by one...until I smell just like them!)
But you just can't imagine how sweet it is to walk into a room and have seven of the most beautiful faces looking up at you, hoping that you will pick them up for a snuggle...ummm, nice.
...I forget why I decided to write! I DID have a point... :roll: Oh well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yep, Bandit (9/18/05) is also playing the keep away game now... I swear, he wears me out before he tires... although, last night I had him goin while Kyren(12) was on backyard bomb duty... Then he finished up and tried the keep away game too.
Funny, because he was all proud that he outran Bandit to the fence. ;) not hard to do when the little guy had been running for 30 minutes or so!

Yep, the nipping thing was getting borderline aggressive, but BIG thanks to Maureen and John, they helped us to understand exhibiting our dominance and curbing that behaviour... now he will gently mouth us. Kyren is still learning and gets caught every now and then.

Bandit still views Kyren as a sibling/littermate than human/dog relationship. I suppose they will both learn eventually. :roll: Either that, or Kyren will be going to school naked, scratched and cut up. :lol:
Last night, Bandit growled and nipped at Kyren after finishing dinner and getting a drink. He learned that was not acceptable. Tia and I have been working with him on allowing others to get near his mouth/food while feeding and teaching him that it is okay.

Smart puppy though, he has learned:
"Sit"
"Down"
"Go to bed"
"Outdoors"
"Drink" most the time
"Get your ball/toy/bone"
"Drop it"
"Come"

He is also getting big. Need to weigh him and determine how much. Already on the second crate that we purchased. The little travel crate from Maureen lasted a couple weeks. The other Medium wire crate "Pet-something or other brand" was too small a week or so ago so we picked up an XL size with two doors and a divider in it @ Wally Word for ~$60.
BTW, if anyone is interested in the medium one, give me a shout...

He LOVES his Holee Roller ball, and the pressed rawhide chews. Them and Nylabone edibles...

Hes been pretty good this week, so I think I might go get him one of these Sat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have that bottom toy. Coal likes it ok. I've got something that Coal has to manipulate to get the treats out (not a cube, I can't remember the name) which is probably the favorite, followed by squeeky toys and nylabone edibles. What flavor of the nylabone edibles has Bandit tried? I bought a 2 pack of the bacon flavor and Coal has almost eaten one of the bones up. I have to take it away because it is too small. I want to try another flavor!

·
Registered
121 Posts
He likes the bacon a lot, but we tried these:

Sorry, Im a visual kinda guy.
He really liked that BBQ Chicken one too. Havent tried te Ham n Cheese yet.

I think Kyren likes the holee roller more than Bandit!!! :lol:

This sounds COOL!!!

Spot Zap Ball Flash 'N Sound Dog Toy
Entertain your dog with the ball that lights up on impact, then whistles, chirps, rings, and much more. Flashing ball makes eight different wacky sounds when it's whacked on a hard surface. Great for day or night play.

Im not so sure on the squeeky toys, Bandit detroys them in 0.08 seconds flat. So they end up getting taken away. Although they did have some squeekers in a tennisball type bone (KONG brand) that were enclosed and I considered getting them.
We did end up getting a big tennis ball for him to kick around outside... but the genius that he is, decided to pick it up and carry it. The thing is probably 6-8" in diameter (no pics sorry) and he would rather carry it than kick it... that is until you get him involved in the Holee Roller, then he tries to carry both... and when they just dont fit, he kicks the bigtennis ball around. They did have a 10-12" one too. Might just hafta get that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love the images! I don't even know how to do that! OK so the BBQ chicken is a hit..... good to know. I couldn't believe how quickly Coal was able to eat that bone. I don't think one lasted a week. That ball thing does look entertaining. I think my son would like that too!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Week???? LOL!!!! Im doin good for them to last an HOUR! Typically 30-45 min.

BTW, he had the ham n cheese this afternoon as a snack treat with Kyren... who knew.... apparently not I. Go figure. :roll: :lol:

The images are EASY! [img ]whatever link you have to a picture[/img ] Make sure you remove the space after the "img" on the tag

same goes for Bold - B
Italics - I
Underline - U

Key is brackets and a /brackets with the letter in between. Typical UBB code, and I post on a LOT of forums, so if you have technical questions, please let me know, I am happy to help.

That goes for anyone. I have lots of technical knowledge spread over a lot of arenas... I am pretty ignorant when it comes to dogs/puppies though. So it seems like a fair trade of knowledge for knowledge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well, let me tell you what a morning is a my house right now is like Gracie's puppies are almost 5 weeks old and we did whelp them in the house Gracie thinks she is to good for our Whelping house that the other dogs use :!: :roll: :lol: Anyway we get up and first thing Tejas (16 weeks) and Rogan (14 weeks) need to rush outside to potty, then back in for breakfast for Tejas, Rogan, Gracielou, Johnson everyone but Johnson scrafs down their food Johnson eats very slowly. I soak some kibble to give to Gracie pups since they are getting older. Back outside for everyone to potty again, feed Gracie's pups then wait about 30 minutes and clean their whelping box out. Back inside for the others OH some Where in there I do try and gulp down a much needed cup of Coffee!!! And this is just the morning and the house dogs now I head out to the whelping house and Kennel to take care of everyone else by then they have already heard the others outside in the yard and can't hardly wait for their breakfast!!! :lol: Not complaining I love my dogs all of them...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hahaha Linda, I guess you do have a busy time with all of your dogs. I think some of us just go through new dog owner shock! Again I will compare it to having kids where when you have your first kid your life is turned upside down but then adding them on from there gets easier as life is already chaotic and kid filled. I can imagine it's the same with dogs and that many of us with our first puppy may be here a year or so from now talking about our second puppy(and being a lot less stressed about it)!!! God Bless you Linda, Jac and all of the breeders on this site. You deserve tons of praise for a job well done!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.