Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking down the road a bit, but want to be prepared. We like to camp quite a bit in the summer. We recently bought an Avalanche to haul our camper. Right now when we travel, we don't go very far and the dogs are able to ride in the back seat of the truck with our daughters. However, I know they are going to get quite a bit bigger and it will be too uncomfortable for everyone to have them in the back seat. Is there a way to safely travel with them in the bed of the truck? I've seen various kennels and boxes on line that seem to be designed for hunters. That is a possiblility I guess. I'm not comfortable with the harnesses I have seen. Our truck has a hard cover that locks over the bed of the truck. It is in segments so we can use only part at a time if we want. I was wondering if we left the part closest to the cab locked over the truck bed and then used one of the suv type barriers I have seen if that would work to create a dog kennel in the back and be safe. Anyone tried anything like this? Other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My dog barrier wouldn't fit like that - it's not big enough. It won't go from the floor to the ceiling of my car, so I'm pretty sure the bed of our truck to the top of the shell wouldn't work either. Maybe yours is bigger?

·
Registered
260 Posts
i've seen people driving down the highway with a couple of hard-sided airline crates strapped down in the bed of their truck, facing backwards, with a dog in each crate. i assume you could tie the crates down just like you would any other load? the dogs would have to be trained to get used to it, starting with short trips i guess.

-em

1 - 3 of 3 Posts