Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 14 month old Goldendoodle. He is really a great dog but in the last few months we have noticed he seems to be in a "rebel" stage. I hear that most Goldens are a real PITA until they hit 2 or so. Is that true for Goldendoodles?

I have just had a lot of people tell me not to worry that he will calm down after he hits that milestone.

He does not do anything really terrible. He just jumps up on everyone... Jumps on the counter at the vet and groomer. And ignores the leave it command, and even the come command. Which he used to do fine with.

I just wondered if what everyone was telling me was really true... Or should I worry he will always be a wild child?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
A similar thing happened with Tanner caused I believe by his getting to be older and calmer so then we were lax with his training. Once we reinforced the boundaries again and re-established who was pack leader, things got better. Just like kids, they need rules and boundaries :wink:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree with annieG. My F1b, Nicky, is also 14 months old. I feel like I constantly have to reinforce the rules or else Nicky will "forget" them. Jumping up on people just isn't allowed. Nicky is a big dog (88 lbs. at last weigh-in) and could very easily knock a person over.

Whenever Nicky is out it public he wears a Gentle Leader Headcollar, which gives me much more control. He walks next to me on a shortened leash (I just hold it shorter), so he doesn't have a chance to pull me running down the street after a neighbor's cat!

·
Registered
127 Posts
We actually had some training issues at about 10 months and the trainer said that this could be considered "teenage" years in human terms when they're pushing their boundries. So I think there is credence to seeing them go through a rebelious stage and that its not all that unusual. I do remember that when our Great Dane turned 2, it was like he became a different dog. He calmed down, stopped pulling neighborhood children all over the yard, and stopped eating the woodwork. :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have a GD at 13.5mos and Peanut is kickin in Rebel stage again along with Max a LD at17.5mos hahahahaa
Beau is 5.5mos and learning from the other 2

don't worry they settle down around 2 years old VERSUS kids don't for what? 19ys or so? hahahaha

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
MaxandMe said:
I have a GD at 13.5mos and Peanut is kickin in Rebel stage again along with Max a LD at17.5mos hahahahaa

don't worry they settle down around 2 years old VERSUS kids don't for what? 19ys or so? hahahaha
Wishful thinking on the 19 years part Annmarie
teehee

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
blueteal said:
MaxandMe said:

Wishful thinking on the 19 years part Annmarie
teehee
SUE please i am trying hard to wear rosy colored glasses right now as my kids are turning 16, 18, and 20yrs old
and then 3 doodles that all hit their separate crazy stages simultaneously

soooooooooooo either i kill myself with laughter or i start drinking hahhahaa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts