Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I've been enjoying reading all the posts and learning about Labradoodles. We have a very old dog (15) who is probably in his last month of life and a wonderful 4 year old golden/collie mix who we rescued as a puppy. Because of her, I am beginning to research an intentional mix rather than an accidental one.

This is my question - I've read a lot of puppy posts, but not as many posts about owner's grown dogs. Can anyone tell me about the temperament of these dogs as they get older? Do they stay so rambunctious? Poodles are kind of intuitive like collies, which is a quality I really like. Do Labradoodles have that quality as well? Does a Goldendoodle have a gentler disposition?

Thanks for any answers! BTW, all of your dogs are adorable!

Debbie

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester will be 2 in June so I don't know if you consider that to be grown or not but I will tell you he is very laid back and mellow but is happy to get out and run and play. He's not a jumper or hyper. Many times we've gotten comments on how calm he is for one still so young. That's just my limited experience. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Debbie, welcome and congratulations on doing your research before you buy a puppy.

You ask a very good question and my first answer would be, yes, adult Labradoodles have great temperaments...but then I considered why and decided that I should add more:

Labradoodles, as with any other breed, mixed or pure, will have whatever is in their genetic makeup. You should find out about the parents of the dogs and if they have other litters produced, what those litters are like.

No dog is perfect, so if you get nothing but praise...well, that is a very loved dog!...but generally, if you keep asking pointed questions, you will find out that they did have some difficulties that had to be altered by a good training program.

I can say, without hesitation, that my Labradoodles are wonderful dogs. They are loving, loyal, smart, funny, and sweet. (And I think that they are so beautiful!)

But that doesn't mean that I didn't have problems with them as puppies. You have mentioned that you read these posts so I am certain that you are aware of this. :wink:

But, I just wanted to say that, as a breed, Labradoodles do have great temperaments...generally...but I am almost certain (although I don't know of any specifically) that there are some with problems.

So, rest assured that you have selected a fine mixed breed, one that is adored by most owners, but continue to do your homework on an individual basis. Check out the breeder (how are the puppies socialized, cared for, where are they raised, etc.) and ask about the parent dogs, getting other references if possible.

Also check for medical testing of the parents, this will help you to know that the breeder is searching for good traits and good health. When you know that these things are important to the breeder, you can be more confident that your puppy will be a healthy one, emotionally and physically.

All of that being said, the Lab qualities are really wonderful...as you know the Lab is one of the favorite breeds for family pets, so is the Poodle. Poodles are very intelligent. Some Poodles are know for being high-strung, but that has not been my experience. My Poodle is the most laid-back, calm, sweet dog I have ever seen. I have heard the same from the other breeders on this forum...that their Poodles and other breeding stock are fantastic familiy dogs.

From my experience, you can't go too far wrong with a Labradoodle, so long as you do your homework!

Please let us know when you get your little one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information! I've always loved Standard Poodles but my family refuses. I love the golden temperament, but have never had much experience with labs. I know labs can be quite a handful (as are all puppies), but I didn't know if labradoodles had the same reputation. From what I remember of labs, it can take a couple years to outgrow puppyhood. Not that that's a bad thing! It's just something to take into consideration!

We have always done a lot of dog training with our dogs, and my golden/collie mix was a dream. Do you find that dog training has been relatively easy with your dogs?

Thanks again for all information!

Debbie

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Debbie,

Our Labradoodle Sawyer is 5 months and certainly all rambunctious puppy for sure! Still, he is much more calm than my preivious dog, a lab/shepherd, at the same age . He is so smart and seems to understand when I speak to him and so training, even with my limited experience, is going very well. He is very eager to please and probably the smartest puppy I have ever met. I think the word intuitive is right on.

The parents temperament make a big difference. Sawyer's Mom (yellow Lab) is of English stock which our breeder said have bigger heads and more mellow temperament. His Dad is a small standard apricot Poodle with a perpetual smile on his face, which Sawyer inhereted! It is a great mix!

Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning Debbie...yes! Labradoodles are sooooo easy to train! Some are a bit stubborn, then you might have a bit of trouble...but they are very, very smart animals. Every trainer that we have had to work with our Labradoodles has raved about how smart and easy to train that they are. The trainers have always been impressed with them. (They can usually "get it" in just a few commands.)

If your family prefers Golden Retrievers, you might want to look at the Goldendoodles. I have a GD too, and she is a beauty...and very smart as well. F1 Goldendoodles, generally, have a better coat than F1 Labradoodles, but not always...again, look at the parents, siblings, past litters, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Jac, when you say that F1 GD have a better coat than F1 LD what do you mean exactly? Also, Is the puppy coat any indication of their adult coat? It is all so confusing!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, Amanda, I am glad you asked this, because I didn't mean to indicate that it is a "better" coat...it all depends on what you are looking for. Since many people are looking for a more lush, thick, curly coat, the F1 Goldendoodle has this more consistently.

But MANY, including myself, people LOVE the F1 Labradoodle coat, which gives them a scruffy "Disney" appearance, and also, you can find F1 Labradoodles with lush, thick, curly coats too.

So, when I said "better" coat, I meant better, as far as the qualities people look for in a dood...low/non-shedding, low/non allergenic. Not better in the sense that it is more preferable.

In answer to your question, it is really hard to say if a puppy coat is an indication of adult coat. I have seen puppies with Lab-looking coats turn into curly mops! Usually, however, a curly coated puppy will not become a flat coated adult...but you never know for sure! The best indication is to see past litters from the same parents. This usually helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts