Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Napa is afraid of barking dogs. We've finally made friends with the Shi Tuz downstairs, and it doesn't bark. But, most of the other dogs in the complex do. When we go downstairs to go out, and there's a dog barking, Napa will make a b-line for the stairs to get back up.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what to do to help him out? I want to eventually take him to the dog park when he's old enough, and I'm afraid that this fear of barking is going to last. We have targeted the "barking" as the problem. Both Anthony and I have pretended to bark while in the house and Napa tucks, squats, and runs....

p.s. Napa is going for his first grooming today- he needs his nails cliped, a sanitary cut, and I'm going to trim the hair around his eyes so you cans see them better. So look out for before and after pictures!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh I can't wait to see the photos :)

Dexter did the same when he was a little puppy (i.e. he would jump and act scared when dogs would bark on our walks). Honestly when this happened we just acted like nothing was going on and continued our walk. Eventually he just got used to it and now will totally ignore it. I have heard they pick up on the actions/feelings of the owner/walker and if you act like nothing is going on they will eventually do the same.

I would recommend a lot of social interaction once all the shots are complete during the first few months.

G

·
Can't wait to see new Napa pictures!

How about a really special treat each time you 'bark'. (You could also record different barks.) Start doing it at random times of day and give Napa a small piece of cheese or roast beef. The association with barking should start to be good.

G

·
Just remember not to coddle him when he acts scared...this reinforces the idea that there is something to be afraid of.

Here is a CD of different barks:

The Dog Barking CD Personal Use Sounds The personal use dog bark sounds CD can be used for non-profit sound projects for home, school, students, dog bark sounds for teachers, dog barking sounds for church plays, dog bark sounds for websites, dog bark sounds for plays, dog barking sounds for theater, dog barking sounds for presentations, dog barking sounds for home scenes, dog barking sounds for home movies, Dog Bark sounds for cartoons, dog barking sounds for animal training, dog barking sounds for home property protection, natural dog bark sounds, Dog Barking Sound for Halloween Sounds, Dog Barking sounds for Halloween Sounds, dog barking background noise or any sound project that will not make a profit.

http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/dogbark.htm

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
And then comes the day when Napa finds out that he can do a "Big Boy Bark"! :shock:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
we just acted like nothing was going on and continued our walk
This is exactly what I was going to advise. He's a baby and has to learn everything... if he sees you're not alarmed, he'll learn not to be.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am trying to act "normal"... but I did a motherly reaction last night. A little chihuahua or mini pincher came flying out of no where barking like mad. The last thing I wanted was for him to be "attacked" by a barking dog. But I knew afterwards that the fear I had and me snatching him up wasn't a good idea. So what should I do in this situation?

*edit* Oh and Linda (I think) said giving a treat when we bark. That sounds like a good idea!!! I'll try that. Oh and was your second post about a cd full of barking dogs? That might be more helpful- because as hard as the two of us try, we're not very good at impersonating dogs!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
When we first got Tanner and started to take him out on a leash, he would only go 1 house away then turn around and want to go home. We worked with him every day and eventually I got him to go around the block.

One day after a snowstorm we were on our way around the block when the lady on the corner let her dog out (no leash) and it charges us. Now mind you it was just a small, less than 10 lbs) dog but Tanner was frightened and I slipped and fell, lost the leash and then Tanner was really frightened.

I avoided this corner for about the next week then I tried walking him by it again, talking to him, soothing him and encouraging him with treats. It took several walks past the house, but eventually he was able to walk by and not have any reaction.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Paintsmeblue said:
That might be more helpful- because as hard as the two of us try, we're not very good at impersonating dogs!
Kristen, you're getting great advise here, I never had a problem with Jonah or Miko with barking dogs.

I have to giggle imagining you and your BF praticing barking with Napa.... :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My Tuesday was scared of big dogs for a long time as she grew up with little dogs. We had to go out of town and put her in the kennel for about 5 days. I'm not sure what happened but she was more into meeting other dogs after that.
Maybe doggie day care a few times???

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I with Leslie on this one....we always act nonchalant when Peanut shows fear or max did earlier on

Peanut was scared of her own shadow!! She once saw her shadow at sunset in our backyard and tried running away from it :roll: hahhaa
At 9.5mos old she's coming into her own now and not scared of much lately

1 - 12 of 12 Posts