Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question about Canidae food. As you all know we switched our little doodle to Canidae/Innova puppy food. He seemed to have transitioned well, however he passes gas now and it's stinky. I am not sure which food is causing it. I also gave him little bit of Canidae canned food yesterday and I am hoping that is what causing it as I don't want to switch his food on him again. Anyone has any ideas or experiences with both companies? I mix both dry food only because if I don't he steals Hope's food (8 year old mix). The food I bought is all life stages so it should be good for puppy but I also bought Innova just for puppies. I was giving canned food to Hope and gave him some too. I am hoping that it's the canned food that makes him gassy. Any idea?

Thank you!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
lovemytb said:
Hello,

I have a question about Canidae food. As you all know we switched our little doodle to Canidae/Innova puppy food. He seemed to have transitioned well, however he passes gas now and it's stinky. I am not sure which food is causing it. I also gave him little bit of Canidae canned food yesterday and I am hoping that is what causing it as I don't want to switch his food on him again. Anyone has any ideas or experiences with both companies? I mix both dry food only because if I don't he steals Hope's food (8 year old mix). The food I bought is all life stages so it should be good for puppy but I also bought Innova just for puppies. I was giving canned food to Hope and gave him some too. I am hoping that it's the canned food that makes him gassy. Any idea?

Thank you!
OKAY lovemytb...i do know MAX had severe gas and rooming clearing SBD's on INNOVA. i also know of many other people writing on another site about the same thing.

I use life stages....word of caution: OVERFEEDING can cause possible gas and/or mushy poops. IF you mix in Canidae canned food....only a tablespoon at a time if they aren't used to it
AND INNOVA MOIST did the same as dry: BAD STINKY GAS

I am NOT trying to sound like a know it all....just went through the same thing last November. we tried 6 foods..........CANIDAE is working wonders and NO GAS (whew!) :D :D :D
OH Max and PEANUT are both on canidae life stages

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only give him Innova mixed with Canidae dry food. Just this Sunday and Monday I gave him two table spoons of Canidae canned food. I am not sure if this is what is causing gas. I told my husband not to give him that stuff and just keep him on dry food only and see if he still has gas. If so I will try just Canidae without mixing Innova and if that's the problem than I will take Innova back to the store.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an additional question about Canidae. A friend of mine has a Maltese and her vet told her to switch to Canidae to reduce or eliminate the red tear stains. Something about Canidae not having beet juice in it or something. This did work for her. No more red tear stains on her white dog.

Has anyone else experienced this?

G

·
Not sure what your friend was feeding before Canidae, but most dog food does not have beet JUICE in it, just beet PULP, and beet pulp is colorless according to the Dog Food Project:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... erproducts
Beet Pulp, the isolated fibrous material from sugar beets, is another ingredient that has an undeservedly bad reputation. It is a very gentle, beneficial source of fiber that is not only generally very well tolerated, but also has specific properties that make it suitable as a source of nutrition for the beneficial bacteria that reside in the intestinal tract. The sugar is almost completely removed, what is left in the pulp is only about 1/5 the amount of sugar that you would find in a serving of carrots of equal size. It is also colorless and does not turn a dog's coat turn red, like urban legends claim. The argument that beet pulp is an "unnatural" ingredient is often brought up, but people who present this complaint seem to forget that it is also not natural for dogs to eat highly processed commercial products with a carb content of generally 40% and more, and a moisture content of only around 10% as opposed to a more natural 60-70%. Added fiber is required to make such formulations work for the pets who eat a dry diet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
canidae caused bad gas and diarrhea in our dog. her breeder has all of her dogs on canidae and is a canidae distributor, so of course she said that is the only food you should feed. but after several weeks witnessing (and cleaning up) loose stools, our vet recommended we switch. i have talked to a friend who is a vet and asked her about canidae and her response was "that is not good dog food. it is too rich for most dogs". so that shocked me. she said that it is not properly balanced for dogs, but since it uses human grade ingredients, everyone thinks it is better than the typical dog food. so, you may want to consider that it could be the canidae. it would not be uncommon.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK i feed DRY canidae....i know with the canned canidae food if i mix in MORE than a Tablspoon it will give them gas/and or diarrhea in past. i don't know why either but they are fine with the dry

oh i also add a bit of boiled chicken and oatmeal sometimes a teaspoon or so of pumpkin Or pineapple in with the dry all life stages lamb,chicken,etc dry food...oh if you add sweet potatoe no more than a tablesppon

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
exactly!!! right food with right dog produces the right results!

what works for some may not work for others. I must say TRIAL and ERROR was a big part for Max. After many months of digestive issues, gas then diarrhea, then his coat going dull, shedding alot, red and blooshot eyes, and lost the spring in his step ....the regular bland diet and meds for instestines didn't work---well I then went to work! customized bland diet which produced rapid results but needed to balance it out with dog food. As cooking constantly was wearing me and my bankaccount down.

some were too rich, others had food allergy reactions? and so on MY OWN vet like Sessa's said if it aint broke dont fix it, meaning he saw amazing results with customized blanddiet then mixed SLOWLY with Canidae. So Max is living proof that for now we have possibly found the right food. He gets 1 cup Canidae dry with each meal and tad of bland diet. Max gained back the 9lbs he lost and put a few more on and now looks sooooooo healthy for once. So does Peanut.
Max had stopped growing at 6.5mos and didn't grow again till recently.

So for us here Canidae won over Innova evo and puppy, blue buffalo, purina senstive tummy, nutro sensitive tummy and puppy food.

I also like that their poops are smaller in size now but that didn't happen overnight though. and less odor too.

Calif Natural and Life's abundance get great reviews too from dog owners. For US though anything with eggs seems to bring on squirts which is why we didnt' try them. took long time to figure out EGG problem.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Canidae is the only food I would feed Denver.
As all ready pointed out, to each there own to find what works with their dog but for a vet to say that about Canidae, I find that very unfortunate :cry:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had my guys on Canidae, Innova and Felidae for cats for over a week now. Here is what I found. My 8 year old female dog Hope loves her Canidae food and has NO gas at all. She also loves her Canidae canned food. We give her two table spoons of it once a day and she eats it up without problems. She didn't show any signs of gas or runny poop. Our new puppy (doodle) is on the mix of Canidae all life stages and Innova dry food. At first when I started giving the puppy one table spoon of Canidae wet food twice a day he started to pass stinky gas but NO loose poop at all. So at first I blamed Innova because it's the only food that is different. However after I looked at the can I accidently picked up Platinum wet food instead of all stages that included puppies. So I went back to the store and exchanged it for all life stages canned food and NO MORE stinky gas! He still gets Innova food mixed with a little bit of Canidae dry and Canidae wet food twice a day. I think we have found the problem that caused gas to our little doodle.

Now I also feed Felidae dry and canned to my 4 kittens. When I first started feeding them dry food their litter boxes had no odor. I was very excited about that, however I have noticed since I have been giving them wet food their poop became very stinky. BUT I cannot totally blame it on Felidae as I have mixed other brand canned food so I am now trying to figure out which one makes their poop stink. I know it is not Felidae dry food so it has to be one of the cans of wet food. As of today they are 100% on Felidae and I will keep them this way for a few days to see if the smell of their poop change and eliminate the problem as I find it.

I have done a lot of research and spoke to a lot of people that feed Canidae and I have not found one person saying anything bad about the food. I will continue feeding Canidae and Felidae unless my animals refuse to eat or something changes. I am starting to really like this food.

G

·
It is so true about matching the right food to the dog.
And Annmarie, Bella cannot eat eggs either (although she LOVES them!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts