Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My girlfriend was offered a job in Madrid, and one of the big deciding factors of us going or not is that we heard that when you move dogs to a foreign country, they have to be quarantined for 40 days.

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on this subject?

Thanks!

Adam

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't know about Spain, but I suspect it's the same as France; once the Chunnel opened quarantine was done away with. I have a friend from Maine who bought a standard poodle in France, and she takes her back and forth with her whenever she goes back there to paint or run workshops.

I thought of bringing my pup with me last time we went, but didn't want to subject her to the cargo hold for two flights! I may consider it another time when she's older.

Leslie

·
Registered
248 Posts
A couple thoughts...

1. A friend of mine moved to the States from Ireland when she was young and they left their eldery dog in Ireland with relatives because there was a 6 month mandatory quarantine. How anyone could justify leaving a 12 year old dog in quarantine for 6 month is beyond me. I think they did the right thing. This was the 80s however. Things may have changed.

2. I read about Pet Passports in a Rolling Stone magazine not long ago. Orlando Bloom refuses to go anywhere without his beloved dog and was able to get her a passport so she wouldn't have to be quarantined everytime he's traveling. I think you just have to be extremely up-to-date on all shots, etc.

Keep us posted. I'd love to live in Spain for a while!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that link! It was really helpful.

The ballet company that my girlfriend would be working with will take care of her visa and such, but since we aren't married, I would have to figure out the rest.

I might have to sneak into one of the dog kennels and busk on the street for money though! I have no idea what I would do for a living, but it sounds like an adventure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts