Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had already told this story, but I can't find it on the forum:

Last week I was rushing around madly trying to get ready to go away. Chouette was slated to stay with a dogsitter, so I wanted to get to Petsmart and make her a tag with my son's phone number as contact, just in case, since we wouldn't be home to answer our own phone. Chouette came with me, as usual, and we accomplished our mission. But I had to go somewhere to pick up a sketchpad, too. I had planned to leave Chou in the car, but then the sun came out and I realized it would probably get a bit warm in there. What to do? There was an office supply store adjacent to Petsmart, so I got a cart and plunked Chou into it. I figured the worst they could do would be to throw me out.

Trying to keep a straight face, I went and bought my sketchpad. I even had to leave her for a minute to ask someone which aisle I'd find it in. Chouette was good as gold. When I went up to the checkout counter the girl never said a word. You'd think that people came by with dogs in their carts every day. I suspect she just had NO idea how to handle it, and so did nothing. She probably asked the manager afterwards and is armed for bear, now, should I pull such a trick again. But if Chouette gets much bigger that won't be an option for very much longer anyway, so it's fun while it lasts.

I'm in France, now, and dogs are everywhere: in cafes, stores, post offices, and in general living the life of Riley. France is a great place to be a canine. I am missing Chouette terribly, but I have to chuckle; the sitter called me just before I left, to report in, since we had dropped her off the day before to make sure there'd be no issues. She told me that Chouette spent her first night there in their recliner! She's going to be one spoiled pup when I get her home!

Leslie

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hillarious! I think we should be able to bring our pups everywhere....they are better behaved than most children! :shock:

What brings you to France? Lucky you - but I bet you really miss your girl!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We went last year at this time, too, but that was our first visit. My rationalization is that it's a painting trip; I have actually sold quite a few reproductions from the paintings I did after last year's trip. It amazes me because it's such a specialized niche; I didn't think there'd be that much interest in them. But I had a lot of fun doing them!

We like to spend a couple of weeks in Languedoc, in the south of France, where we know some people - also painters - and then go to Paris for a few days before flying home. Today we spent the morning wine-tasting and picked up some bottles of a regional specialty, Blanquette de Limoux. It's actually the first sparkling wine that was ever made, or at least recorded.

I was tempted to bring Chouette, because one of the people we'll see here is from Maine and visits France frequently with her poodle, Bisous. But our granddaughter will be joining us for the second half of the trip, and I have a feeling that a ten-year-old is enough without adding a doodle to the mix. Maybe next time...

Leslie

G

·
I'm jealous....France!!! I hope you have a great time!! It sounds like Chouette is having a very relaxing vacation at her sitters! Hahaha

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Sounds like you are in a wonder place. I hope you will post some pictures. Have a great time...sounds like Chouette is having a fun time too :) :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I see pet strollers everywhere now. You can take them into the stores as long as they are in those strollers.

Of course, I don't think they make strollers big enough for most full grown doodles, but it would be fun if they did!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I was a manager at Linen's and Things for years and we allowed dogs in the store... as long as they were small enough to fit into a shopping cart we didn't say a word.

Sounds like you are having a GREAT time on your trip - Paint me green with envy!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
debbildog said:
I was a manager at Linen's and Things for years and we allowed dogs in the store... as long as they were small enough to fit into a shopping cart we didn't say a word.

Sounds like you are having a GREAT time on your trip - Paint me green with envy!
That sounds so sensible. If a dog's small enough to fit in a cart, why not? Chouette's still only about 34 lbs. and she's six months on the tenth of October, so maybe she'll stay relatively portable. Although from recent discussions it sounds like growth curves are all over the place for our little ones.

Today I went to a life class for some figure drawing in the morning, and in the afternoon we drove over to the town where we stayed last year and coincidentally ran into a woman who turned out to own the house I painted a picture of. I got her address and told her I'd send her a copy of it. She invited me in to see the back of her house and her garden, and she and her husband gave us some tomatoes to ripen and use for seed stock for our own garden. What a special encounter! We're just loving it.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The only store, other than pet supply stores, that allows dogs inside is our local liquor store (liquor is only sold in state run stores). They have a sign up in the window asking people to bring them in for a treat and not leave them in their hot cars :) :) :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Leslie sounds liek you are enjoying your trip so far, how neat to run into the owner of the house you painted and get to visit!

Annie that is great they allow pets - too many people leave their pets in cars - makes me soooo mad :x

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WOW France...that is awesome!!! take lots of pics too :wink: enjoy the scenery, wine , food and tell us all about it!!! :D :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts