Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning when I went to go carry Napa down the stairs to go out, I realized that the hair around the tip of his penis was crusty. Upon further investigation, there is green-ish pus coming out of his penis. Now, because Napa is such a low squatter, I can't tell if he's peeing normally. I DO know that he IS peeing, because there's usually one peeing accident a day here... but if he's having trouble peeing, that might explain the accidents.

So, should I be concerned, and call the Vet? He has been licking himself, but I didn't think it was any more than Striker did. And this is the first morning I noticed the crusties... But now is NOT a good time for him to be sick. I was hoping to fly home to RI some time either this weekend or next week... my grandfather died yesterday. But I guess when it rains it pours....

Kristen

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it's definitely worth a call at least. Especially since you're in a time crunch. Dogs like kids pick these times don't they!! I agree with you that it could explain some "accidents." Good luck and so sorry about your grandfather.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Yes I would definitely call the vet. When Dexter was neutered he had something similar and the vet said it was an infection and he was put on meds. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
A vote for calling the vet here too! I would at least call the vet and describe the symptons. You don't want to let an infection get out of hand with a little guy like that :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Kristen, I am so sorry about your grandfather.

I agree with the others that you should see the vet (or at least call) because it is probably nothing more than a slight UTI but they can get pretty painful if not cleared soon. And a little antibiotics can really help.

The "stickiness" is not unusual, that happens in boys quite often but the discharge is of concern to me.

Once diagnosed and cured, there are many things you can add to his diet to help him so that he isn't likely to have it happen again.

Try not to worry too much...and best wishes to you and your family at this sorrowful time.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I am very sorry for the loss of your dear Grandfather.
Life sometimes throws a lot of things at one time directly in
our way. You are strong and have a loving family to support you
and you have us, your second family :wink: :wink:

Take a deep breath and handle what you can from where you are
and take puppy to vet and go :wink: :wink: from there.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Kristen, I am very sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I also would check with your vet regarding Napa's discharge. It would, at the least, give you some piece of mind at a time when you don't need anything else to worry about.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did call the Vet. She didn't seem TOO concerned, but said that if I liked, I could bring him in. So, I think I'm going to do that. She said some discharge is NORMAL? But with me leaving him home with Anthony, I think we should bring him in now while I'm home, before it gets worse.

Thanks for all your support. It's much appreciated.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Somehow Anthony managed to see Napa pee... and it was only a trickle. So, off to the Vet we go. *sigh* I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Heart felt sympathies go out to you and your family during your time of loss.

I hope a quick trip to the vet will get Napa flowing normal again.

God bless and take care

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. All of my grandparents have passed, so I certainly can relate.

I hope Napas problem clears up quickly. Usually it's just a matter of getting them started on an antibiotic.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after the Vet visit....

She isn't surprised with how much he's gone through for him to have a bladder infection. So we're now on antibotics. And we've also now started peeing randomly. Can I go out and buy some of those puppy diapers for him so we stop peeing on the floor? Or since we're fighting an infection, it wouldn't be such a good idea? Because he's not even squatting anymore. The last time he was just standing there and he peed. I'm just worried about the carpeting.

We have also gained 2 more pounds. He's now 17lbs, and the doctor is much happier with his weight, and he's not quite as boney.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone using diapers. Could you keep Napa confimed to floor areas only?

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandfather.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the only tile in our apartment is in the bathroom and the kitchen. The rest is rug.... and he HATES being away from us.... especially when we're home. So I'm not sure if it'll work.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristen......my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. So sorry to hear of your loss.

and thanks for an update on Napa....hang in there honey there is light at the end of the tunnel

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Have you tried Annmarie's way of tethering him to you, that way you can watch him closely. Also with the antibiotics, you probably will want to take him out every half hour or so and PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE! Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Kristen, I know that this adds to your worries, and I dont' want to do that, but Lexie actually GOT a UTI from wearing those diapers...when she urinated in one and I didn't know, it remained damp until I found out and the UTI got pretty bad, so I don't think I'd use the band for Napa just yet. Besides, it might rub and irritate the end of his penis. You could, however, do what we do with our puppies...in fact, I just got back from Home Depot...we buy remnants of linoleum (sp??) and then put an x-pen around it so that they stay where we want them to be but it gives us freedom to move them where we are.
I know that is too much for you right now but maybe someone could make those arrangements for you?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts