Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up our 8 week old tan labradoodle from the pet store a week ago. I took her to the vet the very next day (as a precaution I have 3 children 8,2,1) and found out a ton of things. She had worms, parasites and was missing shots. I left with a bag of meds and a nice sized vet bill. Then two days later she started to cough terribly and I was back at the vet again. She hass a terrible case of bronchitis and was put on two more medicines. I have to take her to the vet tomorrow for a recheck. I went to the pet store and found out her sister (who was still there) was also sick. The manager said that the breeder would not cooperate and they didn't know what to do. Other than venting, my questions are, is this normal? Do puppies usually get sick? Should the breeder or pet store share some of the vet bills? I am so confused. I already love this puppy like she is one of my children. She is the best puppy, sleeps through the night, making great strides in potty training. I just don't know how the best way to handle her sickness is. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Dora's mama,
Beth

·
Registered
689 Posts
That is horrible! I'd expect both the breeder and the pet store to help out with the vet bills but I'm betting they don't. I can't believe the pet store said they didn't know what else to do. Did they sell you this pup knowing she was sick? How can they do business that way.
Dora is very lucky to have you! If she were still at the store nothing would be being done to make her feel better. Keep us posted on her progress.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wow. You've really got your hands full. It sounds like Dora is really lucky that she found you.

It is extremely common for puppies to have worms. The treatment for them has to be repeated and in certain circumstances (We live out in the country and all sorts of critters pass through - giving our puppies contact with parasites of all sorts.) pups (consult your vet about how old) should be on a monthly preventative medication year round.

However, responsible breeders make sure their pups are regularly treated for these routine issues AND they will make sure your puppy's shots are up to date AND they would never send a sick puppy to a new home AND they will respond like lightening to one of their babies getting sick. It is absolutely NOT normal for your puppy to be coughing and struggling with a communicable disease.

Responsible breeders don't sell their pups through pet stores.

I never recommend purchasing any animal from a pet store. You have no direct contact with the breeder, and therefore have no clue what conditions your puppy comes from. Unfortunately humanity includes a great number of people who will use dogs for personal profit with absolutely no concern for the welfare of the animal.

As you now have unfortunately discovered, there is no one but you to care for your new little Dora girl - you and all of us here at the doodle forum who will happily pass on any advice we can.

There are a number of responsible breeders who lovingly and tirelessly contribute to this forum and I know that they will have some really good advice for you. More than I can give, I'm just a doodle mommy and right now I'm really furious with little Dora's breeder. My one piece of advice is to make a giant fuss at your pet store. If they won't help you (and the pup they still have in confinement), please NEVER, NEVER shop there again. And tell everyone you can to stay away as well.

Dora sounds like a jewel and you couldn't possibly avoid being attached to her already. Bless you for taking such good care of her.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am sorry about your puppy's illness. It is not right for a business to sell something they cannot back-up or guarantee. I would tell everyone I know to stay away from that store. Puppies do get sick, but they should start out healthy. I hope Dora gets better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hate stories like this one. Poor Dora!
I would take it to the local animal control officers to make sure this pet store is handling the other puppies' illnesses. If it isn't handled correctly, then the other animals will be ill also. I would also point out the the pet store (especially if it's a chain) should cover at least part of the bill. If they don't act like they are going to, at least talk to the owner or manager of the store. I'm pretty sure they would like to keep the customer happy. If all else fails, go to the press. That should get someones attention.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dora the sick puppy

I can't thank all of you enough for your encouraging and thoughtful comments. The pet store said that they would never get another animal of anykind from where they got Dora from. I am located in North Carolina. My heart goes out to every animal big, small, sick or healthy. So I am glad that we have her and she is getting the proper medical attention. I knew getting her also meant taking care of her. I just didn't know if it was normal or if anyone else had gone through it. Dora goes back tomorrow for a recheck and to be honest she is not any better. She could hardly play outside a few minutes ago because she couldn't stop coughing everytime she would try to run. My heart aches and I have been praying that she will get better. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for thinking that the pet store should credit me somehow. Maybe some free dog food!! :D Thanks for everyone's concern!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am just heart-sick for you. Poor Dora...but she was indeed blessed when you walked in the door. Thank goodness for people like you!
I must say that, traditionally, pet stores buy puppies from puppy mills, that's most likely why the breeder is not concerned and probably why the puppies are sick in the first place. Of course, I don't know this to be true, but it is what most people in the dog business believe to be true.
Unfortunately, the unsuspecting public doesn't know this. A person goes to the pet store because you would think that they love and care for pets.
I agree that I would make a huge commotion at the pet store.
Look at your sales contract and see what it says (even the small print) and then check on your state and local laws to see what restrictions, if any, they place on the sale of live animals.
In California we have a puppy lemon law and many restricitons for sales of puppies...I hope that, armed with this information, you can demand a full refund of your purchase price AND keep your beloved puppy...after all, the real concern is the puppy's health and well being...at least that is what you are interested in (thank goodness) and they should be too.
Sometimes television and news media have consumer advocates to help in this type of situation too...I'd check that out.
As far as what to do for your puppy now that you are totally in love and she is part of your family...we are here for you! Ask away!
And...bless you for your loving and caring soul...little Dora is finally in good hands!

·
Registered
279 Posts
bminder - I'm so sorry Dora is no better.

This morning when I responded to your post I was really angry with Dora's breeder and I still am. But right now I'm sure you are worried enough about your pup that the last thing you need is someone else venting and most of my post was just that, I'm afraid. Please accept my apologies.

This forum is an amazing group of dog lovers. Know that we are all rooting for you and Dora. Please keep us posted on how you guys are doing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
puppy sick

There is no need for apologies. I appreciate all of your comments and I found them very helpful. I wish I had been more prepared and that is my only regret. I am so glad that Dora goes back today because I would of had to take her anyway. I stepped into the kitchen this morning and I heard this noise, found out it was her breathing. She is really congested this morning. I haven't been able to put her on the zip line because I want to keep an eye on her. I will post how she does at the vet this morning.
On a more positive note: Dora made it through the night with out an accident! She is 9 weeks old and I was so tickled that I didn't have to mop the floor. She got two treats for going outside this morning! She is now watching my kids eat breakfast.
Thanks again everyone!
Beth and Dora
PS
http://www.puppychow.com/fun_stuff/your ... x?id=30112
I have two pictures of Dora on this cute website if anyone wants to take a peek!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I to am sorry for the sick puppy there really isn't much for me to add but as a breeder myself I would think someone would want to help you with the vet bills I would at least ask the store who the breeder is they probably won't tell you I've heard they have contracts with the stores so the stores can't disclose this info, that might not be every sotre or state though. I would for sure get something from the store and like others said I would never shop there again and tell everyone you know not to. Make sure you tell family and friends if they ever buy a pet to buy from a reputable breeder and not a pet store most good breeders offer at least a 2 year health guarantee on their dogs. Tell them to ask lots of questions and get references. I don't like to point fingers or say a breeder is bad without knowing for sure somethings come up and a breeder just might not know, the true test is once they if they offer to help with the bills then you know what kind of true breeder they are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dora's vet appointment

I just got back from taking Dora to her vet appointment. She has gained 4 pounds in a week!! The vet said that was good! The good news is that she is not worse. He said she sounded the same and to keep giving her the medicine. She now has discharge from her nose and is coughing up stuff too. He wants me to take her back Monday to be rechecked and he is going to put her on another 10 days of antibiotics to avoid a secondary infection. I am going to go back to the pet store and try to talk to the manager again. I have been trying so hard to be nice, but this time I may have to demand some type of action. Thanks so much for the support and I will keep everyone posted.
Beth & Dora

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi BMinder,

good to hear the vet report.

I was just wondering, is Dora only on antibiotics, or are you giving her nasal drops too, to help her breath easier? My Pacha had an episode with congestion and nasal discharge (lasted a couple weeks too) and the nasal drops really helped her breath, and dissolve all the slime that was clearly stuck in her respiratory system. I would definitely ask your vet about it. It's not a medicine (as in - it doesn't cure anything), but it definitely makes things more comfortable for your pup!

Keep us posted, and by the way, Dora looks very cute on the pictures!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good report from the vet. I had bronchitis last month and was miserable!

I'm also glad your still going after the pet store. Of course after looking at Dora's picture its easy to see why you couldn't walk away from her. She's a doll!

·
Registered
279 Posts
bmineder- Thanks for the photo. What a cutie! I'm glad you got a postive report from the vet. Hopefully she'll turn the corner over the weekend and you'll all be more comfortable. Lucky Dora to have you.

I would pursue some help with your vet bills at the very least. Question: Is Dora's sister still there?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did go by the pet store after I picked up my son from preschool. Unfortunatly Dora's sister is still there. She is a solid black labradoodle with a very sweet face. She appears to have lost some weight and she was just lying there coughing like Dora does. I am not sure if they are treating her. I saw that all of her info had been taken down and there was no sold sign. I tried to speak to the manager who gave me a very rude brush off. She said to save the vet bills and the owner of the pet store would reimburse me for the sickness related parts of her vet bill and then stomped off. I stood there with my jaw dropped holding my baby and my 2 year olds hand in shock. I was surprised that they are going to cover some of the bills but couldn't believe how the store manager acted. Does she not know what we have been through the last 9 days? Three trips to the vet, dog gagging medicine, the all nighter I pulled watching this dog cough and gag almost to death? The tears I have cried? How could she be so rude and uncaring? And Dora's poor sister! She is the only puppy in whole store. Her eyes look just like Dora's as I stared at her through the glass caged window. They should be ashamed of there selves. I am going to try to calm down, pray and talk to my husband about what we should do next. I pictured many things when thinking about getting a puppy, none of this was in it!
Thanks so much for the nose drop suggestion. I think she is going to need them because she is so stopped up. I spent about 5 minutes trying to clean her nose. This is after the vet did it already this morning. I can't thank everyone for their support. It means so much to me that everyone has been so helpful and kind. I am keeping positive that this weekend she will get better and her vet visit will go well on Monday. Thanks again everyone!! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
You are a very brave and strong person! I admire you for standing up to the pet store manager. Shame on them! It is heartbreaking to hear about Dora's sister. It is so unfair and just makes me sick. I will be thinking about your family. Dora is a-dora-ble!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey, I had a friend who had a similiar situation. Do you know what she did. She made a 18X24 poster with the picture of the puppy and also a copy of the vet bill. Then, she stood on the street in front of the pet store holding her sign silently. It was just a matter of minutes before the pet store manager came out and decided to discuss the matter of selling sick puppies.

Hope the puppy is better soon. They can even come to you sick from a breeder to. The important thing is to do the best you can with what you have.

In a couple of months you won't even hardly remember this. You will just be enjoying what a great dog she is.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
In my opinion, Pet Stores are no better than the puppy mills they get their dogs from. This story is so upsetting and to think of Dora's sister still being there just rips my heart out. Not to mention all the others we don't know about. I'm all for getting the media involved :!: :!:

I look forward to the vet report tomorrow and hope that Dora is on the road to recovery. She is very blessed to have been adopted by such a caring person, thank you :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I want to first of all tell you that Dora is so beautiful! She looks like such a sweet puppy. She is blessed to have you...and I am just sick about her sister still being there.
Maybe you could post the location and name of the pet store so that Labradoodle people in your area could help...maybe someone would be willing to take her and help to get her well. She really needs help soon...
I am so proud of you for standing up to the pet store manager...they are shameful. I don't know how they can treat these beautiful creatures like that. How they can let the sister lie around and not help her!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts