Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Lexi has been with us about 2 weeks now. We are working very hard to potty train (amoung other things). We've been out in the rain quite a bit, and mud is our middle name.

I would like to give her a bath. I bought puppy shampoo, but I realized I haven't the slightest idea how to begin.

Should I fill the tub first?

Leave the tub empty and fill it with her in it?

I want it to be as pleasant as possible.

Thanks

Maddie

·
Registered
401 Posts
put her in the tub. use a sprayer or hose and wet her down. praise her while you do this so she isnt scared and she is encouraged. you can wear gloves. put a good amt of soap in your hand and rub it into the fur. after you rub soap into her fur rinse her off so there is no soap. then wrap her in a towel. i use a blow dryder and dry my puppy. just make sure you dont burn her with the blow dryer. good luck!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Maddie, When we first got Lani (at 8 weeks) we had to give her baths all the time. Her legs were really short and she would pee on herself. I would give her a bath in the kitchen sink since whe was so small and the faucet has a pull out sprayer. I actually took the shampoo and put it in a bottle with some water to make it easier to spread evenly over her whole body. I wet her down parising her the whole time, added the shampoo and gave her a good scrub down then rinsed her. A couple of times I used a conditioner also. I wrapped her in a towel and used a 2nd to rub her down with. I used a portable heater near her to dry and let her snuggle down in another towel. (this was in February) She would sleep for a couple hours after her baths. I was able to get some work done while she slept. Sorry this is so long. Happy bathing! :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Lani was so use to getting baths from the breeder she was ok with it. She would still try to climb out at first but would settle down. She did shake, not sure if it was from being cold or scared. She never cried or tried frantically to get away.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I recently gave both the dogs a bath (each 50 lbs +) in the tub. We replaced the pull down sprayer for one that matched the sink faucet so when I went to bathe them I had to use a pitcher that I use for making lemonade to get them wet. Needless to say the pull down spray head is back on! I think it is the only way to go especially when thy are bigger and stronger! You will do great giving Lexi her first bath. Take some pictures they always look so different and cute when wet. :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
If you use a sprayer, be sure that your water temp doesn't fluctuate. Mine does and sometimes it runs hot and sometimes cold...so I fill the tub and rinse with a cup of clean water, continuing until all the soap is gone.
It is easier to rinse if you dillute the shampoo. I put the shampoo in a cup, add water and use it...there is still a nice suds, but not too much.
Also, protect their eyes...you can buy something to put into their eyes before bathing them to protect ...still, you want to avoid eyes if possible.
Be sure to rinse well, you dont' want to leave a soap residue that might burn/itch...especially in the "privates".
I let my dogs dry without blowdrying...it is a personal preference. My dogs are afraid of the blow dryer.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just wanted to add another option. It might sound gross to some people, though. I take Doc in the shower with me (Yes, I take a shower at the same time :oops: ) and rinse him off under the shower spray. (I don't have a pull-down shower head). That is alot easier on my back since I don't have to bend over and fill a cup or pitcher for rinsing. I just turn him in all directions to make sure all of him gets rinsed and also the shower head pivots some. He doesn't love it but he tolerates it (and he weighs 75 (+/-) lbs). It takes alot more rinsing the bigger they are. :D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
jonah's a card because he's not a fan of baths...loves mud though. he'll tolerate a bath with the sprayer. but if i'm taking a shower, he climbs half in and gets all wet! maybe next time i'll fake him into the shower!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
kim26 said:
Just wanted to add another option. It might sound gross to some people, though. I take Doc in the shower with me (Yes, I take a shower at the same time :oops: ) and rinse him off under the shower spray. (I don't have a pull-down shower head). That is alot easier on my back since I don't have to bend over and fill a cup or pitcher for rinsing. I just turn him in all directions to make sure all of him gets rinsed and also the shower head pivots some. He doesn't love it but he tolerates it (and he weighs 75 (+/-) lbs). It takes alot more rinsing the bigger they are. :D
actually I have used this method a million times!!! I also have used the outside method for the labrador cause he doesnt get cold! The sink method is good for little guys and the bathtub method I have used also!
I prefer paying someone though ;) :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
bathing our Max

HI everyone...I must say our Max LOVES water since we got him a month ago. His first bath: I get in the tub 1st, BABY TALKING him softly while using a hand held apray with TEPID water and praise him constantly.
Needless to say, since then I do believe he tries hard to roll in deer droppings just to have a bath. IN fact I finally trained this week for MAX NOT to jump in tubs anymore while anyone in our house takes a shower and/or a bath. (ok treats are the key)

Over the years I have bathed both CATS and DOGS...the baby talk with a soft tepid spray works the best while being in the bath with them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
lol.

ya I know what you mean, Riley is really big but i still wrap him up in the towel like the baby he really is and hold him!

glad everything went good!

lauren

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
She will get used to it...and learn to love it!
I used to put rubber duckies in the tub and my dogs dunked for them. Still, when I pour a tub of water (even if it's for me) Bayley jumps in!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I had to stop using the tub for Cinnamon's bath. She still tries to get in with us and Dad really likes to read and soak and well, you get the picture!
We have a heated garage with a hose and drain, so she gets a bath there. She's not huge (<60 lbs) but big enough. We always rub her down with towels and play with her after the bath to help her dry. She has a sparse coat, so she dries quickly. She doesn't like the bath part, but she knows it's playtime when it's done!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
cinsmom

KNOW WHAT ? MAX USED to try to take baths with me HOWEVER I brought up his favorite toy and some treats. It took 3 days to teach him if he did NOT try to run and jump he got a treat. NEXT he learned if he did not LEAN over the tub to accidentally fall in ---yes he got more treats

NOW Max just leans his head on the side...sighs with saddest look and when he lays down patiently waiting for me to finish ...yes he gets treats.

seems the treats work great with the praise. finally he lays down plays with his toy and yes when i am dressed he gets a treat and tons of praise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts