Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella has to have a minor operation on thursday to remove a small cyst on the back of her rear leg, she keeps picking at it and making it bleed so we clean it with salt water until she goes in. They will send it for testing as a precaution because of her long history of illness. We expect her home later that day.

Her tummy is also playing up, we tried to reduce the anti acid drug as we felt she was well enough to try it. It turns out it was too soon although she's now eleven months. So she's been poorly for a couple of days and is now back on the acid meds for another six months.

The vet comented that puppys often grow cysts so I wondered if anyone else had found this problem with their doodle?

Jamie

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have had a couple of dogs (not my doodles,yet) who had cysts. They were mostly of no consequence except one would occasionally rupture and bleed. Sometimes they would recur and sometimes not. I was told by a vet tech not to worry about them much as long as they move when you wobble them under the skin. He said that if they are really immobile it suggests that they have a blood supply or other attachment (which would need to be checked out). Anyhow, in my experience they are fairly common. HOWEVER, I am not a vet and I would have any cysts on a puppy checked to be sure.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fred had a cyst on his leg that was removed a few weeks ago. We brought him in when we first saw it and the vet thought it was a sebaceous cyst--he said it would be ok to watch it for a while as it was not attached to bone or muscle and could be moved around. I had looked up cyst on the internet and had found some pictures of sebaceous cysts that looked just like the one on Fred--that site said these things commonly appear on legs of young dogs. About two weeks after we first noticed it, Fred started to lick at it and a few days after he started to lick it, it ruptured and began to bleed a lot so he had surgery that day to remove it. We decided not to biopsy it due to the expense (a decision the vet said he was comfortable with) and also because they were able to remove the whole thing, and it did not have a blood supply and wasn't attached to bone or tissue. So far, he has been fine and hasn't had any more cysts appear.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jamie, I've not had a situation with cysts...thank goodness. I wish you both well and hope that the news is good for you and Bella!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She wasn't well enough for the operation today and the vet agrees we should wait until she is stable. She has stopped picking at the cyst so it's not bleeding anymore. They will phone the hospital on tuesday after easter break and ask if Bella needs to be re-admitted to them instead.

tonight bella does seem a little brighter and her belly feels cool (it's been hot to touch all week) So we're hoping she's fighting back on her own.
We were warned she would have relapses so not panicking too much this time.

glad to hear most cysts turn out harmless, didn't realise it was so common in pups.

On a side note......

Some of you will remember the problems we had getting the right diagnosis and follow up treatment from our vets.

I'm happy to report that since we complained very loudly about Bellas treatment, they cannot do enough to help and are really bucking their ideas up. bellas at last getting the kind of service and care we hope and pay for :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts