Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Davy (5.5 mos) was chasing my friend's cat at full speed in a pretty small apartment. He cut a corner too close and smacked his paw on the wall.

After about 30 seconds of whining he seemed to feel better, but he has been favoring his paw off and on all day today. It seems to come and go with his activity level (duh), although he WILL let me touch his leg/paw all over with no wincing.

My plan is to give him a few days of decreased activity to see if it gets better, but I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this before? Do you think I should take him to the vet now? Is there anything they will say I should do other than to make sure he takes it easy?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linn last week i heard peanut cry came running, she limped all day and into the night
I even hand fed her that night as she couldn't stand without it hurting
she laid by me most of the night
and
next day she was fine so i cancelled my vet visit

I'd keep an eye on your doodle, check the leg and paw/pads
and yes have your doodle rest for a day or two

but if keeps crying in pain or doesn't improve then i'd call the vet

·
Registered
593 Posts
Maybe you could call them and ask?
Just talk to vets and see what they reccomend...
Maybe you already did that already, just a thought.

Hope poor puppy feels better soon!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dex hurt his toe a few months ago...you can gently examine the paws to see where the pain is (very very gentle squeeze)...I can tell you the vet will tell you to either 1) rest or 2) take an x-ray. I'd go with the rest first...we had Dex on a leash for 4 days (so he couldn't play with Kirby) and it got better all by itself (we were just going to get x-rays the next day). If the pain gets worse I would definitely call the vet.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If he has full range of motion and no noticeable swelling, I'd feel safe leaving it for a couple days to see how he does. If it keeps being a problem, of course I'd take him in. Young pups like babies, have softer bones than us old folk, so it's really pretty hard to break a bone unless they're hit really hard or bent in some odd way under pressure.

Soft tissue injuries such as sprains or even bruises can be almost as painful as a break and can actually take longer to heal because it's not incapacitating, so they tend to keep using it and aggravating it over and over.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts