Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Napa is done with his puppy shots next week, and so I am starting to think of enrolling him in puppy classes. So my question is, what types of training have you used, and did you feel it was worth your money? I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to right now. But, its starting to become obvious that Napa is in need of some training. As he's getting bigger, and stronger, he's pulling more, and we really need to work on coming when called, and the other basics.

Thanks,
Kristen

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I used PetsMart. It can be fine, depending on the instructor you get. I liked the instructor Dakota had for most of his training, but he had a different trainer for clicker training and I didn't care for her. I think PetsMart was about $100 per six week session. You can probably do as well or better with a training facility.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PetsMart is right across the street from me, so that would be convient. I guess I should ask around here and see what people think.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We went to Petsmart ... primarily to socialize Ebbe ... she just wanted to play, but we did pick up some good training tips. Enough to know we needed more and then we went with a private trainer from her daycare!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I took Uma to Petsmart also. She LOVED class for the social aspect and learned a lot. With all puppy training class you get out what you put in. We were diligent with her "homework," making sure to practice, practice, practice. Training treats were our best friend. As soon as she saw those coming out, she was a whole other pup. Best news about training is that doodles are the smartest dogs in the whole world. :D

Good Luck, Napa.

G

·
Maya goes to petsmart puppy classes right now and it is $109 for 8 weeks. The first couple weeks the instructor did a lot of talking on puppy behavior and I didn't eally care for that beacuse most of that stuff is covered in training books. They talked about house breaking, nutrition, biting etc. But after the first two classes we have gotten to good tips on training and I see Maya starting to get it. A tip I learned by accident....I make sure that Maya has a medium amount of play/exercise before we go to school so she is not so hyper and will leave the other pups alone. The other owners think she is such a calm pup!!! Looks are decieving!!! hahahaha

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lucy went to a dog training club. She actually was so excited (even after we tried to tire her out with a long walk beforehand) that it was very stressful to take her. We did learn a lot about how to train her but those other dogs were so exciting to see that she had a very hard time listening. She wanted to PLAY, PLAY, PLAY!!!!!! The real benefit was using and practicing the techniques they taught us in the days after the class.
The instructor said she had a lot of personality -- go figure -- she's a doodle!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll call Petsmart in the morning. He's really starting to pull on the leash, and we really need to get sit down better than we do!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Kristin,

We did the Petsmart classes too. We found them to be good. I am trying to find something for Kirby and our local park has classes too (and they're much much cheaper). Petsmart was great for socialization which was IMO as important as the training part of the class. Good luck :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts