Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

One more question from me! :) Often when we give our puppy a bone of some sort (lamb/beef, chicken frames, etc - all raw!) she will vomit up a chunk of bone several hours later). She seems to not realise that she should not swallow chunks of bones.

Is this something she might grow out of? (she is 6 months old at the moment).

Should we avoid giving her bones for a while? (or is it more important that she is able to chew on bones).

Thanks again for the answers :)

Cheers,
Kim :)

G

·
Hi Kim,
I think I would be nervous with her eating the pieces of bone. Can you just give her beefy marrow bones for a few months? These are really thick and Bella is a power chewer and she can only put little scrapes into the bone, she has never gotten a piece off them yet (She does try!). She loves them and they keep her teeth sooo clean!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Marrow bones are the best and you can get them from your local butcher. I have always been afraid to give bones to my dogs even though a lot of people do.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
itoo wont' give max any bones as he is a power chewer and i have seen him rip bones in half...He gets his kong and sometimes a treat inside :D
bully sticks are out as they give sbd's and mushy poops

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I know a lot of you out there are anti-raw hide, but Cinnamon was a power chewer. The vet told us that raw hide is ok but DO NOT get the ones with the knots on the ends. Only get the roll kind. They can (and will) chew the knots off and swallow them whole. That's not good. And I always throw away the raw hide when I see it's getting too small.

I will never give a dog another meat bone. Never. I had a beloved pet die from a perforated bowl from a bone fragment - and yes it was a raw bone. Bones do splinter when enough pressure is applied.

G

·
Cinsmom, that is so sad. I'm sorry.
Our vet said the same thing about rawhide, no knots and the bigger, the better....so I went out and bought the biggest rawhide roll I could find...It is about 18 inches long and Bella is AFRAID of it! She barks at it and hops at it and runs from it. When I need some comedy relief, I take it out of the closet where it is safely hidden away. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
What are spd's? Buffy loves her bully sticks :cry: Should I stop giving her those? I've noticed a mushy poo or two, but it's usually after she has helped Buster eat his food (thoughtful, isn't she?).
I've also been giving her an edible bone made by Nylabone. She loves them.
I have always remembered trainers/vets, etc. saying no rawhide, no rawhide, no rawhide. However, then pet shops still sell alot of them? If they were as bad as all that, don't you think they'd stop making/selling them? I do think you have to be very careful with them. They do get awfully mushy, and if a doggy is chewing in the same place the attached section will come off whole and go choke them. I think the rolls or flat sheets are probably safest - but still keep on eye of them when they are chewing on them.

Here's a quick story about rawhide bones. I live in the house my sister used to live in, and we have a spiral staircase in the back of the house. When my middle boy (now 7) was little, we didn't want him to go up the steps because they were steep and metal and a little dangerous for a 2 year old. Turns out, he was really scared of rawhide bones. THeir dog had some, so we would put the bones where we didn't want Mikey to go and it worked like an invisible fence. We put one on the steps and on the fireplace, and he wouldn't go near them. It was hysterical.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
betty....SBD;s are a polite way of saying Room clearing silent but deadly gas!! aka toots

most dogs don't really digest rawhide bones

and yes there are many things that aren't great for dogs but as long as people buy them ...they'll sell them. Even like cheap and/or un-nutritional dog food.

·
Registered
116 Posts
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!
I can't believe I asked what an "sbd" is!!!! If I had said it out loud I would have gotten it right away!!! Funny how things seem so different in print.
Yes, Buffy has had a room clearer or two in her short time here. But we are used to it with Buster the Wonder Dog here - he's been doing that for 11 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. And sorry to Cinsmom - that is very sad :( And scary!

The bones we feed our puppy are lamb offcuts and beef brisket (as well as chicken frames). This is what we were told to feed her by the breeder.

But yeah - we find that at least once a week she will vomit up a piece of bone - only small pieces, but quite sharp (and usually along with some bile). So I am worried that one day she will rupture something - it can't be good!

I'll try to find some marrow bones. Should we get her another source of calcium if we reduce her bone intake?

Cheers,
Kim

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
becky i am sooooo sorry to hear what happened to your previous dog and a bone. Main reason i don't give max bones...he can split/splinter any bone to-date in under an hour. And now with what happened to peanut i guess you could say i am a bit neurotic ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do people use as alternatives for bones - to ensure the dogs get the right amount of chewing excersize, and calcium?

Cheers,
Kim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts