Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've mentioned Pork Chop, our neighbor's walker coonhound. He's just a living doll of a dog, and Dexter's best bud. So when the neighbors came over and said they forgot to make boarding plans for their vacation, and would we watch him, we said sure.

A little background...Hubby and I gripe among ourselves all the time about the situation. Neighbor-guy seems to love PC, wife does not. She's open about the fact that she hates him. Because he barks and is not well behaved. He's only 18 months old, for cripes sake, and he's had no training. And he is kept in about a 8 x 8 foot chain link pen across the road, with no shelter and no company. Anyway, enough of my opinion, it's their dog. So we have been going across the road to feed and water and spend a little time with him. The gate is nearly impossible to open and close, and is a pain in the butt. And it's gotten so cold here at night, and rainy. It breaks my heart. But she spefically said NOT to bring him in, he doesn't like cats.

So Hubby had a brilliant idea. We have a tie-out at the shed for Dex, which he never used cause he hates being out alone. PC could get into the shed and we put a blankie in there for him. He's snug as a bug in a rug, and happy, and right next to the house so we can see him more.

Last night I was cooking and heard a horrible commotion. Barking snarling, etc. Hubby ran out and the neighbor's rottweiler, the vicious one, was here, and they were fighting. He got there just in time to chase off the rott, who was by the way getting his butt beat by PC. I looked Pork Chop over well and he is fine. I called the owner and she nonchalantly told me he had bent his gate and he gets out sometimes, oh well. And she said, he just got home and he's fine. Huh? WTF?

Anyway, I have a call in to the mayor. And she's damned lucky I didn't have to quit cooking to run PC to an emergency vet.

Okay, I'm done now!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Poor Neighbor Guy and Pork Chop - he should dump Wife from Hell :twisted: off at the animal shelter - but she'd probably never get adopted!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
tykesmom said:
Poor Neighbor Guy and Pork Chop - he should dump Wife from Hell :twisted: off at the animal shelter - but she'd probably never get adopted!!!
Bahhahahahahhahahhha
POST OF THE DAY

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yehhh and the problem is PC has to go back and live with her... People like that should not be allowed to have pets. Hope DH stands up to her somehow

·
Registered
985 Posts
Poor Pork Chop! But in our state you're not allowed to leave an animal penned with no shelter; I would think a call to the local animal welfare society might get you some assistance for the poor guy. Or were you the one who said there's no such in your area because you're so rural? Anyway, that's definitely cruelty to animals.

Hope you get some joy from the mayor. What an idiot that Rottweiler owner is! And how infuriating!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I feel bad for PorkcChop....he's still also a big puppy as coonhounds take a long time to mature. I had one back in late 1980;s and unfortunately many people who use them for hunting keep them chained outside or in a big pen all day. These dogs are VERY energetic but tough as nails and fierce if defending the family.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, they're home. They came by and I found out they take Pork Chop into the garage at night. I didn't know that. So at least he's getting shelter then. He gets him out for runs almost daily and takes him for rides in the jeep, etc. I know he's stopped by on a few occasions and asked if we'd like to grab Dex and go along to the fields. So he's not one of those dogs wasting away in a pen. But it's just the fact that if he were mine, he'd learn his house manners and be curled up on the couch with me! I just love him to pieces. And I just think dogs are better dogs if they live with a family. We had outdoor-only dogs when I grew up on the farm and I know it's do-able to have a happy outdoor dog. I guess I'm just heavily into spoiling :twisted:

As far as the rott goes, I'm a little torn. Remember Millie told me if he got out again, call and they would send a letter that would be the final warning. So now he's crossed that bridge and my feelings are torn. I don't want him put down, he's not the problem. Could I vote for having his owner put down?

I am going to follow up. For the simple reason that I am alone here with Dex for 30 days at a time. Kevin has his bluff in on the rott and can chase him off. I do not. I don't know what I'd do if he encountered me and Dex outside. Guess I'll see what Millie says.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Dextersmommy said:
As far as the rott goes, I'm a little torn. Remember Millie told me if he got out again, call and they would send a letter that would be the final warning. So now he's crossed that bridge and my feelings are torn. I don't want him put down, he's not the problem. Could I vote for having his owner put down?

I am going to follow up. For the simple reason that I am alone here with Dex for 30 days at a time. Kevin has his bluff in on the rott and can chase him off. I do not. I don't know what I'd do if he encountered me and Dex outside. Guess I'll see what Millie says.
That's why the rott has crossed the bridge. He could have killed Pork Chop; what if Pork Chop weren't as able to defend himself as he obviously is, and you weren't home when the rott came calling? You'd have a dead Pork Chop. And next time it could be a child, alone in a yard with parent in the shower or otherwise not able to monitor. If nothing's done there will be a tragedy. Kudos for following through!

Leslie

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for the encouragement. It means more than you know, coming from responsible loving dog people.

I get tears in my eyes thinking of the poor rott. Unfortunately dogs are a product of their owners. And feeling sorry for this dog is not going to protect myself or my precious baby, or someone else's precious baby (animal or human). ((((hugs for the understanding)))

1 - 15 of 15 Posts