Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting a labradoodle puppy in about 5 weeks (ohhhh, the waiting!) and I'm a little confused about inoculations. I understand that generally puppies are finished with their shots at about six months but how does it work with exposing a puppy that hasn't completed a full series to other dogs before then, particularly with regard to puppy training classes and doggie day care? I'm planning to take a week or two off from work when we when we pick up the pup but after that I was going to use doggie day care for a while so it isn't on its own too much in its young life. Do most training and day care facilities require that a dog complete its shots before it can be at the premises with other dogs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Taylor,

Most doggie day care centers will only allow:
- pups of a minimum age of 4 months
- up to date vaccination

Up to date vaccination is open for interpretation. As you probably know, the Rabies vaccine is only give at 4-6 months of age, so some doggie day care centers will allow younger dogs in without Rabies shot, because their vaccination is still "up to date" (since Rabies is only administered at a later age).

We started puppy class at about 3 months, and that was fine. We waited with going to the dog park too often etc until our pup was fully vaccinated.

If you do intend to board/do daycare, make sure he/she receives the Bordatella vaccination before you start (in addition to the other "5-in-1" puppy shots. Bordatella is "kennel cough" and is one of the most common diseases spread through boarding/kennels.

Make sure you post pictures when your puppy arrives! :)

Happy new year,

Michael.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello - Congrats on your new puppy! They are so much fun. Our Cody is 12 weeks and he weighs about 27lbs. They grow so fast. I was really worried about exposure before getting the full series of shots. I asked my vet about it and he said a lot of people have misconceptions about that. As long as the mom was up to date on vaccinations then her puppies have her immunity as well through in-utero and breastmilk transfer. I would still be careful but it seems like they are not just open to every germ before getting shots. I think encounters with other vaccinated animals would be fine. Others here may disagree but that's just my opinion based on what my vet said. Have fun with the new puppy!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, congratulations!
Michael has given you some really great information and Angela has posed an interesting question...I think that what it boils down to is to ask your vet what he/she thinks is the best way to deal with this and follow that advice, since you will get different ideas from different owners.
I personally feel that it is important to protect them from disease before they have their shots because you really never know if the mother was given the inoculations. Also, I have known of too many cases of Parvo, which is one of the worst fears for puppy owners.
You might want to do some research online too and find out what rings true for you.
I took my puppies to puppy kindergarten because it was held at a vet office and all of the puppies had to be up to date on their shots. I would not have taken them had it been anywhere else...I am a worrier.
But it really is important to take your puppy in to see the vet right away anyway so I would just include this question along with the others you might want to ask.
Enjoy your new baby!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!

Thanks all for the information - I'm feeling more grounded on the shots thing now and am more comfortable with pre-6 months exposure since we're working with a great breeder who seems to be very careful about keeping the mom healthy and current with shots as well as the puppies before the new parents pick them up.

I'll post pics of our new arrival in a few weeks and keep reading the boards in the meantime to absorb all of the very helpful info (in addition to the no less than 3 puppy training books I got from Santa!). Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts