Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh* So I was bored at work today and clicked on one of the links at the top of this forum, and found some Australian Doodles in my price range, and I'm starting to feel sad about jumping the gun too soon--- But... When I started looking around his site, I noticed that they send the puppies home at 6 weeks. Now, everywhere else I've seen AT LEAST 8 weeks... but I know that states mandate only up to 6 weeks. Is 6 weeks too young? And apparently they're desexed too, by that point. That seems really young to me. I mean its only two more weeks, but that's 2 weeks with mom and not some college student whose going to try her hardest to be the best doodle mom there is.

So, is 8 weeks better than 6 weeks? I really hope so, because that would make me feel so much better. I really shouldn't have looked, but I was falling asleep at work and puppies just make me feel so much better!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I agree 8 weeks is a big deal. They do learn a lot and don't have as many potty mistakes since two weeks growth can help. Also they don't miss their Mama and litter mates as bad for some reason I guess just more mature. I'd wait till 8 weeks for sure.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Definately 8 weeks vs 6 weeks
and as far as desexing goes, there are those who are for
it in early life and those who are against it, I happen to be
against it. You can google it, to form your own opinion or talk to
different vets, or other dog experts or people on this forum
and make a choice based on what you are comfortable with. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I feel much better now. This breeder is a brother to another Australian breeder, and she keeps them until 8 weeks and charges the full $2500, but his were only $2200, and with the CA tax, it would have still been about $2500 (which was our limit, because we couldn't afford the full $2500 with sales tax, or shipping or anything like that). I always end up getting myself in trouble at work >.< Anyway, Thanks all for your support!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
actually laws in most states say 8 weeks. I wait until between 7-8 because of those laws, my personal feelings and the research that I have read indicates 6 weeks to be perfectly acceptable ( I would still wait for three dayw after their 6 weeks shot to make sure there was no allergic reaction). I know that is different than a lot of other breeders, but I have had success with it personally getting pups that young and having them being the best ever dogs! They bond to you like you have never seen :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
This is the other side of the same question. My pup (one of Maureen's little lovelies) was born April 10th, so 8 weeks would be about now, but before I knew I was going to be looking for a new puppy I committed to a trip to Maine the second week of June and won't be able to get her 'til the third week. So she'll be ten weeks old by the time she arrives, and I was just reading Brian Kilcommon's "Good Owners, Great Dogs" where he states that 10 weeks is in the middle of puppies' "fear period" and it's a bad time for them to travel or have new experiences. Have you all found that to be an issue? Not that there's much I could do about it, but it would be nice to know that it won't ruin the puppy!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie we got Peanut at 9 weeks old and at 10 weeks we didn't notice many fears at all in her. In fact her 1st major fear period is NOW at 6mos

·
Registered
985 Posts
That's good. I don't know what I'd do if that age were especially sensitive since that's when she's coming, but I guess that stage doesn't occur at the same time in all dogs and I'm sure it depends a lot on temperament. Just heard from another friend who recently got a mastiff puppy at nine weeks of age, and she says he's fine.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
actually due to timing and memorial day I just drove a 10 week pup with me 12 hours and then two days later flew him 1200 miles alone. He is the coolest well adjusted puppy and his new vet said he was very mature and well adjusted!

I wouldn't worry to much about what you read, there is usually another side. Breeding and temperment are of the utmost importance. From there everything else normally will fall in place for you :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts