Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new here, and I have a nine week old labradoodle and a 2 year old labradoodle and a 7year old Bichon X.

My 2 year old is a gentle giant, he is amazing. The new puppy and him play constantly. Murray (2 year old) lies down to play with Quincy (puppy) so it's easier for the puppy. I've noticed lately when they play, Quincy is getting really mad and quite snappy. Should I intervine, will this be a problem later? Is he being aggresive or just a puppy? I've never had a puppy and a dog play before. (the Bichon (BJ) would never have anything to do with Murray when he was a puppy, and leaves Quincy alone as well)

I am just worried about aggression.

Thank you so much for any replies :D

not sure if the picture thing works here or not, but giving it a go!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi - and welcome! I use photobucket.com. Very easy, and your photo will show up in the message. Upload your picture to Photobucket.com - Copy the img link - post your message - click on Img - Paste your link.

Its that easy!

Your baby is adorable....love to see photos of all your kids!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I cut and pasted you link to see Quincy...he is adorable! I love his coat...is he a multigen?

I think that at 9 weeks, your puppy is just learning how to assert himself and to let other dogs know what his boundaries are...still, I am not there and you are so if it concerns you it would not hurt to distract them when this happens. I wouldn't step in with any discipline though...these tendancies are valuable for puppies to learn when they are living in the wild so it is very natural for them to learn it...still, if it is upsetting or too aggressive and if the aggression is unprovoked...things like that, you might want to have him evaluated by a behavioralist...but I really doubt that you need to be concerened at this point.

As I said, a distraction should work just fine. With my puppies I usually say, "be nice" and that takes their minds off of the play and they refocus.

If it is over a toy or food, you might want to do some training for that...taking food/toys away and exchanging them...but it has been my experience that no matter what toy a dog ends up with, they want the one the other is enjoying!

Not much help, I am afraid...but I would say to wait a couple of weeks and just observe it all, intervening when necessary and then decide what to do. I think that you may have an alpha puppy...

All of that being said, you are the only one to know what is happening and if it bothers you, maybe you should seek special training for the behavior.

Oh...and I have read that sometimes dogs in pain react this way...I'd check him over carefully for any signs of tenderness...

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thank you for your replies. No, it's never over food or anything, just while they are playing. It probably is just a case of him testing his boundries. I am sure if push came to shove, Murray would let him know. Ok, I am challenged at this picture thing, but I'll try again. This is all three of my pups.

Quincy is an f1b.

thanks again
Michelle

·
Registered
689 Posts
Michelle, I think I'm in the same boat. Chester is a 2 year old LD and sweet as can be. Archie is a 13 week LD and kind of a holy terror in that he has SO much puppy energy. We were afraid of him hurting Chester. He goes after the tail, ears or back legs. We've been separating them. Tonight they started chasing around and around the kitchen table. We let them go until they were pooped out. As for their wrestling we've been working on "settle down" to get them to stop. Chester will but then Archie ambushes him...Jac makes a lot of sense (as usual) regarding how they would behave in the wild.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Otto goes to puppy class, there is a young Staffy terrier and the trainer always pairs off otto with her, she gets quite agressive and otto just carries on play fighting, this worries me as I think it could get out of hand. The trainer said otto needs to know when he hears a growl he should stop! this to me is a load of crap! What do you all think am I wrong?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have recently read that if anything feels wrong in training...follow your instincts...you are paying for the classes, just tell the trainer that you don't want your puppy exposed to the aggression. If they don't listen...show them YOUR aggression! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts