Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kenai (11 weeks) went to a puppy playgroup for the first time last night. There were about a dozen pups there, from a hampster size little ball of fur to a half grown hunting dog of some sort. She, of course, was very excited initally, since it was her first experience playing with other dogs. She ran around for a few minutes, checking out the smells everywhere. But then she started hanging around the PEOPLE, not the dogs! I've never seen her with her tail between her legs before, but she had it there quite often last night. Whenever a pup would come up to her to play she ran the other way, or looked around for a familiar human.

I'm sure that another session or two will cure Kenai of her shyness, but it was very interesting to watch the way she didn't interact much with other pups. One other "new" puppy was very aggressive and challenged all the other pups. Kenai is very submissive, so avoided that pup all night!

One of the employees said they have a doodle in their daycare, and I plan to enroll Kenai in daycare when school starts up, so she will have a playmate. We'll also be going to puppy school soon as well.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sounds like you have found a really good thing for Kenai...she will soon learn how to cope with other dogs and it will be good for her.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cathy, that's the way my 7 month old is. We are preparing to leave on a trip in a few hours and my dogs are being boarded with a lady that is keeping a few other dogs. I'm hoping that Jorja gets the hang of it and gets busy playing with other dogs. She has been use to our 11 year old dog nipping at her instead of playing so she's not real keen on hanging out with other dogs. I think this experience will be really good for her. The lady also recommended me bringing her to day care but we'll see. I work at home and can't imagine being home and not having Jorja here with me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had our second night of puppy playgroup yesterday, and what a difference! Kenai started out shy again, but then she hooked up with a miniture schnauzer (both the same size right now) and they played the whole hour. They wrestled until their heads were both sopping wet from the saliva! It was hilarious. The other dog is 5 months old, and had a lot more stamina than Kenai did, and every time Kenai ran away and plopped down to rest the other dog would seek her out and jump on her! Kenai didn't mind, and they would go another round.

We were SO happy to see her play with that dog! And, she was exhausted when we got home, so no psycho puppy last night!!

Also, there was a puppy the size of a squirrel there (some kind of toy poodle mix), and she was the most dominant puppy in the group of a dozen or so. It was hilarious to see all the other dogs back away when that pup would charge them.

·
Registered
853 Posts
So glad Kenai found a friend. When I take Doc to the dog park, there are a couple dogs that he hits it off with and they play like crazy. If they are not there, he might hit it off with a new dog or he might not either. It's funny how they hit it off with some dogs and not others, just like people do with people.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is fun to see our pups find friends. Quin goes to daycare once a week. Last week when I dropped him off the woman pointed out another labradoodle puppy (an older pup - like Quin, who is now 7 months). There were probably 12 dogs - of all shapes and sizes - in the immediate vicinity when we let Quin in ... and sure enough, after he did the ceremonial flopping on his back to let all the big dogs sniff and approve of him (which he always does - he is a pup and he really knows his place, it is cool to watch the "protocol") he and that other doodle ran off together to play. When I picked him up at the end of the day, they told me that Quin and the other labradoodle played together ALL DAY. The "wrangler" even took pictures with her phone so she could show me! I just love Quin's daycare. He also did two sessions of puppy classes, which are great for socialization. It is a comfort whenever I take him to the dog parks knowing how well socialized he is - that he really knows how to behave with all kinds of other dogs.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hi Cathy-
I actually dropped off Sofie for her first day of daycare at the "Dog Den" as well so maybe her and Kenai are playing together! I just drove past a half hour ago and it looked like the pack was having fun chasing balls outside! I can tell you from experience that she will be VERY pooped for you this evening :D
Mike

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hi Cathy-
Sofie is a chocolate doodle but a real blondie in the face. She got into some mischief last week and and ended up FULL of burrs so shes sporting the shaved look! I pick her up at 4:30 so I will get to see your baby! We'll most likely attend the playgroup so we'll see you there!
Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Jac,

Kenai LOVED daycare! She was so tired when I picked her up! She didn't budge from her favorite resting spot all night. I'm so glad she can go there a couple days a week. The socialization aspect is very important to me.

We went back there on Saturday for her puppy school graduation. You could see the confusion on her face when we had to keep her on leash for a while....I'm sure she thought she was back for more playtime and wondered why were reviewing the commands she's learned.

We noticed over the weekend that Kenai is getting so much better when she meets new people. Everyone comments about how calm and friendly she is in public. I'm glad our pup is settling down a bit.

We have enrolled her in the Canine Good Citizenship class. I'm looking forward to that!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow! Congratulations to you both, Cathy! Please keep us posted...I do believe that Puppy Kindergarten is a great service. I'm so glad that you and Kenai like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts