Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cacao has puppy classes every Sunday but this past Sunday, because of Easter. But she was doing so well. And now she won't come when I call or sit when I tell her. Is this normal. I am still working with her. I won't give up but I guess I am just looking for you all to tell me this is normal. That all this work will pay off. I know she is a great puppy. And we are working so hard. I just don't know why we are starting not to do as I ask. She doesn't get a treat if she doesn't do it. So I guess less treats.

G

·
How old is she? Maya is just getting out of a stage (lasted 1.5 mos) where she wouldn't listen to anything I said. She is gonna be 11 mos on Apr. 1. Now she is much better with everything except for "come". That one is my fault though as I abused it and now she thinks come means no more fun. So once I stop traveling so much I am gonna teach her to come by blowing a whistle.

Just keep training her every day and she will get it. Some days I feel like I am speaking French to Maya as she gives me this look like I have no idea what you want me do. It will all work out!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cacao was born in November7. Four months but soon to be five months.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My trainer told me to make them do certain things, then reward them.
For example, if you tell them sit, only ask once, then push their bum down and the reward them.
Don't ask over and over as then they begin to ignore it, like it means nothing. With come, you can try on a leash. Try walking then backing up and say come, then if they don't come, bring them towards you. Reward them after.
I still have problems with "come" with Layla (10 months) when she's outside, but sit is no problem at all.

It is all normal tho...haha just puppies being puppies...good luck.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Totally normal. Very frustrating when you KNOW that they KNOW how to do something and they look at your like they've never heard that command before.
Funny thing is...if I say the same thing with a treat in my hand...it gets done! :wink: :x

·
Registered
247 Posts
she is entering the teenage years! one day, they'll be great; the next day, it's like they have no idea what you're talking about. our trainer also said to watch for things like long yawns or scratching when you give commands - it's their way of saying "i'll do it, but on my time." i think this phase typically lasts from like 5 to 10 months and then they chill out a bit. :roll:

·
Registered
968 Posts
hmz819 said:
Yup it's a stage she will come out of it. Just wait til you hit the 9-10 month one!!! It's fun!! (NOT!)
Amen, sister!! :lol:

Cacao's 'tude is very normal. Our trainer wrote a great article called "Teenage Years...The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" (http://www.adobedogs.com/teenagers.htm) and she said this:
"Up until adolescence, puppies are very dependent and attentive to their owners. At 5 months old, your puppy is no longer trustworthy off-leash for at least 6 months. Honest. There will be some exceptions to this, but they are rare. Puppies this age are confident exploring and will usually refuse to come when called in the beginning."

We definitely experienced that with Boo. And now, at 11 months, his recall is getting better. Not perfect, but much better. :lol:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Tobi is 5mos now.. :? and i can idenify with all of you..

at time s it seem s like he s got a mind of his own..for what
seem s like no reason at all he ll just ignore whatever command s
im trying to get across..

one word he does reconize though..it s *WALK*..then all of sudden
he s alert and ready to go.. :roll:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have a teenager. I am not ready for a teenager...hahahahahahaha. I mean my kids are only 7-6-5 and they aren't close. I guess this is just getting me ready for them...lol :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts