Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to reassess Dexter's arrangement for while we're at work. Currently we have his crate in our finished basement (don't worry, there is heat down there) and have a fence blocking off a portion of the basement for him to be in (we don't lock him in the crate since we're gone for 8 hrs). We used to have him in the kitchen, but since he still jumps up on things we are concerned that he could accidentally turn the stove on. I'm considering giving him the entire basement (which is fairly dog proofed).

He is now 5 months old. How long have others waited to give their puppies more "freedom" (or what is your arrangement for your puppy)while you are at work? I more worry about him somehow hurting himself than about him destroying anything.

Thanks for any suggestions :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. Just wanted to add in that my husband or I make a trip home over lunch everyday to take him outside for a bit (didn't want anyone to think we were terrible owners :oops: )

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
honestly I was in a position at one point where I had a 4 month old dog and a full time job. I actually crated the pup in the day and left him out all evening and let him sleep with me. I too would come home most days to take him out. he survived quite nicely and every other week or so I would let him out to see if he could do it! eventually (I think about 6 months for me) he was out of the crate and just confined to an area. So I think it depends on the dog. Some of the dogs here that I read about I would say no way!!! lol we have some busy little guys here now!

G

·
We let Boyd have the kitchen at 5 months old. We just make darn sure there is nothing he can get too! Yes, some chairs have been chewed and a little of the baseboard but that was early on - so far no problems with the stove. We have someone come in and take him out midday and then our 11 year old neighbor comes over after school.

I am so anxious to get home today b/c he has been so spoiled with us being around the past couple of weeks. I hope he's okay...... no cell phone call so that's a good thing!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is it just the labradoodle we have a problem with? we had two dogs for 11 years, we both worked and left them to the run of the house and never had a problem. Now we are retired have a labradoodle and are afraid to leave him alone. At night he sleeps in a crate which was never heard of 11 years ago, to us. What is the difference?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We had two puppies so it was very different for us...they were ALWAYS into things and destroying things while we were gone...it took 2 years and 2 pregnancies to calm them down!
I still leave them in the garage, with part of the yard blocked off, a doggie door to get out into that part, and a doggie door to get into the warmer house...into the hallway only. I don't leave them alone in the house...too many temptations and things that I wouldn't even consider, like pills, chocolate, coffee beans, wiring, things like that. I don't think that they would hurt anything, but I don't let them have the chance...but then, they are not alone either...there are 5 of them now.
I usually leave good chewies and I have a dog walker check in on them for walking or ball playing about every 3 hours if I will be gone all day.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I crated Cinnamon while she was in her destructive puppy stage while I was out of the house. I worked 4 hours out of the house and the rest from in home and she would be crated during the out of the house part. I stopped that when she was 8 months. That's when she grew out of her chewing the woodwork phase. She has the full run of the house now. We don't have a dog door. I'm always afraid of what comes in through the door that we don't want coming into the house! My mom had a stray dog come into her house once. I've also heard of opossums & skunks using the doors. No thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I used to worry about that too...we actually had possoms when we first put in the door (and roof rats...my gads they get big!) but then didn't use the doggie door...first of all, they'd have my dogs greeting them on the other side, and secondly it is a scary thing for the dogs to learn to go through the door. It takes training...so I think that, instinctively, most other creatures would find other ways of getting in...now, a skinny burglar, that's another story! (Still, they would be facing off with my dogs, which I would not want to do.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think we have been leaving Tucker to roam free in the house for several months (he's a little over a year). My husband always comes home at lunch and lets him out to play a little. We have been so lucky, he has never chewed or torn anything up..! We leave out lots of toys and basted bones or the kong with peanut butter in it. I think we just picked a doodle with the right temparment for it. :) Best of luck
P.S. We only leave him in for 2 days at the most, sometimes we do doggy daycare to break up the monotony.
Donna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts