Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few 9 wk old F1B puppies that are getting a bit wooly. Does anyone do any grooming at that age besides between pads, around the hiney and under the eyes?
I am contemplating triming the sides of the face a little & under the ears. My biggest fear is that once I get started I'll have to do a complete job. :?
Also... what is Kemp?? It says" Kemp is often found around the eyes & along the top line. The absence of Kemp is highly prized". So what is it?
What should I do with this puppy? :roll:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I did a google search and the best description I could come up with was "the short, coarse hair found amongst finer hair fibres".....I guess while undesirable in sheep, very desirable in doodles! :wink:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You usually find Kemp along the Top Line the most but it can be through out the body as well, it is a Fault and undeseriable it is coarse and if you shave a dog you can't usually see it for a week or so then Wow it appears if they have it. :(

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gracielou, I am overwhelmed right now...and have decided not to save back one from this litter unless fate steps in and leaves me with one of my favorite 2. The weather is quickly turning here and I get them outside every minute possible. With the weather, their coats are getting thick!!! I didn't know if people trimmed them down and I know that not much is taken off on the poodle puppy coat.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This is the only Kemp I've ever heard of. Desirable? - you be the judge.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Lynn you totally CRACKED ME UP!!

Vicky....you are too SUBTLE for words! Hi JACK!! :wink:

I've debated posting on this....from my poodle research and mentoring, I believe KEMP hairs are white (void of pigment)and on a poodle they are noticably funky - kind of in the same way gray hairs start growing out on a graciously aging woman (if I knew one) :wink:

My solid black poodle has some and always has had them on her back, but they do not fall out. They just look white and wiry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey Maureen! Copper has what you are describing except his have more gold pigment than the rest of his coat. Only down his topline, coarse funky hair that does NOT fall out.

Yeah, my Hi Jack fell flat. :wink:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Oh, that's my new over the hill name. :wink:

Here is a picture of Copper's hair. It is from the shoulder area behind his neck. Can you see the coarse hair on top? The sides are soft.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts