Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9 1/2 week old puppy (Hershey, chocolate coat). We have had her for 8 days and she came crate trained. Yesturday when I came home from work at lunch to feed/walk her she had puked up her breakfast. She ate dinner well and her temperment was normal. This morning she had diarrhea on the bathroom floor. She isnt house trained but has only ever done #1 inside. Should i freak out, or wait a day or two to see what happens. If she was behaving differently I would be more worried. Her food hasnt chained from the breeder.

G

·
I would monitor it closely. Often times puppies get intestinal parasites that are easily treated with meds. Also, the loose stool could be a result of stress.

Boyd has thrown up here and there (he's now 12.5 weeks) but the vet said that is normal for puppies.....as long as it isn't constant throwing up. If Hershey has diarrhea every time he goes I'd take him for a fecal sample.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, I wouln't freak out...just yet :wink:

But do be aware. Keep an eye on him. If the stools or vomit look bloody...go to the vet immediately.

If the vomit is food, make sure he can keep water down (you are looking for signs of blockage.) Then you can give a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not the pie mix, just plain) once a day to see if that helps.

You can also give a tiny bit of peptobismol, about a quarter of tsp (unless your puppy is really big, then a little more is okay.) but if you do, remember that his stool will be black! LOL

Check the stool...if it look normal, it is probably fine...but if it appears to have a membrane in it or is encased in mucous (sp?) then he could have worms...take a stool sample in.

Has he been to see a vet since you have had him home? If not, you should take him in for a well-puppy check. It is very important to be sure that he is well when you receive him. Often the breeder contract requires a vet check within a couple of days...or the warranty is voided. If you have a vet, you could call the office and ask them what to do...

LAM is exactly right...this could just be a stress issue...but since puppies can get sick very quickly, it is something to watch and take in to a vet if it lasts more than a day or so.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I am chilling out. I actually took Hershey from the breeder to a family fiend who is also a vet near the breeder before I took her home. We are now looking for one at home (kingston, ON).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts