Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What puppy classes have worked for you? I know of the clicker puppy class and I don't know if i want to take a clicker everywhere we go. I just don't know what would be a good puppy class for my labradoodle. Please help.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We took a puppy class at Petsmart. I thought it was a good introduction to basic commands and more than that was a good socialization experience. They would take a short break in the middle of class to let the puppies play and we thought the whole class worked well.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I do a formal level 1 obedience training lasting for 8 weeks
works great...i have not tried clicker training

·
Registered
260 Posts
we also did a "puppy kindergarden" class at a local dog training facility, and found it to be very useful. the trainer had a lot of experience, and had a lot of good ideas for useful commands and training techniques. she recommended that we use a conditioned reinforcer (which is what a clicker is) -- this basically means that you teach the dog to associate a particular sound with a reward (usually food). you don't need the clicker device to do this, though -- it can be any sound like clicking your tongue, or a specific word said in a particular way. we started saying "yes!" as our conditioned reinforcer, and it worked pretty well for training basic commands.

the advantage of using the actual clicker is that once you learn how to use it *exactly* when you want to use it, you are able to reward behaviors more precisely. more accurate feedback means you're able to train the dog more quickly, to do more complicated things. but for training basic commands with a puppy, for us the clicker itself wasn't really necessary. and it actually posed more of a coordination problem, figuring out how to hold the leash and the treats AND the clicker all at once.

-em

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie went to a puppy class when he was very young. We learned basic commands, alot of puppy psychology and the pups got some socialization which is important at a young age. Learning bite inhibition and how to get along with other dogs should start early.

Then we took an 8 week beginner obedience course when he was about 6 months old. This was more formal involving leash training and more of the basic behaviors. He would not have been mature enough to handle an hour of this as a young pup.

I considered clicker training but chose to stick with verbal rewards. I knew I could never be consistent with the clicker.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
good point DEB...i train at home till they're 6-9mos old
i let my dog's personality dictate when they're ready to do Formal training

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Interesting! Bogie is now just 4 months...........too soon for basic training?
His final shots are today so I had hoped to start him next week.
I also want to take him to puppy play at our local kennel..........

Soooo.........please help us.......don't know the answer either. :roll:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I don't think it's too soon for Bogie - I'm pretty sure we started Dex at his puppy class right after his last shots (16 weeks). I really think it was good for him to get socialized so early...we started to take him to the local dog park around 5 months - he's almost too social now :)

G

·
I took Maya as soon as she go ther last round of shots. I don't think it is too early. Maya learned everything in her puppy class just fine. We took it at Petsmart and I thought it was a good class. They also give tips on biting, feeding, potty training etc. I learned a lot and so did Maya. I went straight to the itermediate class which looking back I think I should have waited. Maya was still a little too young for that class. She is finally able to catch on to the things taught in that class.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your help. I think I may do the Petsmart Puppy class then do the Intermediade after that. But give her some time between the two.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i go early to my class and LOVE to watch the young PUPPY ONLY class :D

it also helped me out with learning how to teach young puppies to stop nipping, jumping , etc and start to behave with better manners, so to speak

i see that training at ANY age can be so beneficial for both a dog and us

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted when you choose a class

·
Registered
204 Posts
We've had good success with puppy classes. I would highly recommend participating. When Abbey was about 13 weeks old she started puppy class. The class is given by my local vet's on site dog behaviorist. Sandi is very knowledgeable about puppy behavior. All the pups have to have had age specific shots and a negative stool sample. That way the puppies can socialize without worry about getting sick.

The fist 15 minutes is free play. And that does the pups a world of good with socialization and biting. They also cover basic commands and how to deal with lots of puppy behavior issues. Abbey learned sit, down, side. We also learned techniques to calm a wild pup. One with the puppy crazes In each session we played pass the puppy. And we would pass the pups around and everyone handled them and gave them commands. And after class you can ask specific questions about your issues. It really helped us and Abbey.

Abbey is now in Puppy Class II (she is five months old). This is held outside and they will cover more commands (come, heel, etc.), to sit when greeting people and lots more. Just working with your pup at each class is great. The pups get a lot of greeting practice by passing them to the other people participants.

This week Abbey learned the touch command. When I put my flat palm out and say touch she comes up and hits it with her nose. It is a first step in teaching come and to get them really close to you in a situation when you must grab their collar. Come gets them close, but not always within arms length. I have already used touch a number of times. It will be interesting to see how we progress using this basic command. Basically, the class is helpful and fun. A good time is had by the people and the pups.

Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
sdrudge said:
Thanks for your help. I think I may do the Petsmart Puppy class then do the Intermediade after that. But give her some time between the two.
We're doing Petsmart with Sadie. She's only been to one class but it went well. The guy is super knowledgeable. His parents were breeders and he was a military dog trainer, now retired.
They allow your puppy to just be up to date on all shots, not necessarily have them all...just have them all *for their age*. Sadie still needs one more set.
So, you don't have to wait to get all of their shots. I think 12-14 weeks is a great time to start. Julie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Real Quick...in Max's class usually it's not All little puppies but it happened that way this time.
AND WOW just in 2 classes what a major difference in so many of the puppies last night! makes me wish i started Max at 14weeks
they're much calmer, more receptive, and really eager to please and get praise.

Why is he not switched ? because the puppies are a good distraction for him. AS if we get to Level 2 with Max....he'll have had some training with distractions already.

so for me, i'd say YOUNGER puppies having training is excellent!
and yes they may not get it all but YOU will and can keep training at home as they get bigger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts