Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! We'll be getting our puppy in about a month, and it will be a six hour drive home for our little one. Someone told a friend of mine to tell me to bring a bowl because this is a long car ride for a little one who hasn't spent much time in a car and he may get carsick! Is this common?

Also, any other tips for making the car ride home a success? We planned on bringing him home in his crate, but that leads to another question. I heard you want to gradually introduce your puppy to his crate, and you want it to be a positive experience. I would imagine the puppy the will be a bit scared, and if he does get carsick, that's not a positive experience!! Lastly, we planned on lots of breaks, but where is it safe for an 8week old who hasn't had all of his shots, to go potty while on the road?
:shock:

·
Registered
215 Posts
We had a pretty long drive home when we got our puppy at 8 weeks. I decided to sit in the back seat with her instead of putting her in the crate. I think the crate should be a positive experience, and the drive home isn't really a positive experience left alone in a crate. Remember this is the first time they will ever be away from their littermates. They will be stressed out, and not really used to being in a car. I would stock up on chew toys to keep your pup occupied for the ride home. Like you said, some puppies will get carsick, especially on that first trip. You could bring a bowl, but I would suggest (a whole roll of) paper towels, some type of cleaner, and a garbage bag to throw everything in if your pup does get sick. When we drove home, we drove through farmland, so we stopped in the middle of fields to let the pup out. I wouldn't stop at the "rest areas" because tons of dogs go there. It's just too risky with a young pup with no immunity. Good luck!

Bridget and Summer

G

·
Good point about staying away from public rest areas... just like you wouldn't let your human infant touch or sniff around a public toilet!
When Odie was a baby pup he got car sick especially if he could see out the window. All the cars, trucks & other things whizzing by seemed to overwhelm & stress him out more & that made his vomiting worse. I kept him facing away from the window or on my bare feet & a soft old towel on the floor of the car so he could snuggle up & that helped greatly.
Puppies are pretty resilient. They recover pretty fast & "forget" their early car experiences. You'll do fine!

·
Registered
128 Posts
my $0.02

We drove Cody 7.5hours home. It was just me and the kids so I put Cody in the front seat with me in his little bed. I agree that the crate would not be a good way to come home. I had him in one of those seatbelt harnesses but he kept getting tangled so I just took it off. He cried a lot the first hour but then he just settled down and slept most of the way. I kept one hand on him for comfort during the ride and that calmed him a lot even though he wanted to sit in my lap. If you have a passenger I would just hold the puppy all the way home. Cody had a big teddy bear that he plays with, sleeps with, throws around and snuggles. I wish I had had that on the drive home because I think it would have helped a lot to have it for him to snuggle into like a littermate. Make sure you bring water and a bowl. If the puppy cries he will be even thirstier panting all that air. Other than that it should be fine. Cody didn't get sick at all but you could bring some pepto bismal with you just in case. I don't remember the dosage (1/2t per 10lbs?) but smoeone on here will. Cody is about 4mo now and when we are on long trips he likes to sleep under the seat. I think it gives him comfort and security. If you puppy totally freaks out you could try moving him to the floor and covering him with a blanket. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the great advice-as usual! I know we'll make it through the drive, whatever it takes, I'm just glad I'll have some things on hand now that might make it a little more bearable for him or her.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We ordered some stuff called Dr. Goodpet Calm Stress from the MalteseSuperStore online.....Great stuff. I'd give one dropperful to a baby. It's all-natural too. I had my vet look at it before we used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.