Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us. Our puppy is about 12 weeks now. We cannot get her to stop biting us. We are very concerned...this morning she chased our 5 year old and bit through his pants and broke the skin in two places. My husband and I tell her "no biting" constantly when she does it and tap her on the chin or grab her mouth when it's really bad. Is this normal? Regarding potty training, she still has several accidents every day. We take her out at least every 30 min. when she's awake and every time we take her out of her crate or after she has been sleeping/napping. The last few times she as pooped or peed by the door that we take her out. Is she just not figuring out how to tell us? She's gone 1 week without going in her crate, so maybe we are making progress. I've talked to two others that got lab puppies in the summer and their dogs didn't have nearly this many accidents. Only half dozen or so. I can't even count how many our little pup has had. Any suggestions? A trainer we spoke with several weeks ago said to keep her on leash in the house due to the accidents and biting, which we really want to stop soon, because we want to trust her in our house and with our children soon. Has anyone else done this? If we do let her off for a few minutes, she as had accidents or like this morning, hurt our son. On the plus sides, she seems to have a good disposition and she is sleeping through the night as of 2 nights ago. We love her and want to make it work but can't have our kids getting hurt. Is it normal rought puppy play that will subside soon, or something else? Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi
We have a new puppy also - 10 weeks or so now. She also will play roughly and bite at times. She seems to go through phases throughout the day. She gets really rambunctious and races around the house, then quieter when she will lie in her basket and chew her toys, then sleep - then the whole cycle starts again. This happens several times per day. When she is in the rambunctious phase, she will attack and bite people as if play fighting with another dog. She mostly does this to my son, who at 11 is the youngest in the house. If she bites and grabs at his pants we 1)stop the play immediately and hand her one of her own toys or 2) take her outside for a walk or run around. Taking her out works the best, but you can't always drop everything and do that. Seems to be pent up energy that sets off the biting and aggresive behaviour.
Now I am no expert by any means - would love to hear what the others have to say
As for housetraining - Sadie also has lots of accidents - I would love to get some advice on this - we take her out often, and she always goes - then we praise her and give her a treat - but she will also go inside. It's frustrating - I feel your pain!
Hang in there

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same feelings

Hi Jeni...My husband and I are going through the same thing with our 8 week old puppy. The biting is constant and goes along with growling and moaning. We have tried a few things like the bitter apple spray which worked ok. Have you tried to stand like a tree. Our puppy usually will stop and stand back to bark at me after a few moments I walk away. Let's all hope that they grow out of this stage soon! Good Luck! As far as the pee/poo issues. We have about 1 accident of pee in the house a day. We have only had 3 poo accidents and he has gone only 1 time in his crate. I think you're puppy is definatley trying to tell you something by going by the door. Maybe whenever you see him over there you need to scoop him up and hurry outside followed by a treat! Good Luck with that also! Its so frustrating , right?!?!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Make sure you saturate the inside potty places with enzymes that destroy the potty smell as they will repeatedly go where they already smell it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Most 12 wk old puppies won't tell you they have to go out verbally, you just have to watch for signals which I believe is him going to the door. I think one of the bell ropes that was mentioned in a previous post would do wonders, the link where you can purchase the bells is
www.poochie-pets.net/holiday.html

Another link that Jacque has shared with all of us is very helpful in giving suggestions to problems such as puppy biting, chewing, etc. and that link is http://www.veterinarypartner.com/

Puppies are a lot of work but the rewards are so worth it, enjoy your puppies and give us updates on how they are doing :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Potty Training

The key to potty training is being consistent and setting the puppy up for success. This is why so many vets, breeders... recomend crate training and teathering - they do not allow the puppy to roam so they can not have an accident. I recomend keeping the puppy teathered to you to not only help with potty training but to help with nipping (common puppy behavior).

Good luck and just remember that they do growup - just like children it takes time and patience.

Holly

·
Registered
163 Posts
I totally love the poochie bells. I have a thread about it in general discussion called "Great product" or something like that. Check it out. Since we got the bells, Boone hasn't had an accident although he is 14 weeks now, so the age does help alot in being able to cntrol the bladder and bowels.
I'd love to say he's housetrained, but that might backfire hahaha, so I'll just say it's going well :wink:

As for the biting, I'm convinced sometimes that he's trying to kill me and is out for blood!
I've taken to giving him time outs in the powder room, where he can't get into trouble, but is away from us for a few minutes.
Doesn't seem to do anything yet, but I can at least get away from the little shark for a few minutes!
Hang in there everybody, it is normal puppy behaviour and as long as we keep up with the training, they will grow out of it to be lovely dogs!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Tina
Where did you get the bell? I live in SW Ontario also. Asked at Pet Value but they did not carry them.
Does your dog scratch your door when he paws at the bell? That's my reluctance in hanging the bell on the door.
Would love to find a way for our 10week old puppy to tell us when she needs to go. At this point, she does not bark at the door.
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Jannie
I ordered the bells from http://www.poochie-pets.net/index.html
The have free shipping and it only took about 4 days for them to come.
We did have him trained to scratch the door to go out, but we couldn't hear that at all if we weren't standing right next to him.
We trained him to do that by taking his paw and hitting the door with it before we opened it everytime.
Now that we have the bells, he pretty much just walks into them hahah They jingle and he runs to get us, or sits at the door depending on how bad he has to go.
So I'm sure you could train him to just nose the bells by directing his head to them each time before you will open the door for him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We got Lucca at about 13 weeks of age. She use to run after my two kids ages (2 and 4) and mouth their hands and ankles. She did break the skin on the little ones ankles. She was just playing..and didn't realize how hard it was. I use to hold her mouth shut and tap it and say NO BITE! She also us to takle the kids when they ran. She now seems to know not to do that so hard. If I had seen here being mean..that would have been a completely different story. But my kids learned and so did she. Just keep correcting her and tell her No Biting.....and try to get your kids to not run??????

Regarding potty training, I would say it took about a month of constantly taking her out and standing out in the rain with her. They just suddenly get it. I if they go by the door...you have to let them out immediately. Just keep going outside..!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
The chasing games will almost always end badly :( Sawyer chased down our 5 year old neighbor and scratched his face! I was completely mortified but I don't think it was Sawyer's fault as he was just playing! Fortunately, my kids are old enough to know better, but I strongly discourage any chasing or biting/tug-o-war type of games.
It is tough with young children but the puppy will eventually grow out of that behavior.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think what we are seeing with the young puppies is them developing their prey drive. To them, our kids are their litter mates. They would show this behavior with other dogs.

It's really hard to get them to stop biting and niping at anything, including the kids. Our puppy is only 9 weeks and we tell him "No Bite" and I always give him a toy to bite.

Now, when I notice the puppy getting bitey it's usually because he's tired. I put the puppy in the kennel for some time to himself. He usually falls asleep pretty quickly. The puppy is getting the hang of kennel training. Right now, he's in the kennel more than out. We start obedience puppy classes in two-weeks. I am taking my kids so they can learn how to work safely with a puppy.

It takes time for kids to understand that the puppy is not a toy and for the puppy to learn his place in the house.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Shaking a coin filled can works for me when the nipping and barking get to be too much. Sawyer is to the point where if he just sees the can he stops biting and barking and sits. He is so smart that I think he actually understands what we tell him, after the fourth or fifth time of course!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh I just had an experience with a coin filled can about a half hour ago! Coal won't stop biting my drip system heads and hoses and I could yell NO and he wasn't phased. I sprayed the bitter apple and I think he actually liked it! So, I thought my last resort was to try the coin filled can. Well, he went over to that drip hose and started biting it, I shook that can and he IMMEDIATELY stopped what he was doing and now he looks at the hose like it is a snake that's going to bite him. I hope I didn't scare the little guy too bad but I also hope he remembers and I get to save my drip system! Is this harmful to them at all? He seemed so freaked out! What exactly is it about that noise that works?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stacy, Isn't it amazing how effective it can be?! It is very uncomfortable to their ears, so I don't abuse it, but coupled with a command (ie. no biting!) you can eventually phase the can out or, as in Sawyer's case, just show it to him! I think it is a humane way to discourage negative behavior. Of course it is always better to reinforce positive behavior, so catch him being good!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts