Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to post a question re: this topic when I saw the title "puppy terrorizing". As I read the entries, I totally related to the situations. Gordon is now 13 weeks old and he can get REALLY aggressive with his biting and then once in awhile, a growl. I did some reading and it suggested that he needs something and to date this has been: a walk, food or distraction with a toy. I also tried pretending to cry and he stopped right away. He knows how to sit and the walks are also going much better.
Thank you for the information via this site.
Barb

·
Registered
333 Posts
Barb,

If you read Terror Puppy, that would be from me :). Good news is that Chloe has calmed down quite a bit even though she does still bite but not as much. I found a long walk really helps. Chloe is 11 weeks old so trust me, you are not alone in this journey!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Today, when I dropped Tanner off at his daycare, they had a 7 month goldendoodle that they were working with. It is a holy terror. Barks every minute when he is not getting personal attention. Never been walked or told no...obviously the owners of the dog have a lot of work ahead of them. Also, they obviously don't know about this forum..there is a wealth of information in you all :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm so glad to see people who are seriously trying to do right by their pups in training them to be well behaved. I abhore when people think puppy misbehavior is cute or funny and let them get by with it until they're big and it's no longer fun or funny... then the dogs ends up in a pound, or on a chain in the back yard. It's often not the dogs fault... yet they're the ones who suffer.

So well done and Yahooooooooooo for those who do try to be good owners. It's a lot of work now, but SO well worth it in the long term.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Peanut daily since she's been 5mos old has to do a sit/settle for 10 to 15min a day ususally 5 times a week. That means ignoring MAX< DAVE and my teenagers. it helped calm her and make her focus that is until last week :roll: i am now starting the obedience training we did with Max a few months ago. Teenage hood in puppies is NOT CUTE rather it means it is up to ME to train her properly and spend quality time with her too,

i feel bad for dogs that end up in shelters due to "not listening' or whatever. usually i think it' s cause no one took the time to train them as it is work but well worth is. hell we all train our kids :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK, since we're talking about being "well behaved", please help me figure out how to get my excitable Bigsby to be calmer when meeting and greeting people. We have actually graduated from obedience training and he knows sit and stay and off, but when someone enters the house, he just goes wild with excitement and forgets all he knows. He jumps and jumps all over them then, even if he sits, he immediately jumps up on them again when they have finished patting him. I feel so foolish, saying over and over "sit", "sit", "off", "no", etc. Part of it, I suspect, is that we really normally have a very quiet household with just my husband and me. Having someone new arrive is unusual and not a daily thing. He's right at 5 1/2 months so maybe it's the teenage thing, huh? How do you teach "settle"? It's so important to me to have a dog where I don't dread having people come over or where I feel like I have to put him in his crate when the door bell rings!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh good luck with that one :) we are still working on not jumping on people who come to our house and Dexter is almost a year old. He's very good at not jumping up all other times (at other people's houses, in the dog park, etc), but he just gets so excited when we have visitors at our house.

What I was told to do is have treats on hand when the visitor arrives. Make Dexter sit and stay when the visitor comes in and reward him for this. I have a friend coming over Sat so we'll give this another try. Dex is fine after about 5 minutes, but I want him to not jump up at all :)

The other idea is to ask visitors ignore your doodle until the dog settles down - then the visitor can give attention.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
puppy training/biting/nipping - and a new question

Thank you for all of the personal experiences which means I am not alone on this. What a great place to learn. We had a good day, today. A neighbor came and Gordon sat when told to do so, came when I called his name and stayed nearby. He really is a dear.
You are right - routine is really helpful. I can begin to predict his moods and needs and he can predict what to expect from me. I took him to the groomers to ask about trimming as it is soooo hot here and wondered if he was too uncomfortable. She was great - basically, just trimmed up his cute little face so he could now see and clipped his nails. She suggested not clipping him yet and used a few terms I was not familiar with. She did say he is not as hot as I think as the fur is also an insulation from heat.
Enough babbling. Does anyone have any advice on clipping, etc. I don't want to lose his soft fur and am not sure how it would grow in if I did clip it (months away). Thanks again. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow - I'm impressed. I would be thrilled if that would work. Like everything else, I'm sure it just takes consistency and repetition. It's a lot of hard work to have a decent dog! I guess I'm a little envious of my daughter's big, calm dog who doesn't even know how to jump (when he gets in the car, he puts his front paws on the seat, then you have to lift up his hind legs and push the rest of him in :)). Bigsby, on the other hand, can bound over the back of a couch...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
this whole page cracks me up.....Coco is a huge jumper and only sometimes will stay down and off people when they come in. We are working on it...the go to your spot idea is great!!! I am going to try that one. Though since we got out of our obedience class....she isn't so obeident about "stay" She will for a few seconds and then she decides on her own to be released. she will wait for 5minutes to go to her food bowl and eat when I tell her it is OK.....but to just stay down for awhile....forget it.....

It sure has to be worked on all the time....which may be why she is getting a little loosy goosy about it....cause I have been!! Too busy lately, but this page inspires me to get back at it!

It amazes me at how alike their behaviors are!! It makes me laugh!
8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Puppy biting & my kids

Our 13 week old puppy is in his biting stage. I'm spending time trying to teach him to have a soft mouth and I'm starting a puppy class this upcoming week. His puppy teeth are very sharp (as my hands and arms can attest to :-( The real problem is that my kids are being chased by him. I've told them to just turn their back on him, which has started to help, but he is really in a nipping/biting/barking stage now -- he even growls occasionally, but it seems more playful than aggressive. This just started the last 2 weeks (he was very sweet until then). I think he sees my younger child (7 years old) as a big puppy and plays with him like a puppy. Any thoughts on what to do as he (hopefully) grows out of this?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
puppies will chase kids or adults or other dogs that run from them, I guess they think it's playtime so you have to teach your kids to Not run from the pups and a 7 yr old should be able to grasp that and tell the puppy in a firm voice No, maybe that will help. 13 weeks is still a very young pup

Good luck !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts