Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so my dog is 12 weeks and is a handful TONS of fun and work. He is doing well with basic training...Sit, Come, Stay etc...BUT he is very mouthy and when he is excited and worked up, he bites everything! Several books have offered suggestion about how to deal with this as it is not O.K. for him to bite me or my kids, but none of them are working....He is not trying to be mean, he is just playing a little too rough, but it is unacceptable. Any suggestions? :shock: Leslie

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi Otto was the same, and still mouths when excited, all you can do is check your pup and say no bite, I say AH AH and it works, or blow in the pups face.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our doodle is the same age and I notice that he does the puppy bites when someone new comes to our house or when my husband comes home from work. He is just so excited to see them. It is hard, because I think that is their way of saying, "Hello!" but it is not acceptable. So, we try to have toys on hand to put in his mouth or we just don't pet him until he's a little calmer. Also, the high pitched squeal tends to stop the biting.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have been trying a new technique with my doods, who still occasionally put their teeth on me. It's almost always when they're very excited, some sort of transition like they've just come into the house or I've just come out to play... They're 12 months old, but are still so motivated to put the whole world into their mouths....so I see NO signs of aggression, just that this is their way of experiencing me. Anyhow, what I've been doing (and it seems to be working) is teaching them to "kiss" me. I hold my hands at my sides when they are in one of these modes and I say "KISSES!" They have learned this means to lick my hands and it gives them a way to use their mouths acceptably. I still also say "no teeth!" and sometimes will hold their muzzle for a second, but I always compliment them on their kisses. Hope this works for you, too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think that is a great idea. We are working on the "kisses" too (with the positive reinforcement) and that is going well. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kenai is 11 weeks old. We are correcting her when she bites, saying NO BITE really loud, and then saying KISSES right away, and making the kissing sound. She is quickly learning that licking is allowed, biting is not.

Consistency is the key. It's great to see that they do learn acceptable behavior at this age.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to update you guys on what I have been trying for this biting thing...I put his gentle leader on in the morning and let him wear it around like it's no big deal. When he starts to get nippy, I just pull up on the lead and look him in the eye and say "No bite", rather sternly. He can't get away. he can't do anything until I release his head. I of course release it immediately after he stops fighting and wait to see if he bites again. If he does, I repeat the process. He does not always like it, but he has actaully gotten better. I'm trying to check him before he "escallates" into a full-on frenzy. It's alot of work, but it IS working...
Leslie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts