Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
leo is a terror for barking at night. he usually sleeps about 5 hrs from 11 to 4 or sometimes until 6. when he wakes up he barks and howls loudly. we think we should ignore him but we cant because our neighbours are close and we dont want to offend. we have had him for 2 weeks and he still doesn't sleep through the night some nights. also when we leave him in his pen alone he barks and whines loudly. does everyone elses puppies sleep through the night? anyone got any tips on getting him to sleep longer and stop him from possibly getting separation anxiety??
also shutting him up would be nice at times..... :roll:

anyone?

·
Registered
286 Posts
For night time we have one of these:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... y&keepsr=1

I don't know if that is what does it, but Riley has slept through the night w/o barking/crying since we got her. When she had to be let out in the middle of the night to pee, she would whine, just loud enough for us to wake up and hear her.

We also made sure we took away free access to water a few hours before bed - small drinks here and there only. Also she seems to want to nap from 7-9 pm, but we keep her awake if possible playing and chewing, going outside.

We also tell her "bedtime" - and put her in the crate w/her cuddle pad, and pat her until she lays down and closes her eyes - usually only takes about 30 seconds now!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry to say that Ginny barked about every 2 hours for the first week that we had her. We just didn't respond to her everytime. We took her out at bedtime, around midnight, and around 4 pm. Then again aroud 6 or 7 when we got up. We had the luxury of letting her bark. Like I mentioned she stopped the continuous barking after about a week. She was 6 months when we got her though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am having the same problem. Oliver is 12 weeks old, and he will sleep till about 5, and then howl like a mad man! I don't let him out, but I stick my fingers into the crate, he licks them, then falls back asleep. But I end up doing that like once every twenty minutes.

Also, when we are leaving the house for a bit and we crate him, I am pretty sure that he howls the whole time we are gone.

I guess that means that I can't help you, but am anxiously waiting for responses from other folks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Abbey had always been good during the night. I think the first month we had her we would get her up during the night and carry her out for a pee break. We might hear a little whine or one of us would just be getting up to use the bathroom. We stopped her access to water/food about 5 or 6 pm. Took her out for her last pee about 9:30p. She was getting up early, about 5am, for a while. But now she sleeps to 6:30 or 7am. I think she could go longer.

She never howls when left in her crate. She will bark and fuss sometimes if she sees us. But that is unusual anymore.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i do know Peanut was 9wks old and for 2 weeks it was like having a newborn and we viturally got very little sleep.
but she did have to go as she had a immature bladder, and yes we picked up water 2 hours before bedtime, and walked her right before going to sleep.

we then brought her crate up to our bedroom...helped a bit
and then started to ignore her pleas and she if she went back to sleep
she did BUT we also made sure we got up and walked her at 6am
NOT 4 or 5am. by 12 to 13 weeks old she then slept thru the night

i wonder if having the crate next to our bed was the key factor?

I also taught Max NOT to go near Peanut's crate when we 1st woke up.

Max to this day if i tell him "shhh it's whisper and tip toe time" he will not try to wake DAVE or Beau or peanut up and quietly walk behind me in the morning or even late at night.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you've read my other posts, you know we had the unfortunate experience of losing a puppy very young. That means we also had experience training two puppies right in a row! And the second time was MUCH easier because of some advice we got from our breeder. They said to completely ignore him until we were ready to get up. If that meant he messed his crate and we had to listen to him howl, so be it.

It took us about 3 weeks to completely crate train our first puppy. I was getting up a couple of times at night, putting the crate in the room, trying to soothe him with my voice, etc.

But Wesley only took one week because of the advice to leave him alone. We put his crate, covered with a sheet, downstairs away from our bedroom so we could endure his howling. It felt horrible, (I kept thinking what terrible mom I was!) but he crate trained completely in about 4 days. Now, at 6 months, he has still never made a peep at night or in the morning, and never pees in his crate, even if we wake up late (10 am or so) on a weekend.

I know all pups are different, but I definitely advise tough love on the crate issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah! Not to hijack this thread, because I know I didn't start it, but we have had a major regression in crate training!

After having Oliver in a Crate by our bed and placating his whines with fingers through the gate, his whining has progressively gotten worse and worse...... and worse......and worse.....

So I read a few posts here, and at three in the morning a few nights ago, I moved the crate down to the kitchen and put a sheet over it, leaving plenty of space for air flow.

But does this dog have stamina or what!?! I swear he cried straight from midnight to five with only a few ten minute breaks for a quick power nap, I'm assuming.

We have the crate open in the kitchen when he is not in it. We now give him his meals in the crate, and throw some treats in there periodically throughout the day. Are there any other tips? Or do we just have to tough it out!?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds like you're doing all the right things! I like putting the sheet over the crate--I think it makes it cozy and safe, and when we want to move the crate to a different location, it's no big deal. It's always the same environment.

Have you tried a radio? That can help a bit. Also a warm pillow, or a pop bottle filled with warm water and then screwed back up tight with a towel or blanket over it. Something warm to snuggle up to.

Probably what you need right now more than anything, though, is a big hug and the mantra that "this too will pass"

You and Oliver will get through it! Just a few more sleepless nights ahead...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sam cried a bit initially because he didn't like and wasn't used to his crate. Having his crate in my bedroom at night helped a lot. I also stuck my fingers in and he would lick them, which seemed to settle him down. For about the first 3 or so weeks, I was waking up at least once, more likely twice, a night to let him go pee. I'm a pretty light sleeper most of the time so as soon as he stirred, I would wake and take him out to potty. It took a while for me to realise that Sam is a restless sleeper and will stir in his sleep. Once I realised that, I was only taking him out once. This was happening about 4am. Sam's crate is now in the main living area. For the past week, I've been ignoring his stirring and am glad to say that he is starting to sleep through till about 6.00, which is when I get up to get ready for work.

The crate training has been excellent. Thankfully, Sam has only had accidents in his crate a couple of times. First, when I got him from the breeder; he had to fly across the country at 8 wks. We think the second time, he got spooked while playing outside, ran into his crate and emptied his bladder. :oops:

Now, if I know I have to go out and he won't go potty, I crate him for a few minutes, take him out and he mainly goes on cue. It's quite miraculous. I say "hurry up" and he starts sniffing. Having said that, I do occasionally get "talk to the paw!" from the little so and so :wink:

Sam has one of those petsmart sleep things. When I first got him, I stuffed a pair of my old socks and a ticking clock in it. Often he would sleep with his head on it. Now, it just contains my socks. He still sleeps with it but he also enjoys playing with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Scout, who is just on 9 weeks has been pretty good. The first two night the crate was in the bedroom and after getting up for pee breaks, she would settle down almost straight away. We then moved her into the dining room. I got up a few times at night and put her down to sleep with no problems. Then i thought, 'i'll see if she can go the whole night.' She went til about 4am and then woke up and started crying. I took her out for a pee and put her back in for an extra 2 hours sleep. Didn't really work. The same the following night. She just didn't want to go back to sleep. So i've decided to work on a 'wake up once at 2:30am for a pee break' policy. It seems to work pretty well. She is still tired so goes to back to sleep and wakes up again at about 6am.

At 6 i then open the door to the outside so she can come and go as she pleases once i have ensured she has eliminated. That way i can get another 1/2 hour before work. So far it works pretty well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bella had a crate and loved it,

you gota do tough love at night guys, hard but true, if you respond and try to soothe with strokes/words they just learn that that's the way to get your attention and do it even more. We left her crate downstairs at all times

Put a sheet over the crate (fooled bella into thinking it was night time!) nice bed for sleeping, a space to pee (if their still young enough to need it)

And no toys at night time :wink: but put plenty of toys and treats in it during the day. That way Bella learnt the difference of the crate from night and day.

Bella grew to love her crate and would see it as her bedroom, nice and safe and snuggly.

She quickly settled into a night time routine, now she's older she finds the sofa/our bed quite cool :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts