Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the B/F and I are attempting to organize our class schedules and our work schedules to minimize the amount of time that the puppy is home alone, locked in its crate. Out of personal preference, we would like to be home with it as long as possible, but obviously overlaps will occur, there are only so many hours in the university work day and only so many time slots for classes. How long would you say is reasonable to keep a puppy locked in its crate? Right now our longest interval looks like it will be about 3 hours away from the house at any given time. Is that still reasonable? Or should I be trying to figure out a way to give it more space? Or can it go for longer?

What do you think?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi there
Although I think it is reasonable, it may still
be hard for a very young puppy to hold for even 3 hours,
Are you going to be home for the first couple of weeks???
Otherwise you may need to work on say 2 hours.
We were home for the first 6 weeks(alternated our holiday times) when we got first brought Denver home.
When we went back to work, one of us was able to come home every three hours, but Denver was almost 14 weeks old then. Others will
have different opinions and every dog is not the same. You are very caring and a great planner for your puppy's needs.

Sue

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was afraid of. The only problem is that classes run typically, about an hour and 15- 40 mins long, so add in commuting time, and that's about three hours. So what would people suggest if as a young puppy it had to stay home for longer? Because its looking like we're going to get a puppy after school starts, it might not happen that way, but worse case scenario it will.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I actually just expained our situation yesterday under "general discussions". But we kept Dexter in the kitchen (so if he had any accidents it would be on a hard floor) and he would be alone for 4 hrs when he was a small puppy. He would have accidents but he learned to do so on his puppy pads. It took a bit longer to get him potty trained than other people have posted, but it was the only option for us. He was totally potty trainied (i.e. no accidents) by 5 months. It can be done, but you just have to expect some accidents at first :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We had a period of 2-3 hours between when my wife left for work and i got home from work where our puppy was crated. As long as she was fed early, played, pooped and peed, she did 3 hours no problem. Just make sure if its going to be in the morning, you get up extra early to empty and tire out your pup so she just sleeps while you are away.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks for the ideas! Yea they're only three days that its a possibility- twice in the morning, once in the afternoon. So those are great ideas! Thanks!

G

·
We put an ex-pen around Boyd's crate when he was a puppy. I left his food and water bowl in the little area outside of his crate and I also left a towel in case of an accident.

At 9 weeks old Boyd was left alone for 5 hours at a time....

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that 3 hours is fine, so long as you are meeting his needs just before you go...cuddle time, play time, potty time...and then leave your puppy with a chewy and entertaining toy. Some peopel like to fill Kongs with different things. There are also treat balls you can get.
I like the idea of putting an x-pen around the crate. We do that with our pups from the day they go out of the whelping room. They have a sleep area, feeding area and potty area...although sometimes they decide to rearrange things! Still it works well.
When you leave him, remove his collar and be sure that if you leave the crate door open, it is secured and can't close, pinching or trapping him.
You could ask a neighbor or high school student (or another college student with a different schedule than yours) to check in and play for a while.
Be sure that he doesn't spill his water...you might want to get the non-spill bowl because it is so important that he has water.
Here is a good crate training site, it might help because it gives you the lenght of time that dogs/pups can be left alone:
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I forgot to mention...you could get a snuggle puppy for your pup so he doesn't feel so alone...and leave soft, easy listening or classical music playing or a talk show...but quietly (their ears are very sensitive, don't need it as loud as we do!)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luckily we're not that far away from campus, but we're 15 mins, and our apartment is on the otherside of the freeway entrance from school, and add in California traffic, especially on 101, and you've got yourself the possibility of a disaster. But unfortunately, the university has pushed most of the sophomores (this year's freshmen), and all of the juniors and seniors off campus.... Called wants more money without building dorms to accommedate all of the students.... so no, I don't know many people on campus. But we've already had a few people offer to watch our puppy. So we might need to take advantage of that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts