Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is it to get a puppy at 8 weeks vs one at 6 weeks? We have arranged to wait until 8 weeks becuse I know its better, but I dont know why?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hmmmm.......... I think we could do a search on this topic probably.....

But I will say that I don't agree with this for a NUMBER of reasons.

First and formost is the bonding, and socialization of our puppies. They learn so much in the litter, and with their mom or other adult dogs in the "pack" so to speak about deferring, and cooperating, submitting, etc. It's a valuable time and I don't know of ANY resource, expert or breeder who recommends or releases their puppies at 6 wks because it's GOOD for the puppy/puppies.

Secondly, to be honest, this 2wk period has the most practical and "dirty" work of the whole breeding period. Eating real food means cleaning or training with real poop! We work with our kids and pay them, and they know, as we do, that THIS is the 2wk period where they really truly 'earn' their pay. It seems less-than-ethical, to me, to release puppies at that time.

No breeder on this forum, that I'm aware of, releases pups at 6wks, so perhaps that's where you got the idea that they should stay with the litter until 8wks?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think there's a whole section of The Art of Raising a Puppy that has to do with this 2 week period. I read it a while ago, so I could get some of this mixed up. But I believe it said that it was during this time that puppies really learn how to be a "dog." They learn how hard to bit, what behavior is acceptable in the pack, what isn't. And stuff like that. Dogs that are let go before that have a higher tendency to not know these essential guidelines.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I find it sad that a breeder is letting puppies go before they are 8 weeks - they just are not mature enough - they grow and learn so much in those last 2 weeks, I have only been around 2 litters, but both of them I saw remarkable difference in how the puppies interacted with each other and people in those last 2 weeks.

Some states have laws against letting puppies be sold before they are 8 weeks old.

I have learned so much since I've been on this forum, things I did not know before I got Annabelle - things to ask and look for when purchasing a purebred puppy, thanks everyone !

Anyhow just wondering, if this is the breeders first litter or is this a routine thing they do, letting pups go at 6weeks - are they doing it because it is close to Christmas and they want puppies to be picked up before Christmas

I wish you the best with your pup however it works for you :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree with the others and I commend you for insisting on waiting until the pup is 8 weeks and for finding out why it is important.
Frankly, however, I really question the ethics of a breeder who would let a puppy go at 6 weeks!
Yikes!
Maureen hit the nail on the head...at 6 weeks is when the work starts for the breeder! That's when the pups start to get messy, very messy, smelly and very michieveous! They need the mama and littermates to teach them valuable life lessons. Without this time, the lessons may never be adequate because as much as humans train pups, we can't possibly understand what a pup must learn or how to teach it. Mother dogs are great at teaching good manners, and the litter mates are good for learning that rough play hurts and that if a pup plays too roughly, the other pup will stop playing...
They learn how to use their voices and actions to communicate, they learn hunting and survival skills that humans just can't comprehend and even though the pup will live in a home, they must learn these skills.
California has a law that no puppy can be sold until 8 weeks of age, unless a vet examines the pup and says that it is in the best interest of the little guy.
Thanks for caring enough to wait...and for trusting your instincts. This pup will be much better in your home due to your instincts to protect him.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure if 6 weeks is the norm for this breeder, of if they are allowing it because of xmas. I have met a few of their puppies all grown up and they are wonderfull, well adjusted dogs. I have seen their current litters in their living room, met some of thier momma dogs and thier indoor and outdoor facilities, and am very happy with them. We board Hershey there when we are away and she LOVES it, almost more than home. We will be waiting until 8-9 weeks, we want the best for the puppy, and we want her ready for crate and house training. We got Hershey at 9 1/2 weeks and we wouldnt want a puppy much younger.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm so glad you're waiting. It's just a much better idea for the welfare of your pup for all of the reasons stated.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I will agree with the others...at 6 weeks is when a puppy plays, bites, barks, growls etc with his littermates learning boundaries and how to be a dog and more.

as for me, i prefer the older puppy when possible

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Hopefully there will be some litter mates left with whom to learn these important developmental milestones!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have puppy parents that prefer to wait until 8 weeks and as mentioned earlier there are states that require a pup be 8 weeks. I have read tons of research on this subject as a buyer and again as a breeder. There is actually writings that support th 6 week theory for better bonding to the new puppy parent. Of course as a breeder I wait to get the first set of shots when the pup is 6 weeks and therefore wouldnt even consider letting a pup go that early as I wait to make sure an adverse reaction does not occur. With that being said personally for me I allow pups to go home after 7 weeks. Its not someting I push, I simply let a new puppy parent know when the pups are available, I normally give a two week window (7-9 weeks) and allow them to schedule what time works best for their family. Here is an article.

http://www.raisingspot.com/adopting/fin ... _weeks.php

1 - 10 of 10 Posts