Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to say that is my pup is left alone outside and she poops, she will play with it and eat it! (and you kiss me with that mouth!!!!!!)

If I am outside with her..she just walks away from it..but, if left alone she will eat it.

Do you think she will grow out of it? Anyone else dealt with this problem?
Any suggestions?

G

·
One of my dogs also did that when she was a pup (she'd eat her own & other dog's poop also) but she outgrew it after about 6 months of age. We looked into remedies like some stuff you put in their food that makes their poop taste "undesirable" (as if it weren't undesirable enough :? ) but we decided not to get it since we don't like the idea of giving our pets extra chemicals that their body has to deal with. We just made sure we kept an eye on her & always scooped the poop right away.
One time I saw her run up behind our other dog who was going potty & grab a turd as it was coming out & before it even hit the ground yet -- mmm, mmm, nice & fresh, right out of the oven!! Well, in that split-second, I became an absolute lunatic madwoman -- before I had time to think, I ran across the yard to her faster than I have ever run in my whole life, screaming at the top of my lungs & opened her mouth to get it out before she could swallow it -- she never even knew what happened -- she stood there with this dazed look on her face & I was doubled over gasping for air & gagging from what I had just done!!
Ahhh, what fond memories I have of being a Dog-Mom. But, truth be told, I wouldn't trade a minute of it (well, except maybe the minute I just described) - they've always given me millions times more love in return.
So, I have no real remedy except vigilance & time for the pup to outgrow it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ewww!!! That is disgusting and hilarious! Isn't it crazy what puppies and children will put you through?! I am doing and saying things I never thought I would do or say!
I had people over and Sawyer decided to go digging for gold (a.k.a. cat poop) and I did like PatsyDaisy and stuck my hand in his mouth and took out the poop and flung it far and away and then attempted to keep conversing as if I did not have cat poop on my hands!
Ah! Good times...

G

·
Hiya!

I always find this an funny subject lol!! But it isnt so funny for the poor owner who has to see it lol!! :oops:
The name for the condition is Coprophagia. And in general the pup tends to grow out of it, although some say that the reason for the dog eating the faeces is to correct a digestive problem. But mostly they just outgrow doing it with nothing wrong with them at all.

Cleaning the poo up as quickly as possible...without too much fuss is probably the best cure for it. For some dogs when being house trained... if a big fuss is made that they have had an accident on the floor, and the owner makes a big whoo ha about it...then the pup can also be trying to hide it from its owner by eating it!!!
I have heard you can also add a couple of pinapple chunks to the meals as when it is digested the dogs wont go near their poos!

Hope this helps!

Marion :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I tried the remedies a few years ago when I had a poop eater :roll: but it did not work. I do think cleaning it up as much as you can does help it is a nasty little habit for sure. mybe someone else has a better cure than I do for you. :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pooh eater

We had a dog that also ate it's pooh (and the cat's also!). Our vet suggested we add Adolphs meat tenderizer to her food - then she wouldn't like the taste. It worked for her - good luck!

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is unbelievably gross. I am still laughing about the the screaming mom running across the yard and pulling poop out of her puppy's mouth!!! I have done this exact thing and then stood there with my hand full of poop wondering who is crazier, me or my pups! Both George and Gracie (5 1/2 months) love(d) to eat poop. They even created a tag team where they would wait for each other to produce a nice fresh snack. With two of them, they always got to it before we could scoop it up. We tried the Adolph's and the stuff the sell at the pet store. Nothing worked. We just developed a strong ability to avert our eyes and pretend it wasn't happening. We even made jokes about how we only needed to feed the pups once - ever! They're big recyclers, har, har. It's still just too yucky!!

I think they've grown out of it because we find a lot more poop in their yard than we used to. But it's hard to say, because we've become so good at pretending it's not happening. And even if they have outgrown it, they're still eating the goose poop and fox poop and deer poop they get out here on our farm.

Our vet said that poop actually has nutrients in it and that it's not really a health issue if it's their own.....but still. Puppy kisses take on a whole new meaning.

And every so often you can run like a screaming maniac across the yard and maybe you'll make some progress! Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been getting a lot a similar stories here. Do you think this is a lab thing..I heard they will eat anything? Or just a common puppy thing?

thx for the responses

·
Registered
4 Posts
This works for Bassets

What you are talking about sometimes is a vitamin deficiency. Try adding green beans to their food. It works for Bassets.

Tom H

1 - 10 of 10 Posts