Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 11 week old F1 puppy who is wonderful and picking up housebreaking and training well but one thing concerns me - she generally backs away when I try to praise her without food with instead a "good girl!" and a soft pet to her neck or side. When I just give her a "good girl!" she just stands there (doesn't back away or come to me). Whenever I have treats, she'll come to me and let me give her a pet but it seems like a bribe (I believe it's called "training"). I think I remember hearing somewhere that puppies may not like to be touched too much but when you see it, it seems so odd since they're so cuddly and touchable! I don't want to make the mistake of trying to humanize my dog but wanted to get some more experienced points of views. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
when i first got my puppy, he was the same way for awhile. it bothered me too, i thought i had a cool,non affectionate puppy, and that certainly wouldn't do. I just showed him extra in the affection area and that way, he learned to trust me and be comfortable with me and now is the one of the most affectionate dogs i ever had. he is 5 months old now and comes to me always after "doing his thing" outside for a hug and praise and all during the day and night that we are together. my hugs earned his trust, it was as simple as that. she'll come around, wait and see--good luck and have fun with her! debbie

·
Registered
209 Posts
When we first got our puppy he would sometimes pull away from my hand and look at it, as if searching for the treat. I started giving him more praise and less treat while training so he wouldn't expect it every time and eventually he got it. I do think it takes them a little while to trust their new humans, but just keep hugging him and he should eventually come around. Good Luck! Enjoy your puppy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts