Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am having problems getting Boyd (7 months now) to spit things out when we are on our walk. He spots something and it's in his mouth faster than lightening. Usually it's something that won't harm him but this morning he got a hold of a plastic gasket and it was pure hell getting it out of his mouth! He knew he was committing a "no no" so he delighted in shaking his head from left to right and somewhat snapping at my fingers when I tried to get in his mouth. Then he did all the puppy play posturing with the growling. I finally was able to grab the scruff of his neck to which his immediate reaction was to freeze and let me take the gasket out of his mouth.

This is not acceptable behavior - especially the "fighting back" and I would hate to see him ingest something that could be potentially harmful and/or require surgery.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi there

I always carry treats with me on our walks. When Denver grabs something that he should not, I ask him to "give it "(substitute drop-it)while bribing him with a treat I know he loves. Works most of the time.

Blueteal

·
Registered
103 Posts
Frankie usually drops thing for me. But the only way my husband can get him to drop anything is to grab around his stomach and pick him up, just a little, and he drops whatever he has out of his mouth without a fight. I think he is more startled from someone trying to pick him up, if anything.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
for Jonah, i use the gentle leader. gives a little more control when walking. when you see Boyd going for something, just redirect him! worked great for us! :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Today Boyd was an angel! He picked a few items up but spit them out when asked to do so. Last night he snuck my glove out of the bottom of my bag and dropped that too when I asked. Maybe I have a bi-polar doodle!! :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts