Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay breeders...my husband and I were talking about Labradoodles and their parents. Is it most common to have the father be a Poodle and the mom be a Lab? Of course it could just be coincidence of what we've seen.
:D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It depends on the breeder

Poodles typically cost more, so it is cost effective to use lab moms and have 1-poodle stud,,i can think of no other reason at the moment,,personally i prefer poodles over retrivers,,so in my program we have more poodle moms then retrivers , poodle moms work best for us with our goals :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
There isn't much difference really.

I have heard (although I don't know how true it is) that Poodle dads are best because the Lab pup can be larger and Lab mothers are more able to handle the larger head/shoulders of Lab puppies...

But litters are born from either and there is no guideline suggesting that one should be the sire and one should be the dam.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I heard it once said that these aggressive breeders choose a lab mom
to attempt to get more pups per litter and thus more money in their pocket. The normal standard poodle little is reported to be 3-8 pups which is considerably smaller than a normal lab litter.

sad that someone would choose to breed based on decisions such as that.

as a sidenote my female poodle gave birth to 11 pups ;) eeek!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Oh my goodness,

not sure how true that is,,,All my dogs have large litters,,i have to attribute it to the supplements i use,,but poodles can have just as large litters as labs,,they are large dogs,,now smaller mini poodles could have smaller litter,, Breed has nothing to do with litter size actually

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that this all is just handed down as old wive's tales!

Although, the bigger head thing makes a little sense because even if the Poodle is huge (mine is) they have narrow noses and heads...not so square like my Lab looking pups...still, there isn't THAT much difference.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
No, actually, according to the ILA standard...no docking.

(Doesn't mean that Jett isn't a Labradoodle though... 8) )

·
Registered
207 Posts
Poor Jett :( In addition to her questionable tail, her mom was the Standard Poodle. She can't win for losing,:wink: She has a great personality though!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, yes, indeed POOR Jett! LOL That girl is one of the luckiest and most loved pets in the world! No sympathy here. :lol:

I was going to mention that I personally think that when the Poodle is the mother, the pups have nicer coats...Jett is a good example...poor Jett! LOL

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have a question, I have never used a female poodle for the momma dog, simply because I started out breeding Labs years ago until the Labradoodle stole my heart so I just purchased a couple of male Standard Poodles, but how would it make any difference in the coat depending on which one you use as the mother? You still have the same two parent breeds, and depending on which puppies got which genes would depend on who has the curliest coats, right :?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hi

I have no idea why poodle moms puppies seem to have better coats, its just in over 5yrs this has been my observation,,glad to see im not the only one that has come to that conclusion,, :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yep, that is the only source of my opinion too...my own observations. All of the F1s that I have seen with great coats are from Poodle mothers.

Now, keep in mind, that my breeding females are F1 Labradoodles and the Poodle is the sire. And my litters are varied. I usually have half of the puppies with fantastic coats...the kind I'd love to see in every puppy...and the other half some are okay coats (a little too wiry for my tatste) and some are very Labby...not that Labby is unattractive, but it is not what we are trying to get with this breed because they are more likely to shed and be coarse.

When I see beautiful, soft, thick and lush coats in F1 puppies, it just seems to me that they most often come from a Poodle mother. (Not always!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts