Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 13 week old F1 just tested positive for giardia which was no suprise since she had a couple of days of explosive diarrhea, some vomiting and no appetite. We've put her on a med and prescription food regimen and she's starting to feel better already. Although I realize pups can pick giardia up from a lot of places, I suspect the culprit in our case is a neighborhood cat whose owners have apparently decided to use everyone else's backyard as a giant litterbox because the cat routinely sneaks into our backyard to leave a deposit :x (we have wrought iron gates and fencing that's just large enough for it get through). I've already been to Home Depot for deer fencing to attach to the bottom few feet of our gates and fences to keep this cat out, but how can I disinfect our backyard that is likely brimming with residual giardia even after my daily patrols to pick up the poop of our pup and the neighborhood cat. Giving the food bowls, crate and overall house a good cleaning with diluted bleach isn't a problem but what do people do with lawns? I would imagine bleaching a lawn leaves you with dead grass. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Taylor, giarrdia can stay in the ground for months. Bleach will not touch giarrdia but ammonia will. Just be sure to clean up with ammonia after a mishap in her crate or in the house. The meds will get her to feeling better in no time and she will be good as new. I found this site that explains giardia and tells the dilution of ammonia to use:
http://www.priory.com/vet/giardia.htm

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.