Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Lani might be heading toward her first heat. She has started humping Toby all the time. There is no sign of bleeding or swelling and she is not moving her tail to the side yet when you touch her back end. Here is my question, is it ok to take her to the dog park at this point? And walks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If she is in heat or could be in heat I would NOT take her to the dog park, I actually think its agiants dog park rules to bring in a female in heat. It can cause a lot of problems and potential fights, especially with un nuetered dogs at the park.

Taking her on a walk should be fine, just keep her on leash. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
have you taken a white tissue and patted "down there"?
it will indicate if there is any discharge which would be an indication of a heat cycle beginning.

if there is no discharge I would think it would be ok to go to a dog park because she could just be playing with your other dog. I know its a sign but without any others I wouldnt be real concerned. Of course if you get to dog park (or even out on a walk) and other dogs are paying more attention to her than normal its time to go home for a few weeks!

My female poodle jumps on her dog brothers frequently in or out of heat so for us that is not a sign.

:)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been checking with the paper towel and have found nothing. She is 9 months, actually amonst 10 months, so I figure it has to be soon. If there is no discahrge tomorrow maybe I'll take her. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am sooo glad! I once read an article by a very phenomenal shepard breeder about it not mattering if you think your dog is in heat, it will be a male dog that will tell you when she is lol :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Movistar, They are so right! Does it matter if it is an intact male or not? Will a female in heat illicit a response of some kind from a neutered male? I know this sounds ignorant but I've never had a male dog till Toby and never had a female who went into heat. :? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Its certainly not ignorant because I dont know for certain :), I am no expert I just have so much real dog experience but can't remember any of my neutered male dogs showing interest in a female dog but then I cant remember if I had an in-heat female dog around any of them! Sorry Maybe Jac or Maureen or Nancy or Diane or Linda or ???!!! would know the answer to this one :) help guys!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Lisa, I'm sorry I just saw this post. A neutered male won't let you know if your female is in heat. Do you plan on breeding your female at some point? If not, you would be better off going ahead and having her spayed. That way you won't have to worry about her attracting unwanted suitors :) It's much healthier for her anyway to have her spayed and you won't have to deal with the mess :wink: Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dixiedi we are not planning on breeding her ( maybe breeding after kids are out of college though), she has puppy vaginitis. we talked with the vet and determined that we should wait until after her first heat. thanks for the info and your concern.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sorry, but a nuetered dog will try to breed a female in heat. I know because we had one do it. My hubby laughed and said that just because he's "cut" doesn't mean he doesn't like to have fun. No pups though! Goes to show that dogs are full of surprises!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts