Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I got Charlie when he was five months old in December. Admitedly, the first month he was with us was hectic since my kids were home from school and he never really got into a pattern. I crate him during the day and come home at mid day to let him and his sister (a Golden Retriever) have a potty break. She has the run of the house and has never had an accident and I am at work for nine hours. I 'm watching TV tonight and he walks into the middle of the family room and starts to pee. What's up with this? He has never given any sign that I can pick up on to indicate he needs to go out. Has anyone ever tried the bell on the door training to get your doodle to let us know when he needs to go?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I haven't used a bell, but Nicky has always pawed the sliding glass door (the door to the backyard) when he wants out. I didn't teach him this! He just started doing it when I first got him.

·
Registered
401 Posts
We use a bell for Riley. Whenever he sat at the door, we made him paw at the bell before we would let him out. Eventually he started ringing it himself for us to let him out. Now, he just paws the door, but the bell worked GREAT!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
We bought the bells for Gromit and it took him about a week to start using them (the dog door that our house came with is too small for our big baby!) He pushes them with his nose which I prefer to pawing at them but we didn't really teach him that. We would just say, "Outside, Ring the Bells," whenever we let him out to go potty. Pretty soon he started doing it on purpose and we would praise him profusely and let him out. Now he does it sometimes when he wants us to go out and play with him so if he rings it within 10 min of coming back inside I feel the freedom to not let him be in charge of life!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI Bob

here are some signs my 3 doodles give when having to go potty

1. panting and/or giving you the STARE
2. pawing your leg
3. One shrill sharp bark and/or whining

also Beau is 8mos old and have found whether he naps 2min or 2hours , the second he's up and about......we go out

playing after 15 min of hard play ....take out for quick potty walk

15min after a meal

take up all water 1..5hours before bedtime

don't know if this helps but it's what happens here :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson was very good at holding it an then he went while we were home once...
He doesn't give any signs except for silently sitting by the door where we sometimes do not notice him.
We are trying to train him to step on a Taboo buzzer when he has to go, but no luck so far...
The bells seem popular, I'd try those, we are going to get some!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks everyone. We'll just keep working on. He's still a pup and he and his sister are still trying to decide who's in charge. So, sometimes when they have those wrestling matches I know that gets him "in the mood" In the mean time it's time for the afternoon running of the "500"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bob, our Pixie is 8m and still doesn't get that she can ask us to go out. I just cleaned up a pee puddle about an hour ago. I was sitting at the dining table and she was nearby, and I saw her trot toward the back of the apartment. She generally stays out in the living area with us, so I raced after her and JUST missed catching her peeing on our son's bedroom rug.

She knows she's not supposed to pee in the house, I can tell by her behavior when I find an 'accident'. I never yell at her unless I catch her in the act, btw. I just clean it up. She doesn't give me any signal that she needs to go, she just quietly finds a secluded spot. It's maddening! We have always had bells at our terrace door (we have a wee-wee pad out there), and she will now ring them when I bring her to the door, but she doesn't ring them to get my attention otherwise. I don't know if or when that realization will come, that if she rings the bells I will come to let her out. But, most people seem to have a lot of success with bells on the door. I would definitely try to train Charlie to ring them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
We use the bell with Lucas, He too, would just sit quietly at the door, and if we didn't notice, we would have a boo boo, took him very little time to understand how it works, just rang it every time we went out for potty break, he just figured it out!

·
Registered
659 Posts
MaxandMe said:
1. panting and/or giving you the STARE
2. pawing your leg
3. One shrill sharp bark and/or whining
Yep... Ozzie does any one or any combination of these. He also goes and sits very tall and formal looking by the back door. It's kind of spooky because we never trained Ozzie to do this and our Lab who passed last Fall did the same exact thing. Ozzie has only had one small peeing accident since we got him last year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts